• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoring Changes

250 posts in this topic

i got hammered. added about 700,000 points to doug's registry.

Knowing you have nearly all DC's in your registry did you see any upgrades on your DC sets ? I don't think I got any. It's obviously a Marvel World we live in.

This was one thing I noticed about this change also, it seemed to mostly affect Marvel sets. However I am willing to re-assess the DC sets as I am sure the ones that were created years ago are no longer accurate. It does take some time to update an entire set, but I am definitely willing to do so!

Suggested thus far:

Wonder Woman

Showcase

Action Comics

Amazing Fantasy 15 (spans several sets)

Please note that any scoring changes from this thread are going to delay the addition of new sets, but I felt that it was best to get the original sets up to par before adding the new titles. (thumbs u

Gemma, addressing some DC sets would be appreciated by many around here, thanks. I think holding off on new sets is fine.

How about the Brave and Bold, Justice League of America, and Adventure. These were surely set up early and need addressing.

And how could I forget.... Green Lantern and Flash, both the Silver Age Sets.

Wolverine LS #1 (1982) - 600 points for 9.8 - 1039 graded at 9.8

Wolverine LS #2 (1982) - 440 points for 9.8 - 334 graded at 9.8

This is one I'd have to question, as a Caliber Presents 1 CGC 9.8 is worth 600 points, and have sold in the $300 (+) range. Wolverine 1 Limited Series 1 CGC 9.8 have sold in the $100 (+) range.

I would suggest a book with only 13 x 9.8's in the census and in high demand would be worth much more than a book with 1,039 x 9.8's in the census.

And there is always demand for these early Crow appearances. The registry points should reflect this.

Wolverine LS #1 (1982) - 600 points for 9.8 - 1039 graded at 9.8

Wolverine LS #2 (1982) - 440 points for 9.8 - 334 graded at 9.8

This is one I'd have to question, as a Caliber Presents 1 CGC 9.8 is worth 600 points, and have sold in the $300 (+) range. Wolverine 1 Limited Series 1 CGC 9.8 have sold in the $100 (+) range.

I would suggest a book with only 13 x 9.8's in the census and in high demand would be worth much more than a book with 1,039 x 9.8's in the census.

And there is always demand for these early Crow appearances. The registry points should reflect this.

It already does - you get almost 2x the $ value in points for Caliber Presents #1 :thumbsup:

I agree that the Wolverine Limited series should be valued less, though - 600 points for a book with a last GPA sale of $114 is way too high.

I only ask you to consider Doc Joe's sanity and re-evaluate the non-key, high-grade, 30-year old BA books that now get points equivalent to moderns fresh off the shelf.

Non Key ???

Bronze Age :acclaim:

Cheetah :cloud9:

Modern points :mad:

My Sanity :ohnoez:

Happy to keep playing the CGC points game, hm

It already does - you get almost 2x the $ value in points for Caliber Presents #1 :thumbsup:

I agree that the Wolverine Limited series should be valued less, though - 600 points for a book with a last GPA sale of $114 is way too high.

So the points rule is 1 point for every $1 of market value?

Then books like Hulk 181 CGC 9.4 that sell for an average of $2,400-$2,500 would be 2,400 to 2,500 points versus the 4,950 points it is today.

Gemma, I definitely wouldn't want your job of trying to work through this overall challenge of assigning points. But the the system can come across as not consistent, which is probably the best thing to address.

What if GPA provided a periodic data feed containing the market average value which the CGC registry app could assign points using a logic that was consistent across all books?

This would eliminate the administrative challenge this creates every time books change in value, or get added to the census.

Then the only challenge to overcome is when a book has no sales data for a period of time.

So the points rule is 1 point for every $1 of market value?

Then books like Hulk 181 CGC 9.4 that sell for an average of $2,400-$2,500 would be 2,400 to 2,500 points versus the 4,950 points it is today.

Gemma, I definitely wouldn't want your job of trying to work through this overall challenge of assigning points. But the the system can come across as not consistent, which is probably the best thing to address.

I don't think there's any "points rule" like that - Gemma has stressed numerous times that the points value of a book in the registry isn't just based on monetary value, but also on demand & perceived rarity. Which, imho, is how it should be.

