• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a first print graphic novel worth????

38 posts in this topic

is worth more than the reprint???

Yes, in almost all cases. (thumbs u

Nooo .... in the vast majority of cases, people don't care whether a TPB/HC is a 1st print or not.

Which makes perfect sense - people buy graphic novels to read, not to collect.

Nooo .... in the vast majority of cases, people don't care whether a TPB/HC is a 1st print or not.

I'd make a discernation between a graphic novel and a TPB though Michael. Take a prestige format like The Killing Joke, doesn't a first print of that book command a premium over subsequent reprints?

I'd make a discernation between a graphic novel and a TPB though Michael. Take a prestige format like The Killing Joke, doesn't a first print of that book command a premium over subsequent reprints?

I'd like to make a discernment between the word discernation and the word sadfjnwioepgh, but I can't because neither word exists.

In raw form, no, not really - on ebay, that book sells for pretty much the same no matter which printing it is. You might get a premium if you're selling a 9.8 1st print (which people would buy to slab), but that's pretty much it.

I took the OP's question to be referring to original content graphic novels, like Killing Joke or Death of Captain Marvel as suggested above. I'd agree that 1st prints of reprinted trades don't carry a premium.

MGN C

Death of Cpt Marvel and Killing Joke much more 'valuable' - just like a first print of say New Mutants 87.

That's a myth - do a search on eBay's completed listings for Killing Joke, and you'll see there's at most a $2-3 difference between 1st prints & later prints.

In regards to the Death of Captain Marvel, it's the same story - just because a seller is asking a premium for a 1st print doesn't mean the 1st print is actually worth more.

I'd like to make a discernment between the word discernation and the word sadfjnwioepgh, but I can't because neither word exists.

I'm ill. Suck it finghé.

MGN C

Death of Cpt Marvel and Killing Joke much more 'valuable' - just like a first print of say New Mutants 87.

That's a myth - do a search on eBay's completed listings for Killing Joke, and you'll see there's at most a $2-3 difference between 1st prints & later prints.

In regards to the Death of Captain Marvel, it's the same story - just because a seller is asking a premium for a 1st print doesn't mean the 1st print is actually worth more.

Well that's Ebay. It's a fricken waste land.

Nice 1st NM/M copies of Killing Joke sell for a premium over all later printings. You can get the 14th printing at comic shops now. People don't care about later printings but for a perfect 1st print you can get $15-25 for it...especially from savvy boardies looking to slab or SS slab.

MGN C

Well that's Ebay. It's a fricken waste land.

Nice 1st NM/M copies of Killing Joke sell for a premium over all later printings. You can get the 14th printing at comic shops now. People don't care about later printings but for a perfect 1st print you can get $15-25 for it...especially from savvy boardies looking to slab or SS slab.

That was the exception I mentioned in my prior post :baiting:

In raw form, no, not really - on ebay, that book sells for pretty much the same no matter which printing it is. You might get a premium if you're selling a 9.8 1st print (which people would buy to slab), but that's pretty much it.

Don't think I can agree with this. I would pay more than cover price all day long for 1st print Killing Jokes. I will pay half cover or less for any other printing.

It all depends upon the book. You can't make broad generalizations about books anymore than you can make a generalization about broads.

I am always on the lookout for 1st printings of the Death of Captain Marvel, HC Dark Knight returns, Killing Joke, and certain other books.

I also think there will be a market for high grade 1st printings on trade paperbacks one day. Hard to get that collecting bug out of some people you know?

This is a different question but...

Do certain Omnibus or Marvel Masterworks go up in value after they are out of print?

Such as I heard that Diamond only made a certain number of Iron Man 1 Omnibus (issues TOS 39-82). If it is out of print would the price go up and is there evidence that other Omnibus' have gone up in value?

I heard that Marvel is discontinuing the Masterwork books. Would those increase in value?

This is a different question but...

Do certain Omnibus or Marvel Masterworks go up in value after they are out of print?

Such as I heard that Diamond only made a certain number of Iron Man 1 Omnibus (issues TOS 39-82). If it is out of print would the price go up and is there evidence that other Omnibus' have gone up in value?

I heard that Marvel is discontinuing the Masterwork books. Would those increase in value?

If demand outweighs supply once they are out of print, then invariably yes.

Is this just for books with one issue, like Killing Joke or can GA: Longbow Hunters and Dark Knight count. If so, those plus books like the Nick Fury series (#2 was hot) show that the graphic novels can go up in value, but like many books, years later are often worth less.