• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Changes

250 posts in this topic

I agree what Gav said.

I started my Registry Sets b/c I wanted to present my collection for everyone to see.

While its nice to get points for each book,I just want to nicely present my books :)

I started the SS sets b/c I love the writers and artists works on my favorite comic books series :grin:

To Jerel,Your Registry Set is awesome no matter what rank you're in :applause:

Just noticed the scoring changes. Of course it doesn't really matter, but I noticed that ASMs, Avengers, FFs jumped up a bit, but titles like Daredevil and X-Men stayed the same. Maybe Gemma is still making adjustments, but I'm curious why some Marvel titles got bumped but others stayed the same.

It's also interesting that some books like ASM #6 got a boost and others like ASM #7 didn't. But again, I know it doesn't matter and it's not a complaint. I'm just curious about it.

I know the changes are not finished. The ASM 6 was undervalued before, that change made sense. The ASM 28 was also undervalued and the changes helped. I noticed a lot which changed for the better(based on census rarity) and not many that need more. As example ASM 23 is still a little low based on the census.

Gemma has a lot left to do I'm sure, before getting down to individual changes. Keep at it, it seems to be going well. Regards,

Just noticed the scoring changes. Of course it doesn't really matter, but I noticed that ASMs, Avengers, FFs jumped up a bit, but titles like Daredevil and X-Men stayed the same. Maybe Gemma is still making adjustments, but I'm curious why some Marvel titles got bumped but others stayed the same.

It's also interesting that some books like ASM #6 got a boost and others like ASM #7 didn't. But again, I know it doesn't matter and it's not a complaint. I'm just curious about it.

I PMd Gemma awhile back about looking at the DDs. It was when I first heard three 9.6 #1s were going up for sale and than again after their realized prices. (that Curator is just awesome!!) Yes, I'm a huge DD fan, but like X-men books and a couple other titles I don't collect wholeheartedly, I felt some were possibly low by just being an observer comparing them to other titles.

I was happy to see #7 received a much needed once over awhile back. (might be even too high now though IMHO)

As I told her I'm not an expert in comic values or algorithms, I left it up to her, other Boardies who she might ask or the powers that be to decide - if any truly warranted a revision. So maybe they and the X-books are still on her hit list.

I'll look into it when I'm done...

Speaking of which, I only have to work on Iron Man and I will be completed with this section of the updates/changes, so please feel free to start suggesting some adjustments to the sets that were affected.

Does market value play a factor in registry points? The reason why I ask is that Action #4 and #6 CGC 5.0 unrestored have a market value of 6K each. Both of these books recieve 1800 registry points. There are several more examples I could post reguarding the Actions under #30 and the war covers.

As shown below, TMNT #1 CGC 9.2 has a market value of $2300 and recieves 2000 registry points.

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

There's a pretty big price difference between those books, though ... 12 month GPA on a TMNT #1 in 9.2 is $2,317 whereas on an Albedo #2 in the same grade it's $752 - so it makes sense that the TMNT #1 scores significantly higher than the Albedo #2.

I've always felt that a book in a registry set could only be accurately compared against books within its own registry set. TMNT points should have no bearing on Action Comics, which in turn should have no bearing on Albedo.

A TMNT #1 is much more desirable and valuable than, say, a TMNT #8 and the points reflect that. Comparing the points of TMNT to a non-TMNT book is apples and oranges.

A TMNT #1 is much more desirable and valuable than, say, a TMNT #8 and the points reflect that. Comparing the points of TMNT to a non-TMNT book is apples and oranges.

Although I respect your point, Mr. Palmer ( :baiting: ), I have to disagree.

My intent was not to take away from TMNT #1, which is one of the key treasures that came out of the Copper Age. It was to show we need a standardized registry points system that is consistent across the board.

With the current approach (not a knock on CGC or Gemma), what is the perception for collectors of Modern hot titles if Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 only goes for 120 points yet sells for $600 (+)? Or a Goon 1 Avatar CGC 9.8 that is valued at 160 points, yet can sell for $450-$600. And the demand is very high for these books, so shouldn't the registry reflect the same amount of points to show how much these books are prized?

It can give the perception Moderns are seen as common, Copper is treated a little better, and Bronze or older are valued much higher. Yet some of these Moderns hit the three key measures of being worth a large sum, are tough to track down, and are in high demand.

Although I respect your point, Mr....umm...685 ( (shrug) ), I have to disagree.

I wouldn't mind if TMNT #1 were changed to 30 points as long as the rest of the TMNT books were reevaluated accordingly...sitting at a point or so each. THIS would give the collector an idea of how desirable each issue is relative to the other books in the set.

You mention that a point score should be an indicator of how prized a book is, but looking at similar point values for 2 different books doesn't tell me that each is as desirable as the other. For example, if someone offered me a TMNT book and a Superman book that were worth the same number of points in the registry, I'd take the TMNT book every time. Who knows? Maybe the TMNT book is common and the Superman book is a hard-to-find variant. It wouldn't matter since I'm a TMNT collector.

However, if someone offered me 2 TMNT books, I could potentially look at a TMNT registry set and determine which of the two is more desirable among TMNT collectors. The scores assigned to the books need only be accurate within its own set to properly convey the desirability of a book. Make early Hellboy appearances worth eleventy billion points each...just scale up the later appearances appropriately. Why the points of a Hellboy set would affect a Batman, Superman, or Avengers collector is beyond me. My 2c

Why the points of a Hellboy set would affect a Batman, Superman, or Avengers collector is beyond me. My 2c

If you are going to have a standardized recognition system that also has awards tied to it, then having this as the approach ...

