• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INCREDIBLE HULK 181 - Dallas Stephens copy

21 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I picked up this copy of INCREDIBLE HULK 181 from Mile High on eBay, graded at a 6.0 FINE with a COA (actually should be a slightly higher grade IMO), see clickable thumbnails below.

I paid $171.53 for it plus $11 shipping to Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&rd=1&item=230548235147&si=qHwJOXHSFstNSFeSK0Bgs%252FNqg94%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT

My question is....I believe this was a great steal of a deal so why did it not sell immediately on eBay?

Is the demand down?

Does no one have any cash to spare?

Maybe this isn't a great deal?

th_H181A.jpgth_H181B.jpgth_H181MVS.jpgth_H181ZCOA.jpg

It would be a lot higher grade if not for that sweet stain midway down on the right side that seems to go all the way through the book.

Presents really well, though. Doubt CGC would give it a Fine, as they really hammer stains, but considering a Fine copy is $270 in the Guide, I'd say you did pretty well, all things considered

Yup, you scored. Looks nicer than a Fine range book to boot.

I bought a Dallas Stephens copy as well...So did Harvey Doss. How many copies did he have? (shrug)

I had one as well that graded a 9.4.....he must have had multiple copies.

I bought a Dallas Stephens copy as well...So did Harvey Doss. How many copies did he have? (shrug)

Do you think?

It would be a lot higher grade if not for that sweet stain midway down on the right side that seems to go all the way through the book.

Presents really well, though. Doubt CGC would give it a Fine, as they really hammer stains, but considering a Fine copy is $270 in the Guide, I'd say you did pretty well, all things considered

Surface dirt? Does CGC consider absorene restoration? I had to use that once for an etching. Scary, but it worked. I don't know if I would use it on a shiny surface. Could it be surface dirt?

The Dallas Stephens collection had multiples of several books including many hulk 181s.

This is true. I bought one from MH a few years ago that they graded Fine and it came back a CGC 8.0. It was still over priced when I bought it but appraised nicely in a couple of years. I still miss selling it last year.

Do you think?

Pale brained firebrand, you are.

The Dallas Stephens collection had multiples of several books including many hulk 181s.

This is true. I bought one from MH a few years ago that they graded Fine and it came back a CGC 8.0. It was still over priced when I bought it but appraised nicely in a couple of years. I still miss selling it last year.

People complain a plenty on Mile High over grading, they do at times have books under graded also. They often hammer a book down to good 2.0 with a water stain, CGC would grade it in the 4.0-5.0 range.

Dallas used to brag about how he had dozens of copies of Hulk 181. Given that he was an older gentleman who had been collecting for a long time and had very broad collecting tastes, it was always weird how obsessed he was with the book (and how proud he was of having so many copies).