• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1985-1989 Coin Market = 2000-2004 Comic Market?

567 posts in this topic

just fyi.

MOST stocks were (are) speculated on. nortel can't be put into the same basket as those other tech stocks. you have to understand nortel in order to understand why. most people living in canada the last 10 years do.

nortel was canada's biggest company (by value - had a market capitalization of some 400 billion dollars at one point). EVERYONE who was canadian somehow owned part of nortel - quote from the link below, "Because so many Canadians own Nortel shares (either directly, through pension plans, or in the hundreds of mutual funds that own a piece of it), it still remains the most actively-watched stock price in Canada. "

the link below is a commentary from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (the Canadian equivalent of the BBC) on nortel. if you were to read the piece, you wouldn't say "owning" nortel during its time could be considered speculation at all.

CBC News Article on Nortel

"It's been years since Canadian investors considered Nortel (TSX:NT) to be just another stock. It's attained an almost mythic place in the public consciousness. And it's not hard to see why."

First, for those of you cannot fathom that wealth is neither won or lost, here is the truth. When you buy a stock for $100 a share and it goes down to $50 a share, where did that other $50 go? You think you just lost it and it disappeared? Not true! In order for you to sell a stock-there has to be a BUYER at the other end!

i guess you've never heard of the term dow jones industrial average? you know, the average goes up and down....

i dunno - why am i even bothering to reply?

tonofbricks.gif

First, for those of you cannot fathom that wealth is neither won or lost, here is the truth. When you buy a stock for $100 a share and it goes down to $50 a share, where did that other $50 go? You think you just lost it and it disappeared? Not true! In order for you to sell a stock-there has to be a BUYER at the other end! Wether it be a brokerage house (i.e. Charles Schwab,etc.), a mutual fund (i.e Vanguard Index 500, or any other), or an individual! The money does not disappear into thin air! It is a SUM ZERO game-any one who is honest with you about your money and in finance-will tell you that. Remember that wonderful movie WALL STREET with Michael Douglas (and I hate to even bring fictictious Hollywood into our discussion)? Money is never lost. Someone wins and someone loses! I hate to dissapoint, but those who buy and sell even something like CGC graded comics, know this. If you pay $150 for a comic and sell it for $75, where did the other $75 go? Did you magically lose it? No, it wnet to the person you bought it from! It wasn't lost-it was transferred.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

If you buy a stock or comic for $100 and it goes down to $50, that value is LOST, period. The buyer at $50 was NOT the recipient of any "transferred" wealth. The buyer now owns a $50 stock/comic and the seller has LOST $50. That wealth has EVAPORATED. If XYZ Genibioengineertech stock is selling for $100/share and they report that the FDA has recommended against their key drug and the stock falls to $40 the next day, that $60/share of value is GONE. If someone buys a Daredevil #168 CGC 9.8 for $3,500 and sells it for $2,000, that $1,500 is HISTORY. That is a real monetary loss, period.

Do you get your investment advice from Oliver Stone? That speech by Gekko was part of Stone's anti-Wall Street rant and has nothing to do with reality. It's a nice soundbite for the wealth redistribution crowd to use to push for higher taxes but that's about it. The stock market is NOT a zero-sum game, period. That's something I learned in Finance 102 in college. The futures and options markets, on the other hand, are - for every gain in a future/option, someone is taking an offsetting loss as there is a short for every long. Not so in the stock market. Real wealth and real losses are generated in the stock market all the time. Please take a few finance classes to supplement your law program. By the way, are you in law or pre-law? If the former, why say you are going to college and not law school? If the latter, what kind of company would let you advise billion dollar corporations on their investments without a college degree? confused-smiley-013.gif

This is pointless so it will be my LAST post! Yes, you are right I am the most hated person on these forums, but I also make a LOT OF MONEY in finance and can prove my validity on the points I make.

Second you are WRONG! Let me get this straight: the money evaporated? I hate to break it to you, but the initial buyer got the extra money in the example I gave you! It was not evaporated! That is hillarious thinking....

Now since I pulled the thread away from its original post, I will let my fellow board members bash me for the next ten pages. Go forward, but I must warn you, a lot of your thinking is very misleading and just downright wrong!

Money evaporated! Tell that the original buyer and seller who made an additional $50. Oh, BTW, that money you gained is not real....

Please.....

Last post on me-Thank you....

makepoint.gif

OK, I'm not reading all this but the thread keeps getting bumped so I'm cashing in my two cents.

I take it some people are thinking comics are going to crash like coins did...? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd say no.

There is a big difference in coins and comics. Coins have no soul, they are just a lump of metal. If a "market" says my lump of metal is now worthless then it is worthless.

