• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Changes

250 posts in this topic

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1. Unfortunately, so did the two guys who are on my tail. lol

My last score change is from yesterday...a -6. Not sure where it came from, but I'm going to call it a wash. :)

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

I think a little more clarity in what is going on here would be appreciated.

Scores jumping all over the place.

What was the old system, what was the new?

Kind of annoying getting bumped from 10 to 11, however I do have bigger things to worry about in life!

• Administrator

The older system had more of a bell-curve system to the scoring algorithm that didn't always give the proper multipliers for the higher grades (with the theory being that those books were nearly impossible anyway), but the "new" scoring algorithm (the one that has been used for the past 9 years) is more balanced across all of the grades. Unfortunately many of the "original" sets are key books as that what was considered important in the beginning and so those scores are changing radically. I'm about 2/3 done at this point and will definitely take suggestions on changes when I am done.

This will just help me with future scoring requests and with keeping all the scoring consistent on the site from now onward. :)

This will just help me with future scoring requests and with keeping all the scoring consistent on the site from now onward. :)

Thank you for the explanation, Gemma.

+1

so the high end key books are getting higher scores

cant wait for the bronze drek bump :insane:

I think a little more clarity in what is going on here would be appreciated.

Scores jumping all over the place.

What was the old system, what was the new?

Kind of annoying getting bumped from 10 to 11, however I do have bigger things to worry about in life!

You just didn't get 'bumped', you got trampled from 10 to 11 with #10 about 77,000 points ahead ??? I'm assuming this happened because most of your collection is BA and the bumps are more SA related .

Has anybody done an analysis of which sets are being affected ? It's obvious Spidey, JIM, and TOS but after that I can't find much. Somebody said Batman got a bump but I don't see any other DC's changing.

It seems that the uber sets are gaining the most, Schmell is really benefiting. While I applaud the fact that CGC is addressing the registry it does appear that

the rich are getting richer. If registry points are suppossed to be reflective of rarity how about looking at something other than the uber grades. The low census mid grade books should be given a nod. Things like prehero and titles like Wonder Woman are grossly undervalued in the registry.

• Administrator

That is exactly why I am taking care of this now and not closer to the Registry Awards. This way we will have time to address any other scoring requests but if someone says Issue X should be scored more like Issue Y, I don't have to explain that one was scored 10 years prior and used a different theory than is currently applied, rather I can just adjust the scores as necessary. ;)

I knew that the "rich getting richer" may be a temporary side effect of these changes which is why I started this thread.

There is always the discussion of balance

A complete set of highish grade can get blown out of the water by a single high grade early issue.

The argument usually centers, of course, on the nature of your set.

So the guy saying their complete set of 4.0 - 9.0 is better than the set with a few 9.4 which is ranked above them. It does not always ring true.

I have, as do many, hundreds of comics forming "complete sets" I just was not a psycho as a kid (only as a grown up) thinking to store them away untouched forever or never read them. But I dont think they are that exicting or worthy compared with the pristine issues in the sets on display.

As some people say there should be some acknowledgement of "completeness "

no right answer (except of course to complete everything in high grade!!!)

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

There's a pretty big price difference between those books, though ... 12 month GPA on a TMNT #1 in 9.2 is $2,317 whereas on an Albedo #2 in the same grade it's $752 - so it makes sense that the TMNT #1 scores significantly higher than the Albedo #2.

Wow, when I checked my rankings today I had a surprise! Still, I'm trying to figure out the scoring. 800 points for my 9.0 issue of Spiderman 122 really seems high. I've heard the scores don't necessarily align with prices, but that seems high. On the other side, my 9.0 issue of spiderman 300 scores a 40... seems low to me.

Again, this isn't a complaint (I end up with way more points, if that matters). Thanks for this thread, I'll be reading....

The Fantastic Four was updated. That gave Schmell a huge boost and trashed my dream of one day catching him. I can only hope Marvel Team-up and Defenders get a huge boost!