• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Your Modern Comics

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been collecting since 1986. A lot of my stuff just went into polyethylene comic bags and long boxes. I think they are holding up pretty well, although it might be time to change those original bags(but who has the time or money to re-bag EVERYTHING!).

These days all the local shops seem to be carrying the Ultra Pro polypropylene bags. I have been using Ultra Pro brand backing boards on my new comic purchases that I feel are "board worthy". Comics like Jim Lee's Batman, Marc Silvestri's New X-Men and Micheal Turner's Aspen and Superman covers are absolute treasures to me! Those babies get extra special care and are carefully placed into a silver age polypropylene bag with backing board.

How do YOU care for your "modern trasures"? Do you go all out with expensive Mylar and ACID FREE backing boards?

I do not plan on CGCing any of this stuff. I just want to keep it as Minty as can be. CGC has made me more critical of the condition of my new comics. I take my time and "cherry pick" my comics each Wednesday morning. I remember the days when I would just pick a copy off the rack, go home and read it, then put it in a bag and long box. Life was a lot easier then. grin.gif

THANKS!

27_laughing.gif

You're a non-literate troll, but funny nonetheless. wink.gif

893whatthe.gif

You, you're just a non-literate troll. sumo.gif

I think you're trying to use the word "illiterate" grin.gif

Normal Ultra Pro comic series bags and acid free backing boards for everything. Don't be afraid to still take your books home and read them and then throw them in a bag.

If your not CGCing them then you should'nt have to worry about them being in 9.6-9.8 condition, unless your hoping to try to make a return on your investment down the road? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

You're a non-literate troll, but funny nonetheless. wink.gif

893whatthe.gif

You, you're just a non-literate troll. sumo.gif

I think you're trying to use the word "illiterate" grin.gif

No, I KNOW he can read. It would be hard to follow a message board if he couldn't, eh?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember talking about this a year ago...storage?

As far as rebagging goes, I bagged a bunch of my moderns back in the early 80's and re-bagged them for the first time a couple years ago. They were as fresh as the day I first read them. The bags were dirty, dry...even some had a bit of dry mold on them (from my days of storing my comics in an uninsulated basement against an outside wall). But, the comics were well protected. I do remember there were doubts to my story, but since I first talked about it Jbud was over and he saw 'em.

I also store them flat with no backer board. While many are still ok, a few have had their corners curled just a bit. But...only a few. I know I should know better, but I just haven't the patience to re-bag my collection with backer boards. I'm also not an ultra-hi-grade collector, but do enjoy looking at raw 9.4's purchased new 25 years ago. It's a nice feeling. grin.gif

I'm also not an ultra-hi-grade collector, but do enjoy looking at raw 9.4's purchased new 25 years ago. It's a nice feeling. grin.gif

Even if they're Dazzlers?? Bizarre.

Nah, not the Dazzlers...I'm talking about my Rom 1's! 893frustrated.gif

I just swapped out all my old bags and boards for Mylite 2's and Full Backs. The definitely cost more, but then again... I don't have to switch them out anymore. If you go through E Gerber then you're looking at about $365 for 1000 bags and boards. It works out to 36.5 cents per bag and board. Does 36.5 cents sound like too much money to spend on any of your comics? The hardest part is just coming up with the $365 in the first place. You can buy them in smaller amounts (they allow you to order in 50 packs), but the price per bag/board goes up.

The Full backs also give me piece of mind that if my fiance wants to look at a book she won't bend the spine. Very sturdy. The Mylites are so crystal clear that they actually make the comic look better then when their not in their bags. confused-smiley-013.gif

All in all I think they're a good investment.

for moderns, mylars or mylite2s just seem like it's a waste of money... even at a broken down cost of 36 cents. Is it too much to spend? sure it is when you multiply it by a factor of 1000. I just don't see a need for me personally to spend extra money when the book doesn't need to be preserved in such a fashion.

however, that's me. Obviously, you have moderns that are as important to you as silver/bronze is to me. If you feel like they deserve the extra treatment, then, as noted above, an extra 36 cents should be well worth the cost for proper preservation. If you can't afford to fork over $360 all at once... you can always buy the regular mylars or mylite2s in smaller quantity and reserve them for the books you treasure the most... the rest in fresh bags and boards.

It's not really that I think the moderns I have are all that nice. It comes down to most of the comics that I have being ones that are in complete runs of Wolverine and Uncanny X-Men (only 65 to go smile.gif ). The comics in those runs I have no intention of selling any time soon. Now for the few comics that I'm speculating on I use the standard polypropolene bags and acid free boards.

It just seems to me that if it is something that you deem worthy enough to be a keeper in your collection then it's probably worth the extra money for the better bags and board. But hey... that's just me. insane.gif

Here's where I store all my Moderns:

mattsteel20lslim.gif

WOW...that's pretty advanced, who would have thought that you store your comics in airtight stainless steel preservation time capsule.

How much did you pay for that, was it cheaper than this one...

P412-0008.jpg

Here's more details on this technological marvel...

Preservation Time Capsule

grin.giftongue.gif