No one can ever convince me my comics will ever be worthless. My boxes of 1960s FF, ASM, Hulk, Thor, and so forth will always be worth something to me at least.

Now maybe 9.6/9.8 uber high grade slabs might fall if people fear many of them have been cleaned, pressed, and trimmed. blush.gif

There is a big difference in coins and comics. Comics have no soul, they are just a stack of newsprint. If a "market" says my stack of newsprint is now worthless then it is worthless.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. grin.gif

There is a big difference in coins and comics. Comics have no soul, they are just a stack of newsprint. If a "market" says my stack of newsprint is now worthless then it is worthless.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. grin.gif

I buy my comics for reading and not investing.

What the heck can I do with a funny looking half penny piece if no one wants to buy it?

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused.gif

I guess I could rent greggy's wonder woman doll for a night with it... blush.gif

27_laughing.gif

Oh, and comic do have a soul.

Or to be more precise the stories and art in the comics have a soul.

In YOUR opinion, but I know a ton of collectors who view comics as nothing more than paper, while expounding on their own interests as far more meaningful and important.

Step outside the box.

For those who don't know, I was in a substantial car accident on my way home from work many months ago (when I initially said goodbye to these forums) and am now in my recovery state. I am still working full time, going to college (for law), and am expected to make a full recovery. I am also selling off my entire CGC graded comic collection (so I no longer have a vested interest with the hobby). I am just posting here while Ihave some time to kill and to attempt to set some of these facts straight, especially in this thread. Please stop posting graphs! I can post a graph that was released to the media, that shows that the Nasdaq only lost 20% of its value! It is a real graph produced by a brokerage/fund company. Ask anyone in finance, graphs don't mean that much-sorry!

foreheadslap.gif I just realized who you are! You were the guy who was a lawyer, and then a law student, and then just a college student studying law. Clearly time has not improved your posts, so I will stop wasting my time trying to hold a real conversation with you.

yeah... that dawned on me too. I remember that weirdo! Cant believe I actually tried to talk sense with him here.... sigh.

And Learned Hand wonders why he got the third degree when he too showed up talking about the law.

This is pointless so it will be my LAST post! Yes, you are right I am the most hated person on these forums, but I also make a LOT OF MONEY in finance and can prove my validity on the points I make.

Second you are WRONG! Let me get this straight: the money evaporated? I hate to break it to you, but the initial buyer got the extra money in the example I gave you! It was not evaporated! That is hillarious thinking....

Now since I pulled the thread away from its original post, I will let my fellow board members bash me for the next ten pages. Go forward, but I must warn you, a lot of your thinking is very misleading and just downright wrong!

Money evaporated! Tell that the original buyer and seller who made an additional $50. Oh, BTW, that money you gained is not real....

Please.....

Last post on me-Thank you....

makepoint.gif

You clearly don't know the first thing about finance if you believe any of this inanity you are spewing, which is so idiotic that it calls into question the credibility of everything else you have said. Good riddance to you.

Oh, and comic do have a soul.

Or to be more precise the stories and art in the comics have a soul.

In YOUR opinion, but I know a ton of collectors who view comics as nothing more than paper, while expounding on their own interests as far more meaningful and important.

Step outside the box.

And I know a ton of people who think coins are worthless bits of metal. What's your point? That coins do have a soul?

"Second you are WRONG! Let me get this straight: the money evaporated? I hate to break it to you, but the initial buyer got the extra money in the example I gave you! It was not evaporated! That is hillarious thinking...."

yes, in most instances, the money evaporated because most of the time people aren't buing at the peak:

more typical is this scenario:

Joe Blow buys at $100, stock peaks at $150 and ultimately crashes down to $5.

Yeah, a bunch of wealth just evaporated into thin air.

As would be the case when/if the RE market pops.

Most people haven't bought at the peak. I bought 7 years ago for $250K and my apartment is worth $750K (I'm just tossing out numbers). If in 2 years I have to sell for $500K that money has evaporated into thin air. Who gained from that drop?

Oh yeah, if you really did make a fortune in finance, why the would you be going to law school? everyone should know that 99 times out of 100 that's a big step down.

I would say a 100 out of 100. 27_laughing.gif

And I know a ton of people who think coins are worthless bits of metal. What's your point?

That beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Coins are no different than comics or sportcards, only the person collecting them is.

And I know a ton of people who think coins are worthless bits of metal. What's your point?

That beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Coins are no different than comics or sportcards, only the person collecting them is.

Comics (good ones anyhow) = Art

Art has soul no? confused-smiley-013.gif