Make early Hellboy appearances worth eleventy billion points each...just scale up the later appearances appropriately.

... makes it sounds like there really is no standardized system. People are just throwing points all over the place just to stroke their ego, or to show how a given age is appreciated more than another. I never recommended that approach in anything I posted, nor made it "my sets only" as a focus (but thanks for recognizing the true value of Hellboy :baiting: ). You appear to be looking at this from a TMNT registry set standard. I'm looking at it across all sets, and asking what the logic is behind some of these points assigned.

Especially when some of the awards from this annual registry contest does compare all sets together leading to free CGC submissions. How are you comparing all sets if there isn't some common standard they are being balanced against?

(shrug)

I'll look into it when I'm done...

Speaking of which, I only have to work on Iron Man and I will be completed with this section of the updates/changes, so please feel free to start suggesting some adjustments to the sets that were affected.

Does market value play a factor in registry points? The reason why I ask is that Action #4 and #6 CGC 5.0 unrestored have a market value of 6K each. Both of these books recieve 1800 registry points. There are several more examples I could post reguarding the Actions under #30 and the war covers.

As shown below, TMNT #1 CGC 9.2 has a market value of $2300 and recieves 2000 registry points.

I gained 2700 points on my TMNT #1.

It seems just a tad off, as a TMNT 1 CGC 9.2 is worth 2,000 points, and an Albedo 2 CGC 9.2 is worth 450 points with the revisions.

I realize there is a large fan base that goes nuts over TMNT, but there is always high demand for Albedo 2's when they pop up for sale. I just can't see a 4X (+) difference in registry points value on these books.

There's a pretty big price difference between those books, though ... 12 month GPA on a TMNT #1 in 9.2 is $2,317 whereas on an Albedo #2 in the same grade it's $752 - so it makes sense that the TMNT #1 scores significantly higher than the Albedo #2.

I've always felt that a book in a registry set could only be accurately compared against books within its own registry set. TMNT points should have no bearing on Action Comics, which in turn should have no bearing on Albedo.

Bottom line is a 2K book should not recieve more points than a 6K book.

I disagree completely. If that is an absolute, then the Registry is nothing more than an "I can outspend you" contest. Certainly in many cases, a 6k book should get more points; I would think that it would in situations where its rarity and desirability are reflected in its price. But not in every case, and certainly not as an absolute. If Conan 1 in 9.8 were 2400 points and had a price point of 6k, why would it necessarily be a bad thing if an All-American 16 in 0.5 was 3500 points and it had a price point of 2k? Rarity, desirability shouldn't be trumped out of hand by cost.

I disagree completely. If that is an absolute, then the Registry is nothing more than an "I can outspend you" contest. Certainly in many cases, a 6k book should get more points; I would think that it would in situations where its rarity and desirability are reflected in its price. But not in every case, and certainly not as an absolute. If Conan 1 in 9.8 were 2400 points and had a price point of 6k, why would it necessarily be a bad thing if an All-American 16 in 0.5 was 3500 points and it had a price point of 2k? Rarity, desirability shouldn't be trumped out of hand by cost.

Ok.

Action #4 CGC 5.0 1800 points

22 graded

11 restored

4 unrestored copies 5.0 or higher

Ranks 52 in the top 100 GA books.

Action #6 CGC 5.0 1800 points

22 graded

8 restored

6 unrestored copies 5.0 or higher

9 of the first 13 Action comics make the top 100 GA books list.

Ok.

22 graded

11 restored

22 graded

8 restored

I don't get your point. If you think Actions are scored low, then that should probably be addressed. I don't see what that has to do with a question about the propriety of a "more money = more points" analysis. Not to mention the nightmare of dealing with price fluctuations.

Ok.

22 graded

11 restored

22 graded

8 restored

I don't get your point. If you think Actions are scored low, then that should probably be addressed. I don't see what that has to do with a question about the propriety of a "more money = more points" analysis. Not to mention the nightmare of dealing with price fluctuations.

I agree with you, and Gemma's algorithm seems to work very well as it's being used.

But I don't agree 100%, more like 95%. I hate all absolutes in general(is that an absolute), so to completely ignore pricing is wrong. I agree it should not be perfectly linear, for the mentioned reasons. But price should be a factor, a big factor.

I think the best compromise(that's the answer, not an absolute), is to apply the algorithm, and then go back and tweak things, weigh points more than they are, for census figures, and big price peaks. Not an all encompassing alter every book again deal, but a select here and there change to some books.

I believe Gemma is well on the way to having it all close, and willing to tweak some things. That's all anyone should ask, to make an attempt. Regards,

Ok.

22 graded

11 restored

22 graded

8 restored

Well, I have given examples of rarity, desirability and price. If none of these are factors, I am not sure what is.

Well, I have given examples of rarity, desirability and price. If none of these are factors, I am not sure what is.

You hit them all Mike with these examples.

In order I would go with: Rarity, Price and than Desirability.

(DD #7 is a good example)

Isn't price just a reflection of desirability ? It would seem price and desirability are synonymous.

Isn't price just a reflection of desirability ? It would seem price and desirability are synonymous.

Not really. You could have thousands of people wanting a certain book but only 40 being able to afford it.