• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Changes

250 posts in this topic

My pathetic sets have taken a tanking, especially Death in the Family.

I don't care, I love my books, not my points :cloud9:

That's what really matters here is loving the books you collect.

But the friendly registry competition just adds a little excitement to the game.

But the friendly registry competition just adds a little excitement to the game.

Exactly! Where's my points?

Good plan. To my fellow boardies, I suggest we not focus on individual books in this thread = keep it at the set level until Gemma finishes the DC sets.

I think bringing up individual books is where you can show the disparity with the current approach, and hopefully suggest a different approach.

Plus, from what has been brought up so far, that is where the challenge is in that certain books have been deemed heavy point hitters over other books.

But I do feel what Gemma is working towards is to balance out the points assigned to the best of the process ability. It's just tough when you have so many books across so many ages, and trying to be fair to everyone.

Best bet - have a standard logic rather than hoping a bunch of collectors will agree across the board how to assign points to books they value over someone else's collecting focus.

+1

Well said Nick. I moved up due to my TOS books, TMNT and Wolvie books. Imho, TOS & TMNT #1 did need an update. But imho, Wolvie Limited went a little too high. Gemma you have a very tedious and stressful job. I would buckle under the pressure!!

As always Gemma, I'm grateful for what you do for us and our hobby. :foryou:

To be honest Nick I don't get excited about the points anymore, I just like to keep my registry updated and presenting nicely. I've found way too many scores that I think have discrepancies to start listing them and giving Gemma a headache.

It was very nice to receive my first ever certificates earlier this year, and I will enjoy it if I ever get awarded more. But I don't see them as winning certificates, just a recognition for what we put into our collections.

To be honest Nick I don't get excited about the points anymore, I just like to keep my registry updated and presenting nicely. I've found way too many scores that I think have discrepancies to start listing them and giving Gemma a headache.

It was very nice to receive my first ever certificates earlier this year, and I will enjoy it if I ever get awarded more. But I don't see them as winning certificates, just a recognition for what we put into our collections.

Well said, Gav.

Yeah, I was originally disappointed my Gem Mints didn't get higher scores too, I was thinking 120 points minimum, but Registry points wasn't what I had in mind when I collected the title I focus on. All I wanted to do was build the first Registry Set with the most CGC Mints in it. I don't think anyone has ever tried that before, but I am hoping others do. I am also glad it's a title I am very passionate about too, points be damned.

but Registry points wasn't what I had in mind when I collected the title I focus on.

I respect what you both are saying, and also collect what I love - not just to score big points. Everyone uses the registry for different motivations, to include a little competition in their collecting with some or all of their books.

With Gemma offering to work with everyone to address any points inconsistencies, now may be a good time to share your suggestions.

One of my suggestions would be that, as the issues gets older, the more a 9.9 or a 10.0 should be worth in relation to a 9.8. A 1980s 9.9 or 10.0 should be worth more than 10 points more than the next grade.

One thing I have noticed is in the Batman #700 slot. The 1:25 variant is worth the same points (25) as the regular issue. The 1:50 is worth twice as much as the 1:25, which to me makes sense as it's 'twice as rare'.

I know variants get vilified by a lot of people, but they've got to be scored consistently in any algorithm. To score an issue that has only 1 per every 25 regular issues at the same points value just deosn't make sense.

There are plenty more instances I've noticed, but I'd have to go back through my registry to note them all. And I'm not bemoaning these scores, just trying to add constructive input.

Gemma,

Please review the points for the books included in the sets listed below when you have an opportunity. Thank you.

Batman (Complete) [and, if required after reviewing Batman (Complete), Batman #101-#200; Batman #201-#300; and Batman #401-#500]

DC 52-Page Comics

DC 80 Page Giant

DC 100 Page Books

Detective Comics (Complete) [and, if required after reviewing Detective Comics (Complete), Detective Comics #1-#500; Detective Comics #301-#400; Detective Comics #401-#500; Detective Comics #501-#600; and Detective Comics #601-#850]

Ghosts

House of Mystery #1-#173

Our Army At War #81-#301

Phantom Stranger (1969)

Sandman (1974)

Secrets of Haunted House

Secrets of Sinister House

Shadow (1973)

Showcase #1-#104

Strange Adventures (1950)

Strange Adventures #205-#216

Superman Family

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen

Swamp Thing #1-#24 (1972)

Tomahawk

Unexpected #105-#222

Weird War Tales

Weird Western Tales

Witching Hour

World's Finest (1941)

With Gemma offering to work with everyone to address any points inconsistencies, now may be a good time to share your suggestions.
OK. I was just on enough thin ice today. (thumbs u

DSC028671.jpg

I just didn't want to start up anything with all the hard work Gemma does. I guess, I said my peace anyway in my original post.