• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 boxes of comics- pic added page #8

86 posts in this topic

If he's giving these keys away its just as likely he kept he personally liked rather than what is the best books for the sake of monetary value.

Or an arbitrary "cutoff" date (no book later than, say 1963).

Given the chaotic nature of what's left, is it not possible that was caused by the "search and pull".

I've got no idea, :insane: it's all idle speculation. Maybe he was a huge "Classics" fan, or loved Ducks (no shame in that) (thumbs u <--- (in a good way)

. . . and ain't ya kinda curious as to what's in the ten boxes he kept?

he definitely kept all the FF's, early ASM's, first 10 issues of DD, X-men. He rattled off a host of moderns he kept because he loved the writing: Moore stuff, Gaiman, Ellis (specifically mentioned Authority & Planetary). Kept all the undergrounds. Tidbit: said he couldn't find his FF #1, may have moved it somewhere to keep it safe and couldn't remember where. There was very little early Silver DC but he never mentioned those. The page quality on the early Marvels is so bad, i can't imagine how bad the earlier ones might be.

update: 7 1/2 boxes still to go. just came across GL #76. still no hulk #181 or x-men #94. was a ASM #121 and #129 but no #122 yet. this exercise has truly made me appreciate high grade collections- this is not one of them.

typed too soon- 5 books down was the x-men #94

If he left that stuff and a hulk 181, what the hell was in the 10 boxes he kept?

he definitely kept all the FF's, early ASM's, first 10 issues of DD, X-men. He rattled off a host of moderns he kept because he loved the writing: Moore stuff, Gaiman, Ellis (specifically mentioned Authority & Planetary). Kept all the undergrounds. Tidbit: said he couldn't find his FF #1, may have moved it somewhere to keep it safe and couldn't remember where. There was very little early Silver DC but he never mentioned those. The page quality on the early Marvels is so bad, i can't imagine how bad the earlier ones might be.

That would be awesome if he moved the FF#1 to one your boxes? :acclaim:

That would be awesome if he moved the FF#1 to one your boxes? :acclaim:

:wishluck:

Your neighbor gave you 25 long boxes of comics from the 50's on up... yikes. Gave you.. like for free?

well there wasn't anything from the 50's, '65 or so onward. according to him i was doing him a big favor by taking them off his hands. i met him through a volunteer writing program at a disadvantaged school. he doesn't know it but 1/2 the proceeds from whatever i end up selling will be donated to the school in his name. that's if my wife doesn't shoot me for bringing another 25 boxes of books into the house.

sounds like a fun treasure hunt. if i found the FF 1 I'd probably give him a call about it if he had hoped to keep it. sounds like you're into karma and all that (even if that's not the word you might use) and are probably thinking the same thing.

I Wish you lived near me I'd help you organize it all haha! I love going through comics! looking through comics & at the covers is a blast while sitting down & chilling watching tv :D

I tend to do stuff like put on a old tv series like transformers g1 :P

sounds like a fun treasure hunt. if i found the FF 1 I'd probably give him a call about it if he had hoped to keep it. sounds like you're into karma and all that (even if that's not the word you might use) and are probably thinking the same thing.

no FF #1 here. he quoted that it was worth $20-80k depending on the condition. based on what i've seen, i couldn't imagine it's better than vg. he wasn't overly concerned that he couldn't locate it.

Your neighbor gave you 25 long boxes of comics from the 50's on up... yikes. Gave you.. like for free?

well there wasn't anything from the 50's, '65 or so onward. according to him i was doing him a big favor by taking them off his hands. i met him through a volunteer writing program at a disadvantaged school. he doesn't know it but 1/2 the proceeds from whatever i end up selling will be donated to the school in his name. that's if my wife doesn't shoot me for bringing another 25 boxes of books into the house.

(thumbs u