• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does this happen

157 posts in this topic

I love these threads and find them impossible to stay out of.

I'm going to start one tomorrow.

Just need to find a CGC comic that sold for a little less than the yearly average and I'm going to do it. hm Better get to work. Check my posts tomorrow for some mind blowing stuff.

To the O.P., don't mind me, I'm a noob too :banana:

Just need to find a CGC comic that sold for a little less than the yearly average and I'm going to do it. hm Better get to work. Check my posts tomorrow for some mind blowing stuff.

Me and you/seanfingh, let's agree to disagree.

I'm a big fan of good manners and common courtesy, as a default; you're a pair of tits.

Happy Christmas!

I'm a big fan of good manners and common courtesy, as a default; you're a pair of tits.

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

Maybe the OP should have phrased the question a little tighter.

I'm going to guess the idea he was trying to get at is this: IF CGC graded comics should be considered commodities for the purposes of buying/selling. And IF they are commodities, what percentage price fluctuation can be considered within an "acceptable" range and if such comics should trade like the stock market.

Should CGC pricing reflect an efficient market? Probably not, I think several have answered showing that comics pricing isn't efficient (auction close times, seller feedback), that the "commodities" themselves are not equivalent (all CGC 9.8s are not created equal) and so on.

this is pretty much what i was after. I have my masters in finance with an undergrad minor in economics. For the most part I buy GA which can't be considered commodities since each one is unique.

KJ 9.8 and NM 9.8 for the most part are interchangeable units. Why would someone be willing to pay even 1 dollar more than the last sale when they know another unit will be sold tomorrow.

I like thinking of the dynamics that work in the marketplace as to why and how the price varies.

I would still like to know how you guys can tell the difference between 9.8s other than trimming issues. Especially with the crappy scans and pics people use. :taptaptap:

And it was a quiet day at work and i was bored.... (thumbs u

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

Thank you. (Defaulted to good manners, despite my better instinct.)

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

Hey, give Tony more respect. :sumo:

He's a top guy...just a little behind the curve on noob-baiting. :/

Tony, all the best to you and yours for Christmas. (thumbs u

I just recently purchased a copy of Batman the killing joke 9.8 for $52 ebay.

I see another one up with 4 hours left to go already at 60.

Same thing seems to happen with New Mutants 98 9.8.

Shouldn't the price stay fairly constant?

Is it just the people not looking, the timing on when the auction ends. Or is there really much of a difference between 9.8's?

From the scans I can't really see any difference.

Just curious as I look at these type of comics as a commodity that is easily traded especially with volume. (i.e. there will be another one sold tomorrow, next week etc.)

Do you also count your cutlery? (shrug)

Happy Christmas!

:banana:

For the most part I buy GA which can't be considered commodities since each one is unique.

KJ 9.8 and NM 9.8 for the most part are interchangeable units.

I would still like to know how you guys can tell the difference between 9.8s other than trimming issues.

That's what I would have thought, but I think cover centering (registration?) can be the most notable difference between 9.8s. And what do you mean by trimming issues?

I just recently purchased a copy of Batman the killing joke 9.8 for $52 ebay.

I see another one up with 4 hours left to go already at 60.

Same thing seems to happen with New Mutants 98 9.8.

Shouldn't the price stay fairly constant?

Is it just the people not looking, the timing on when the auction ends. Or is there really much of a difference between 9.8's?

From the scans I can't really see any difference.

Just curious as I look at these type of comics as a commodity that is easily traded especially with volume. (i.e. there will be another one sold tomorrow, next week etc.)

Do you also count your cutlery? (shrug)

too much time on your hands that you needed to post this? maybe i should pull out my knives with the snark as well?

Or is economic theory as it relates to the marketplace too much for you to grasp and add a worthwhile comment to?

For the most part I buy GA which can't be considered commodities since each one is unique.

KJ 9.8 and NM 9.8 for the most part are interchangeable units.

I would still like to know how you guys can tell the difference between 9.8s other than trimming issues.

That's what I would have thought, but I think cover centering (registration?) can be the most notable difference between 9.8s. And what do you mean by trimming issues?

probably another faux paux on my part, when i meant trimming issues i meant edge issues with the artwork.

i.e wolverines blades cut off on giant size x-men #1

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

You too, mate, all the very best. (You can probably put a considerable chunk of my crankiness down to the fact that Hodgson's still in charge!)

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

You too, mate, all the very best. (You can probably put a considerable chunk of my crankiness down to the fact that Hodgson's still in charge!)

Hodgson is the best thing that has happened to Liverpool in a long time

Happy Christmas!

Hug a n00b.

Go yourself.

Happy Christmas!

Hodgson is the best thing that has happened to Liverpool in a long time

You're an Arsenal fan, right?