• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 1 - All facts about Todd's Spider-Man issue one.

145 posts in this topic

I was gonna send this in for grading but would have had to remove the free gift which would have marked the cover.

Guess I will just keep it as it is :(

AMS1.jpg

your patch is taped to the cover or bag?

The patch is taped to the cover ( free gift ) the book doesnt come originally in a bag :(

I was gonna send this in for grading but would have had to remove the free gift which would have marked the cover.

Guess I will just keep it as it is :(

AMS1.jpg

I actually like the sticker on this, gives it character

Good or Bad, Spider-Man 1 is a very iconic issue. And is one of my favorite covers as well. I like the story too. Todd's McFarlane's Lizard is cool. (Has anyone mentioned the Blue Lizard variant yet?) This issue sold about 2.8 million copies being one of the first comics to sell over a million and setting a record at the time.

The original artwork for the cover I believe sold for $250,000.

...I'm sending in my Platinum Edition tomorrow to be signed by Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. This will be my first CGC book. :) I hope it grades high.

Not sure what all the hype is on the Gold UPC version other than for completest. The only difference is the UPC code. It doesn't have the special artwork the Platinum edition has. Honestly I like the cover for the green or platinum edition way better. As the book was intended for.

I have a black copy of this book. I loved the artwork and the story was pretty good at the time as well. Yeah, this book broke records but sadly, I think it also led into the gimmick cover trend that ruined comics in the 90's. When you have multiple covers of one book then it obviously skews the numbers. How many original books were sold versus people buying up the different colored books? Sad really.

I'm packing up my house to get it ready for sale. Packing up my books I was able to take a quick group shot of my small little Spidey #1 collection. iPhone photos are the worst.

[Top Row] Silver, Gold, Green

[bottom Row] Green, Green & Silver signed with stamp, Gold, Silver Poly Bagged.

2013-11-13224720_zpsb77fa91b.jpg

It is a shame that there are so many copies out there of this comic and it is basically worthless. I remember how excited I was as a kid when I got my first copy. Despite its lack of value, it is still one of my favorite covers of all time.

I think we all have that feeling. But you know what? It's still worth a couple of bucks and that in and of itself is awesome. When Todd left the series went to . We love you Eric but you're no Todd.

By the way, does the original art for Spider-Man #1 even still exists? I would love to own a good Spidey swinging shot.

Sure does, The Spider-Man 1 Cover sold at heritage for 358K, So unless you're rich, you could make an offer.

I'm packing up my house to get it ready for sale. Packing up my books I was able to take a quick group shot of my small little Spidey #1 collection. iPhone photos are the worst.

[Top Row] Silver, Gold, Green

[bottom Row] Green, Green & Silver signed with stamp, Gold, Silver Poly Bagged.

2013-11-13224720_zpsb77fa91b.jpg

:applause:

I'm bummed. My book came back an 8.0 with Stan and Todd's signature. I heard grading was forgiving on this book with the thicker card stock cover, but not so much. I had white pages with no visible stress lines or bends. Just the spine had wear on it.

Actually, quite the opposite. The thicker card stock (due to its durability) is and should be held to a higher standard. :sorry:

I'm bummed. My book came back an 8.0 with Stan and Todd's signature. I heard grading was forgiving on this book with the thicker card stock cover, but not so much. I had white pages with no visible stress lines or bends. Just the spine had wear on it.

Actually, quite the opposite. The thicker card stock (due to its durability) is and should be held to a higher standard. :sorry:

It's not more durable though, it's less forgiving and more likely to split.

It's not more durable though, it's less forgiving and more likely to split.

Even if as you say, it's less "forgiving", it doesn't mean the grade should be treated thusly. A split is a split is a split. :sumo:

Well I saw this listed the other night for $99 so I pulled the trigger immediately. Guy told me after I bought it he didn't know what he had, said he had 4 others but would still send it to me. I noticed after I bought it he either relisted another one of the same one I bought. So we shall see if I recieve the comic I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191501545474?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And here is the ad he said he posted that is suppose to be a different comic but the picture sure looks the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-spiderman-1-comic-McFarlane-gold-UPC-version-2nd-print-mint-not-graded-/191502274458?