• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I must need glasses...

77 posts in this topic

I agree. FF48 could be bought anytime at the day. That 50 is so cool with Surfer on the cover and that darn full bleed brown cover . :cool:

Out of the 3 covers of the trilogy, I like 49 the best....but 50 is a close second, much better than the "Watcher wetting his pants" cover on 48. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:roflmao:

I thought the 50 9.6 was going to hit 30K, I'd bet the consignor isn't that impressed with the finishing price with 9.4s selling in the low 10K range. There has never been a 9.6+ up for sale and with all the crazed FF collectors out there you'd think there would have been more then a couple foaming at the mouth for this copy.

I knew 48 was pretty common but didnt realize 50 was that rare. I didnt know this one the 1st 9.6w 50 ever for auction.

That's pretty amazing! 28k now and last year maybe 40k for a FF 50. You would have never believed that in a million years back in my comic heydays in the early 90's.

Considering that $40K got you the White Mountain AF 15 back in those days, and even then people thought that was an insane price, then yes, if you told anyone in the early 1990s that people would be willing to pay $28K for a FF 50, they would've thought that either you were insane or we would have to be in the grip of Weimar-type inflation and rolling around wheelbarrows of cash.

512px-Zimbabwe_100000000000_Dollars_Bill_2008.jpg

Zimbabwe 100000000000 Dollars Bill 2008 [Public domain], by אני סרקתי (סריקה מהמחשב שלי), from Wikimedia Commons

I must need glasses...

Maybe you shouldn't do it so often. :baiting:

... the rationale escapes me... 20K more for a "number"...

I agree. Did you see where that Detective 27 with the "7.0" on it sold for half a million after some sap paid a little over a million for one with "8.0" on it.

$500,000 for a number! doh! I just don't get it.

I agree. FF48 could be bought anytime at the day. That 50 is so cool with Surfer on the cover and that darn full bleed brown cover . :cool:

Here's the thing about the cover of FF 50. Imagine you've just finished reading FF 49. Awesome! The Earth in the balance! Is this the end of everything?! You wait a full month, you rush to the drug store, you grab the new issue, and the first thing you see (maybe the second thing)...is Johnny Storm in a topcoat, casually strolling to class.

Kirby was always onto the next thing.

I agree. Did you see where that Detective 27 with the "7.0" on it sold for half a million after some sap paid a little over a million for one with "8.0" on it.

And just wait, in a few months you will probably see that same book with a new number in the corner with a higher price tag being asked...

lol +1 to Mr. Bedrock.

I knew 48 was pretty common but didnt realize 50 was that rare. I didnt know this one the 1st 9.6w 50 ever for auction.

That's pretty amazing! 28k now and last year maybe 40k for a FF 50. You would have never believed that in a million years back in my comic heydays in the early 90's.

Considering that $40K got you the White Mountain AF 15 back in those days, and even then people thought that was an insane price, then yes, if you told anyone in the early 1990s that people would be willing to pay $28K for a FF 50, they would've thought that either you were insane or we would have to be in the grip of Weimar-type inflation and rolling around wheelbarrows of cash.

512px-Zimbabwe_100000000000_Dollars_Bill_2008.jpg

Zimbabwe 100000000000 Dollars Bill 2008 [Public domain], by אני סרקתי (סריקה מהמחשב שלי), from Wikimedia Commons

So just imagine their reaction in 1993 if you told them that in 2010, we would be in the grip of deflation after coming out of the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression, and yet a FF 50 would STILL sell for $28K, and many people would be disappointed that it didn't sell for $40K!

10 year old Gene would have snapped a synapse when told this, beginning a long period of institutionalization.

48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

High-end collecting factors aside, Fantastic Four #48 is a bargain. There may be tons of them in VF and up, but that doesn't make it overpriced. FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

This is very true. I sold an FF #48 CGC 9.8 here on the boards a few months ago. It was snapped up nearly immediately at $11K and sold for a profit (with my blessing) the same night.

I also had a PM and email list 4 (additional) buyers deep who would have taken the book in the blink of an eye, so I knew that I could have gotten more for the book and a few were not putting together FF runs, they just wanted that key.

Regardless of whether it is more common or not, it is a hot book!

48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

High-end collecting factors aside, Fantastic Four #48 is a bargain. There may be tons of them in VF and up, but that doesn't make it overpriced. FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

There's an arguement to be made that it's the perfect storm of comic collectibles. A while back, CBG readers took a poll; The greatest comic series ever was...Fantastic Four. Best writer, Stan Lee. Best artist, Jack Kirby. Best story, The Galactus Trilogy. This was not isolated to the silver age, this was all time. I think FF 48 is a very desirable comic, and will stay one for a while.

Oh, and FF 48 and 49 have better covers than 50! So there.

and see, I see it as just the opposite (at least on the high end)... supply, in the comics market, is a large factor in establishing demand and price, I think we can all agree on that basic concept...if the book is readily available (relative to demand), many collectors will turn their attention and focus on "higher" priority issues (maybe 49 and 50 in this case)... I myself have a nice 49 and 50, but have no 48 (I only collect surfer covers), and truthfully, have no desire to spend "money" on a 48 now, when I know that literally at anytime, I can pick one up in just about any grade I desire...

sure, as far as the average collector goes, demand will always keep ff 48 desirable...but even so, there seems to be more than enough supply to satisfy, and hence, I believe it is overvalued (in all grades)... just my 2c

I apologize for winning the FF 48 9.0 for $871 in lieu of winning the 50 9.0 for $931...although I didn't like the little CB chatter at the bottom spine area...I realize it's a common but have wanted to fill that hole for some time...love the Watcher's Charlie Brown head on that one... :tonofbricks:

FF #48 is an icon of a book. For me it's 100X what #50 is.... When I first start collecting in the late 70's that issue was the be all end all as far as me and my comic buddies were concerned.

A must have for any silver age collector. Intro Surfer. Intro Galactus. Awesome storyline. What more can one ask for?

But I do understand the higher amount.. Damn brown covers... like the JIM #84.. they are a beach to get in HG....

Old School dealers told me a couple times that they remembered seeing long boxes filled with issue #48 in NM condition.

FF 48 is the Spawn #1 of the SA. :insane:

FF #48 is an icon of a book. For me it's 100X what #50 is.... When I first start collecting in the late 70's that issue was the be all end all as far as me and my comic buddies were concerned.

A must have for any silver age collector. Intro Surfer. Intro Galactus. Awesome storyline. What more can one ask for?

But I do understand the higher amount.. Damn brown covers... like the JIM #84.. they are a beach to get in HG....

Well the #48 in terms of story and importance is of course better than than FF #50, but the cover of FF #50 just kills #48 plus it almost impossible to find in HG.

Well the #48 in terms of story and importance is of course better than than FF #50, but the cover of FF #50 just kills #48 plus it almost impossible to find in HG.

:preach:

indeed