• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earliest 9.8 ever...

37 posts in this topic

Cool List... although I can't seem to find which book is the oldest 9.8, it did show that the oldest 9.9 was a ZIP COMICS #7 from 1940 - that's silly...

For some reason I remember that book being a double cover.

Cool List... although I can't seem to find which book is the oldest 9.8, it did show that the oldest 9.9 was a ZIP COMICS #7 from 1940 - that's silly...

For some reason I remember that book being a double cover.

Since the overall grade of a multiple cover book is whatever cover grades the highest, it still could be. I don't think CGC lists the grade of every cover in the Census.

As far as 9.8's go... I found a Crackajack funnies in 9.8 from june/1938 - although Cheetahs is a much cooler book, anybody beat this early date?

euh3df.jpg

That was quick. I really like that Crackajack Funnies #9 (was thinking of buying Metro's a while ago) but agree that Cheetah's Fight is definitely a cooler book. I would love to see someone post that 9.9 Zip though.

I think I remember seeing this for sale. Maybe on CLink. It is published by a company that does reprints. I expect the date is incorrect and that it was published between 1970 and today.

Of course, I could be completely misremebering.

It was my book, its a UK reprint comic from the 1960's. Since there was no published date in the comic, they said better safe than sorry and did not assign it a date. They actually had a date on my order form up until the finalizers looked at it and took it off. I had four old reprint comics on the same form, they took off the dates on all of them right at the very end.

I went :tonofbricks:

I don't really know which one is oldest but this one is pretty old.

Fight08FC.jpg

Perchance is that your book, Jeff?

yep.

I would pay money to see your collection and your sales thread

of doubles or books you no longer needed made me realize how

far apart so many of us are in the quality of our collections.

You should be very proud of the incredbile collection of books you've

put together you lucky devil.

Fight08FC.jpg

yep.

Dont even try it!!!

I already said earlier today in the SA forum that i would pay to tour cheetahs comic room. If anyone gets to do it, i got dibs!!! :sumo:

lol

btw,

Really cheetah?!? REALLY?!? A freaking 70 year old 9.8 white :censored: pages! I'm starting to not like you :grin:

Fight08FC.jpg

yep.

Dont even try it!!!

I already said earlier today in the SA forum that i would pay to tour cheetahs comic room. If anyone gets to do it, i got dibs!!! :sumo:

lol

btw,

Really cheetah?!? REALLY?!? A freaking 70 year old 9.8 white :censored: pages! I'm starting to not like you :grin:

I like you... I really really do.... so that should mean I get first dibs when you sell.. :eek: . right... ummm, right...

Fight08FC.jpg

yep.

Dont even try it!!!

lol

btw,

I like you... I really really do.... so that should mean I get first dibs when you sell.. . right... ummm, right... :eek:

Can't recall the first time I talked to Jeff on the boards, but it was likely about 3 years ago, and it was definitely about our shared collecting focus: The Avengers. At the time, I thought I was in the same league as Jeff: we were both after high grade copies, although he was collecting the entire run, and I was sticking to #1-250. We started a PM thread with gaz973, Bill Breck, dikran, and later added TempusFugitivus just to discuss the Avengers and help each other with our collections.

He's been a great friend to me - acting as middleman for some Ebay deals where the seller wouldn't ship to Canada, for example. And I was glad to help him fill one of the final holes in his Avengers CGC set.

But as for being in the same league: boy was I deluded about that! My collecting/buying has slowed down to a virtual standstill, and meanwhile Jeff has taken off like a freakin' rocket and has left most everyone on this board choking on his vapor trail.

I'm just in awe of your collection, Jeff. Truly remarkable. :applause:

Thanks, Andrew. I enjoy collecting more than just about anything short of my family and I appreciate friends like you, Garry, Bill, Dikran and John. Makes collecting even more enjoyable to have friends to share it with.