• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Collecting Thread!
2 2

155 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this because it's a "Collecting" thread, not an "Appreciation" thread so if it's out of line I apologize.

I was reading through my Showcase reprints of Aquaman and I noticed that in the mid-20s issue numbers the art style changes a bit.

I mean, the pencil artwork is still clearly Cardy, but it seems like the inking style changes back and forth. Some issues the inks seem a bit crude, another issue the inks are bold and simplified, some issues they're scratchy and almost seemed rushed in some panels. (I don't think I'm doing a good job describing this)

Anyway, I know creative credits can be sketchy from this period but did Cardy ink all of his work on this series and was just experimenting with different styles of inking? Or was there a series of different uncredited inkers during this time?

So Nick Cardy passed away November 3, 2013 and I realized there was no discussion on this thread about it (although these boards did recognize his untimely death in a separate thread). Thought it would be appropriate to give this thread a bump up so we could marvel over some of his most spectacular covers from the Aquaman run.

RIP Nick.

One of my favorite covers. Is this considered 2nd appearance of Black Manta? Can't find any note of when it is confirmed. Now someone please sell me a 9.0 #35 to go with! :takeit:

DSC00470_zps6475583f.jpg

Congratulation on the pick-up! That's one of my favorite Cardy Aquaman covers too. It's one of the first issues I sought out when I started collecting the series.

It is Black Manta's second appearance in the title. I'm not aware of any appearances outside of the title between #35 and #42 so it probably is his 2nd appearance overall.

It's not noted as such in the OSPG and thus not noted on the CGC label. Probably because Overstreet doesn't deem it significant enough. Though with what's been going on with #35, that may change.

Speaking of #35, get ready for some sticker shock. In the last 6 months, for whatever reason, key chasers have decided this is the undervalued key they just have to have. A couple of months ago a CGC 9.0 sold on eBay for just shy of $500, that's about 5 times Overstreet 9.0. Since then, raws in lesser grade have been selling for crazy prices too.

I picked up a nice 35 at Megacon this past Friday at a reasonable price. Look at the recent auction sales on eBay, it's a hot book.

Hot or not, it's irrelevant to me. Why would/should I care?

???

GOt this a few weeks ago

WHITE PAGES!

IMG_24201_zps1be54a5e.jpg

I posted this earlier on this thread several months ago, but it's worth repeating what Nick Cardy told me a couple of years ago regarding the cover to Aqua 37: that 37 was one of his personal favorite covers.

Absolutely stunning cover ... the composition, the emotion, and the colors.