• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

You have a mouth on you DiceX don't you? My talk is only to inform others of what is really going on here. I understand your loyalty towards big brother CGC man though. You don't want to be confronted in your beliefs. You get defensive. I understand your position completely.. You are in the majority, so yes feel comfortable in that as you do.

if you had 100k to spend on a comic, wouldn't you buy an action 1 instead? most straight thinkers would.

not sure why you make assumptions i would crack it out or re-submit. those would be stupid things to do if you are trying to earn a living on comics. obviously no fool would crack out a 9.9 or 10.0. unless you want a 9.8 back.

Wow, Greengood, you should probably STFU.

Immediately.

Not because you don't have anything worthwhile to say, but..Jesus, you need to remove your foot from your mouth. Maybe you should taste that foot first, and remember that flavor before you ever post again. Just give that big toe a good lick.

You ask me a personal question in what my ebay ID is. Seems like that's what you got mad at. I do not know you on a personal level yet and it is not mandatory to disclose that information on the boards. I could be wrong, as I do not know all the board rules yet. But I think you overstep your bounds when you ask such a personal question to someone that you do not know. My ebay ID is not relevant to this hulk 181 9.9 discussion.

Why do you say this to me Beau? What offends you in my postings? I only post to discuss, not to offend.

You post to offend, or to get a rise from people. I admit I fell for it. You're a half-decent troll. However, I'm bored, and too tired to deign to romp with a troll like you ATM.

I post to inform. I will give you brutal honesty. I sell CGC comics and I buy them for my own collection too. I buy and sell raw books too. I do not worship CGC because of their shiny plastic cases and big number grades. You seem like a brainwashed CGC slave when you show your loyalty towards them, as you have in telling me I have nothing worthwhile to say. THAT is a post to offend and get a rise... I have more worthwhile to say than you ever will regarding the CGC. You can post your pictures of your tattooed self if that was you, not sure.... But I think we'd rather see less of your important body and rather hear more about your opinions on the CGC, if you have anything worthwhile and informative to say about them, other than how much you like their shiny plastic cases to put your Spider-man comics behind lol. You cannot be helped nor educated further on the topic of CGC matters. You are an inane drone.

If you were a more careful and observant reader of the boards, you'd know there are collectors of all varieties here. Many are sufficiently wary of the distinction between the top numerical grades and unconvinced that they differentiate comics as collectibles that they focus their buying on grades below 9.8. Indeed, some of the collectors you've characterized as slaves of CGC are in fact collectors of this ilk.

A 'holier than thou' stance is never going to win friends and influence people. It's a shame, because topics you raise (the reliability of grading at the very top end and the potential for damage within the slab) are important topics that have been discussed widely before, and those prior discussions have played an influential role in redirecting the foci of several collectors who are regular posters.

Have you failed in your board lurkings to see the oft-cited phrase 'buy the book, not the label'?

Very interesting reading. I have to agree with Mr Greengod here about his ebay id being private and there is no need for some of the comments towards him. Again I found some of what he posted to be interesting. However, I agree with Namisgr that you did come on a little strong greengod. Theres my 2c and I don't normaly post more then a few words at a time around here....just like to read and learn! :shy:

I must say green, that your ability to gild the lily is going off without a hitch. (thumbs u

First you insult members of the board by finally having the uncontrollable need to save us from ourselves in the purchase of 150k funny book. Thank you (worship)

You insult me as a collector by criticizing the very thing you are peddling to your buyers. If you think CGC is foolish, and its supporters are blind worshippers, by all means show your vote of no confidence by staying away from them.

You insult my intelligence with your privacy argument. You offered up your Ebay seller status, as well as the info on your inventory. The transparent reason you don't want to give your eBay handle is that you will be viewed as a hypocrite and potential buyers on these boards may be inclined to pass on your books.

The unfortunate situation is I actually agree with you on the topic. The 9.9 is a completely arbitrary decision based on nothing but the whims of some particular grader on some particular day. But that does not invalidate CGC as a whole. The dollar values for a 9.9 or 10 are so many standard deviations from the mean that you must view them as anomalies and IMHO stay away (shrug)

Edited by Mikenyc88

I must say green, that your ability to gild the lily is going off without a hitch. (thumbs u

First you insult members of the board by finally having the uncontrollable need to save us from ourselves in the purchase of 150k funny book. Thank you (worship)

You insult me as a collector by criticizing the very thing you are peddling to your buyers. If you think CGC is foolish, and its supporters are blind worshippers, by all means show your vote of no confidence by staying away from them.

You insult my intelligence with your privacy argument. You offered up your Ebay seller status, as well as the info on your inventory. The transparent reason you don't want to give your eBay handle is that you will be viewed as a hypocrite and potential buyers on these boards may be inclined to pass on your books.

The unfortunate situation is I actually agree with you on the topic. The 9.9 is a completely arbitrary decision based on nothing but the whims of some particular grader on some particular day. But that does not invalidate CGC as a whole. The dollar values for a 9.9 or 10 are so many standard deviations from the mean that you must view them as anomalies and IMHO stay away (shrug)

I was thinking he didn't offer the ebay name because, um, he's lying.

Where you get these idea from, I do not know. I am not trying to win friends and influence people. I don't read the boards that much. I'm not a big fan. but the hulk 9.9 had to be responded to. My posts were ONLY directed towards buyers buying 9.9s and 10.0s and especially the high bidder on the hulk 181.

