• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I won this book and am happy about that, BUT...

36 posts in this topic

Probably a coincidence but you could have been shilled if the following happened:

Shill bids some ridiculous amount like $500 so that he can easily determine what your max bid is. Seller cancels shill's bid, or shill retracts bid due to "wrong amount entered" or some other excuse. Seller then shills to an amount just under your max bid.

--> Can you view the history to see if any bids were cancelled or retracted?

Too bad you weren't outbid by $1. Then you could have had something to really complain about.

Not complaining...only questioning

Probably a coincidence but you could have been shilled if the following happened:

Shill bids some ridiculous amount like $500 so that he can easily determine what your max bid is. Seller cancels shill's bid, or shill retracts bid due to "wrong amount entered" or some other excuse. Seller then shills to an amount just under your max bid.

Oh, very sneaky. Thanks for the tip.

I will say this for my bidding. A lot of times when I snipe it is way higher then the item currently is at. So if it was someone like me you could have easily wound up paying 2-3 times what the item was 30 seconds before bidding ended. Also, from the items I have bid on, it seems like a good amount of other people do the same thing.

Now I find it odd that when I put my max bid in, the "Current bid:" showed as $25, so why would somebody come along and throw in one bid for $3 under my max bid? If this was somebody who saw the "Current bid" price at $25, wouldn't they put in a bid of something more like $30 and see what happens from there? If you put a bid in that isn't enough eBay tells you that you aren't the highest bidder as everyone knows, so why would anyone happen to throw out a bid just $3 under my max? Thats a pretty big coincidence!

That kind of bidding is for Noobs. I'd be more suspicious if the opposite occured and the one person bid like 10 times.

Haven't used eBay for many a year, but do you still get those 'You Have Been Outbid' e-mails?

If so, this scenario couldn't have happened without you being aware as an e-mail would have been sent at the time of the $500 bid, despite the fact that it was subsequently withdrawn.

Too bad you weren't outbid by $1. Then you could have had something to really complain about.

Not complaining...only questioning

Its funny you brought this up the same thing happened to me last week on Ebay also. Book was pretty low and i put my max in and at the end of the auction it was about a couple dollars under mine but i still won. I thought it was the seller saw my max bid and had someone bid up to it but not over so i paid my full amount lol ( i know im probably crazy)

Sounds like you put in a bid that you considered to be a fair price to pay for the item.

What's so shocking about somebody else putting a similar value on it? ???

Well the actual bid that was placed was more like $88.88 to my $90 bid...just seemed odd, more than just a shot in the dark bid..

You can never be burned by a shill bid if you simply bid what you want to pay.

If the bidding goes past your top price - accept that the book just isn't going to be yours.

I think a lot of complaints about shill bids are just annoyance over having to pay close to what the book is worth.

We all celebrate 'great buys', but think about it from the side of the seller. Your great buy is his loss....

I bid 100 on an auction that is at 15.

Shiller bids me up just before end to my max. No other bids are placed.

Without shill I would pay $15

With shill I pay $100

I would say I was burned, although I was willing to pay the $100, I would rather not

Haven't used eBay for many a year, but do you still get those 'You Have Been Outbid' e-mails?

Yep, still do.

you can turn that annoying feature off - I did long ago

With shill I pay $100

I would say I was burned, although I was willing to pay the $100, I would rather not

Was the book worth 100 to you? If so, then accept you've paid what you were willing to pay.

As for the 'rather not' part... we'd all rather get everything for free, wouldn't we?

With shill I pay $100

Like others have said, unless a nuclear bid is retracted, or there are bunch of bids at the increment by one bidder it doesn't sound shilled to me. You were sniped, big difference. Without the snipe you would have paid $15, but a snipe is a real bidder so it doesn't surprise me that he would value the book near what you valued it as, even if the standing high bid is $15. I would never snipe an auction that was standing at $15 with a 20 or 30 dollar bid if I thought the book was worth close to a hundred. There won't be enough time to make a second bid when my $25 bid is automatically outbid immediately.

That sounds like a book I bid on, I would usually bid something like 88.88 because its faster to type in when I am sniping from my smartphone.