In regards to the Caliber Presents #1, all I'm saying is that it's already worth almost double the $ value in registry points - which I take as a sign that Gemma already factored in the demand & rarity of this book when she calculated the points value. Caliber Presents #1 isn't valued too low - it's the Wolverine LS #1 that's valued too high.

I don't think there's any "points rule" like that - Gemma has stressed numerous times that the points value of a book in the registry isn't just based on monetary value, but also on demand & perceived rarity. Which, imho, is how it should be.

I agree with all three criteria.

In regards to the Caliber Presents #1, all I'm saying is that it's already worth almost double the $ value in registry points - which I take as a sign that Gemma already factored in the demand & rarity of this book when she calculated the points value. Caliber Presents #1 isn't valued too low - it's the Wolverine LS #1 that's valued too high.

I think the entire Wolverine Limited Series set is ranked quite high when it comes to registry points. Prices on #2-4 have been much lower than they used to command.

Another example of a book that's valued way too high is the Sandman #19 (error edition) - a 9.8 copy of that gives you 200 points in the registry, even though market value is only around $30-40.

Good point!

• Administrator

This was intended as a first step in the process of making the scoring more consistent, so yes, I am happy to read all of these suggestions and take them into consideration. Once the DC sets mentioned have been reviewed I will make a new "These Scores Need Fixing" thread and we can start from there with the individual issue problems. Please feel free to keep discussing here until then, though... :)

i got hammered. added about 700,000 points to doug's registry.

Knowing you have nearly all DC's in your registry did you see any upgrades on your DC sets ? I don't think I got any. It's obviously a Marvel World we live in.

bob,

i don't pay attention that closely but i had just added 4 books and checked my total points and they were below where they were before. hm that makes it seem like i pay close attention

This was intended as a first step in the process of making the scoring more consistent, so yes, I am happy to read all of these suggestions and take them into consideration. Once the DC sets mentioned have been reviewed I will make a new "These Scores Need Fixing" thread and we can start from there with the individual issue problems. Please feel free to keep discussing here until then, though... :)

wow, that's some undertaking. didn't realize it was so complex. for me, it's accurate enough.

(thumbs u

Good plan. To my fellow boardies, I suggest we not focus on individual books in this thread = keep it at the set level until Gemma finishes the DC sets.

Good plan. To my fellow boardies, I suggest we not focus on individual books in this thread = keep it at the set level until Gemma finishes the DC sets.

I think bringing up individual books is where you can show the disparity with the current approach, and hopefully suggest a different approach.

Plus, from what has been brought up so far, that is where the challenge is in that certain books have been deemed heavy point hitters over other books.

But I do feel what Gemma is working towards is to balance out the points assigned to the best of the process ability. It's just tough when you have so many books across so many ages, and trying to be fair to everyone.

Best bet - have a standard logic rather than hoping a bunch of collectors will agree across the board how to assign points to books they value over someone else's collecting focus.

I still don't understand what all the commotion is about. As long as everyone gets the same points for the same books in the same sets, what does any of the rest of it matter? That, to me, is the only real competition, because it is apples to apples. If Cheetah gets 35,000 points for his Planet #1 in 8.5 and I get 25 for my Realm #4 in 9.8 what difference does it make?

Don't anyone get hot under the collar, either, because I don't have a real dog in this fight. I am way too scattered in focus to ever challenge anyone for a real set title.

I still don't understand what all the commotion is about. As long as everyone gets the same points for the same books in the same sets, what does any of the rest of it matter? That, to me, is the only real competition, because it is apples to apples. If Cheetah gets 35,000 points for his Planet #1 in 8.5 and I get 25 for my Realm #4 in 9.8 what difference does it make?

Don't anyone get hot under the collar, either, because I don't have a real dog in this fight. I am way too scattered in focus to ever challenge anyone for a real set title.

What happened to me, Doc Joe, and others is, though we have the same books as we did last week, we have been bumped down in the standings. Suddenly certain books, Silver Age Marvel, are now valued more heavily. I have a lot of DC, Doc Joe has a lot of Bronze, Paperheart has all DC, etc.

Gemma has recognized this and will apply the new 'formula' to some DC sets, which should help equalize things. I just suggested we let her finish applying the formula at the set level before we debate points at the book level. All is good.