My intention was to inform those that do not know, about the issues that arise with the high end grades, cgc 9.8 to 10.0. This discussion was solely about the hulk 181 in cgc 9.9 grade. I am aware that there are collectors who buy all grades, I am one myself. I realize lots of comics are not aware in high grade. I am sorry for the holier than thou attitude, I was only trying to inform, and I get passionate about this topic. When I feel attacked simply for my strong opinion, I will defend myself. Most are not used to definitive views on the CGC.

My point being that comics from the 1970s should never be graded over 9.8, in my opinion. Another point being that the assignment of the 9.9 grade to the hulk 181 is not valid. A comic that is 35+ years old will have general paper deterioration or other wear that simply comes with age that takes it out of the 9.9 grade. The 9.9 grade is the old tag I believe, and back in the first years of the CGC, they had not determined the proper usage of the 9.9 and 10.0 grades. Nowadays, usually only assigned to comics post 1990 they seem to do. Anything before that would have baxter paper or be squarebound, etc.. but not a regular folded standard paper cover type comic..

I am trying to say "buy the book, not the label". you summed it up for me. Too many buyers buy the label, and accept the grade, and do not even take a look at the comic and examine it for misgrading. It has turned into a competitive game with the registry rankings. Is that good for the hobby? Who has the highest graded set? Inflating people's beliefs in comic value? The watchmen #1 in cgc 9.8 is a perfect example. or the gi joe #21 in 9.8. The first buyers of those comics.... well need I say more? Would you be mad at the CGC? would you feel deceived? I feel very bad for the 9.8 buyers of those comics early on. Some know not to buy the first copies, but others are unaware of the trends.

The cgc's word is accepted all too often. I feel that they overstep their bounds at times, even damage comics, and overgrade them as if they are not responsible for the damage. I have a 9.6 with a 1/2" color breaking corner crease. obviously they damaged it, so why did they assign it a 9.6 still? I will find it and post. how do i upload a pic? They should have refunded the market cost of the book after damaging the book. A friend of mine had a hulk 181 damaged. it was a 9.8, but only given a 9.4. afterwards he had it pressed, and luckily received the 9.8 the second time around.

the only reason I can see greengod's ebay id as being relevant is that it "might" add some credibility to his statements...at this point, he is just an anonymous poster...what he says could be 100% truth or 100% fiction... he has offered no verifiable background, no references, no established reporte with the board etc...so , truthfully, why put any credance in what he says (shrug)

identifying an ebay id would not alleviate , but might help to establish legitimacy/reference, and certainly shouldn't harm him/her (not sure if gender has been disclosed or not, so don't want to offend) from offering...

I for one don't even like to buy comics over a 9.0, but my history and opinions are long documented, my ebay id is well known, as is my persona and credibility (thumbs u

the only reason I can see greengod's ebay id as being relevant is that it "might" add some credibility to his statements...at this point, he is just an anonymous poster...what he says could be 100% truth or 100% fiction... he has offered no verifiable background, no references, no established reporte with the board etc...so , truthfully, why put any credance in what he says (shrug)

identifying an ebay id would not alleviate , but might help to establish legitimacy/reference, and certainly shouldn't harm him/her (not sure if gender has been disclosed or not, so don't want to offend) from offering...

I for one don't even like to buy comics over a 9.0, but my history and opinions are long documented, my ebay id is well known, as is my persona and credibility (thumbs u

I agree, but the issue for me is I don't know green and don't know that he sells on ebay. He offered up that info, yet is so offended that someone would want to know the id?

These guys are the Sherlock Holmes of funny books. They recognize patterns in posts to out shills, they do forensic investigation to ultimately lead back to a shill or hos member or some random ebay fraudster. You must know your audience, he's been a member since 2006, and expect to be called out if you make bold claims, submitted 500 books etc.

Are we here to learn and discuss? or would everyone rather just be happy clickers on your emoticons and accept big brother's foot up your on each $20 slab? Get passionate people and don't be afraid to say what you feel. No one needs to know my ebay handles. After all this I'd give them out? no chance. There is too much negativity on these boards and criticism of simply what is my opinion in the matters. Perhaps some do not want to face themselves for their reluctant acceptance of the CGC. This is 1984 and we are all at war against Eastasia, or is it Eastonia? who knows... but in the end, everyone will wake up to their shock treatment and see the green pastures. All will feel the CGC's power, and their power over the hobby. The hobby is no longer sacred. When you go out past the city limits into the green fields with your woman to read some unslabbed books together, to escape the plastic that is now everywhere in the city, the CGC will be hiding behind the bushes. They prey on all. Just when you are at the high point of the story together, the CGC will reveal themselves and they will grade you!! You will be taken away and put behind plastic too!

Yes I believe that most people MUST be CGC slaves in order to collect or even deal nowadays. I sell CGC and therefore I am a slave. Most of my profits go to CGC for fees. It is only getting worse. One must reach their low point, before they can begin to surface again, just like Winston. and the CGC will make sure you go down to the lowest point first, before you even have a chance at recovery again. Some cannot survive the trip to the lowest point, and give up the hobby. There is no recovery for those who buy watchmen #1s for 3k, and cannot get $500 out of the comic now. They are turned off from the hobby. It has been ruined for them by the CGC. In turn, all the burned buyers should get together and burn their copies of watchmen #1 cgc 9.8 together in one big flaming bundle of BS, and laid back upon the CGC's doorstep.

Here is my opinion about it.

CGC is in the best position to determine if it is a 9.9 or not. Clearly better than this guy whoever he is. They have seen a ton of 9.8s of this book. Apparently for some reason, they decided this book was better than the 9.8s which they had seen.

Its not your book. Its not your money. So what do you care?

Edited by Dale Roberts