• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 (1940) CGC 8.0 (MP) sells for $10,250 on Mound City Auction.

79 posts in this topic

As a side note I did get the email :-D

Not sure why I would have as although I bid on a bunch of stuff I only won a $100 book and had never bid before. I did not bid on any big books.

Anyway just an FYI.

James G

Definitely not a world record. The book sold for $10k and some change with the bidding and with the help of the $15k that Proxy would pay the seller, how would that warrant a world record if the actual bidding did not reach beyond the $10k+ point? As it was shown in the bidding, the price realized for this book is really the $10k+.

I also doubt proxibid is paying you an extra 15k and your whole story seems suspect. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just giving my opinion on the truthfulness of your statement.
I read through the entire terms and conditions at proxibid, and it seems quite straight forward that they take NO responsibilty... but maybe mound city had some special insurance arrangement or something else... but it does seem "suspcious" that an internet auction host would guarantee a price on an item, regardless of whether they approved the bidder or not, as they don't preapprove more than a token CC charge ...but I honestly do not know... I am sure mound city can provide proof of their statements if push comes to shove, but I am not sure , outside of their reputation, what would motivate them to do such?

that said, I still wonder how the book got to 41K in the first place...everyone knew that was not a realistic/fair market price to pay for that book, so who was the underbidder that kept pushing up the stolen card bidder? was it mound city themselves?...if so, a black eye for sure (shilling, no matter how you define the legality of it)...was it another bidder? and if so, why didn't they offer the book to them at their underbid?...

lots of questions, maybe we will get answers to them

I also doubt proxibid is paying you an extra 15k and your whole story seems suspect. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just giving my opinion on the truthfulness of your statement.
I read through the entire terms and conditions at proxibid, and it seems quite straight forward that they take NO responsibilty... but maybe mound city had some special insurance arrangement or something else... but it does seem "suspcious" that an internet auction host would guarantee a price on an item, regardless of whether they approved the bidder or not, as they don't preapprove more than a token CC charge ...but I honestly do not know... I am sure mound city can provide proof of their statements if push comes to shove, but I am not sure , outside of their reputation, what would motivate them to do such?

that said, I still wonder how the book got to 41K in the first place...everyone knew that was not a realistic/fair market price to pay for that book, so who was the underbidder that kept pushing up the stolen card bidder? was it mound city themselves?...if so, a black eye for sure (shilling, no matter how you define the legality of it)...was it another bidder? and if so, why didn't they offer the book to them at their underbid?...

Didn't he say that the "high bidder" last time was using a stolen credit card? So perhaps he did it out of sport, or for whatever reason. Therefore the $15k payment by Proxibid was for fraud/damage mitigation it would seem, and is in no way reflective of what the actual selling price of the book was.

Similarly, if my home was burglarized and a Batman #1 was stolen, and I fraudulently reported the value as an inflated $25,000 and was paid by the insurance company, should I report that as a "sale" and seek to garner a "world record" designation and/or report this to GPA? Absolutely not.

I see very little difference here with this transaction. The book sold for slightly under what Gator percieves (and he tracks this more than anyone) to be market value. Period, end of story

Didn't he say that the "high bidder" last time was using a stolen credit card? So perhaps he did it out of sport, or for whatever reason. Therefore the $15k payment by Proxibid was for fraud/damage mitigation it would seem, and is in no way reflective of what the actual selling price of the book was.

Similarly, if my home was burglarized and a Batman #1 was stolen, and I fraudulently reported the value as an inflated $25,000 and was paid by the insurance company, should I report that as a "sale" and seek to garner a "world record" designation and/or report this to GPA? Absolutely not.

I see very little difference here with this transaction. The book sold for slightly under what Gator percieves (and he tracks this more than anyone) to be market value. Period, end of story

my interest is really more out of curiosity... NO one buys the "record" theory, so that point it kind of moot... what I (and many) are curious about, is by what reasoning and for what reason is proxibid compensating Mound city?...seems like a good "scam" to pull off, if it is that easy to be paid 10K more than the FMV of something?

again, no acusations, just questions that I would like answered, but understand if mound city is not forthcoming with the information...sometimes, it is better to stay in the shade, than be "exposed" to the light hm

So, how was that price? $25,250 for a purple label 8.0 MP is not to shabby right? In fact to me it looks to me like it may be a new World Record.

Not sure how it could be considered a world record when no one bid that amount.

My guess is that the seller isn't complaining about his net? hm

He probably wound up with a higher net than he could have received anywhere else? (shrug)

but it was a "fluke" that that amount was paid, due to some proxy guarantee, I suspect? no one bid that amount, and therefore it is not a "record" since it is not worth that amount...bottom line is the book is worth about 15K, and that is what it would have gone for (approximately) if it had of received all the bids it could have

Exactly.

No, the bottom line is the line on the bottom of the sales form that I get paid, and on this item it is not $10,250 it is $27,095. That is the sale price, not what you say or what anyone else says. The price I get paid after the BP, that is what the book sold for. It do not matter a hill of beans who pays me, the checks cash all the same.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt

You should try it in the arena sometimes, you might like it, but it is not as easy as it looks.

meh

I see that M.C. hasn't come back with any explanations as to why the "Under-bidder" from the first auction wasn't allowed to buy the book,or the second underbidder,or third....which makes NO sense at all unless something fishy happened with this whole sale....involving M.C. and/or ProxyBid,at least in my eyes.

Why would ProxyBid anty up $15,000 when they could have just moved it along to the next bidder(s),and had no money out-of-pocket also?

Something STINKS. 2c

As my Physics Prof. says in jest to obvious idiotic situations:

2+2= Chicken

I see that M.C. hasn't come back with any explanations as to why the "Under-bidder" from the first auction wasn't allowed to buy the book,or the second underbidder,or third....which makes NO sense at all unless something fishy happened with this whole sale....involving M.C. and/or ProxyBid,at least in my eyes.

Why would ProxyBid anty up $15,000 when they could have just moved it along to the next bidder(s),and had no money out-of-pocket also?

Something STINKS. 2c

2+2= Chicken

that would only be fair if the crooked high bidder had not forced such a high final price. Mound city and proxibid shouldn't be reworded for having the final pushed up so high. I don't know if that is the case or not but I would be hesitate to accept an offer of getting to purchase thebook as theunderbidder without knowing what the bidding history looked like.

Something STINKS. 2c

2+2= Chicken

that would only be fair if the crooked high bidder had not forced such a high final price. Mound city and proxibid shouldn't be reworded for having the final pushed up so high. I don't know if that is the case or not but I would be hesitate to accept an offer of getting to purchase thebook as theunderbidder without knowing what the bidding history looked like.

my "guess" is that mound city was the underbidder...as I don't know a comic book collector alive (outside of a crook) that would bid $40K for a 15K book (shrug)

Something STINKS. 2c

2+2= Chicken

I thought about that as well after i wrote that,and i agree.Who knows what the actual "next real bid" was in that auction.

The whole re-auction thing tho,that ProxyBid did,without notifying all the other previous auction bidders,sounds wierd.Why would they limit their auction audience for an item like this,especially if it's costing them $15,000 out of pocket to start?

I'm still confused why ProxyBid is responsible for ponying up the $15g due to a "stolen credit card" being registered to auction...how are they resposible for someone elses "criminal acts"?

Something STINKS. 2c

2+2= Chicken

my "guess" is that mound city was the underbidder...as I don't know a comic book collector alive (outside of a crook) that would bid $40K for a 15K book (shrug)

I'd have to agree.

Something STINKS. 2c

2+2= Chicken

I thought about that as well after i wrote that,and i agree.Who knows what the actual "next real bid" was in that auction.

The whole re-auction thing tho,that ProxyBid did,without notifying all the other previous auction bidders,sounds wierd.Why would they limit their auction audience for an item like this,especially if it's costing them $15,000 out of pocket to start?

I'm still confused why ProxyBid is responsible for ponying up the $15g due to a "stolen credit card" being registered to auction...how are they resposible for someone elses "criminal acts"?

I am curious this explaination as well... when I contacted proxibid, they were very clear that they made no indemnity guarantees if I were to employ their site for auctions...