• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 in CL Auction

82 posts in this topic

ciorac, that is a great looking Action 1 you had in the 90s

It was the one of two that I was fortunate enough to purchase in that decade. And I'm certain I will not be so fortunate again

wow amazing.. you have owned one copy of action 1.. lucky guy! When you had it in the 90's, how much was the value of action 1 in this condition?

If I recall correctly I paid about 18-20k for the copy in the picture above. The other copy I purchased came in a collection of Actions that included 1 through 18 and quite a few other GA comics

Let's put it this way, if people are willing to pay five thousand for single wraps, this book will get more than 50K. It is an action 1 if that is stating the obvious.

Not all wraps sell for 5K. Only 7 wraps in the whole book have Supes.

Speaking of wraps, an "informed" owner of just an Action 1 CF could have, what, a 10K wrap on his/her hands?

I'd imagine whoever pays the anticipated final sale price for this either (i) has a CF or (ii) will relentlessly pursue one.

.5 restored incomplete, doubt it goes over 50K.

The pricetag of this copy will certainly mark out the current entry point for action #1's

Not necessarily. The cover looks exceptional, so that could bring it up above a similar copy with less eye appeal. Of course, at the same time, lots of people who want it to go cheap will work hard talking it down. Many factors at play here,and you can bet that between now and the auction end date there will be lots of inquiries regarding coverless copies and centerfolds which may or may not be out there

Just wondering what peoples' opinion on this book is, considering the condition its in. Also, any guestimates what this book will fetch?

http://www.comiclink.com/./auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2011feb%23Item%5F874381&id=874381

Can anybody expalin why this book was given a CGC grade of only 0.5 or is this the maximum grade given out for any "incomplete" book? ???

If the only reason for this 0.5 grade is due to the missing centerfold, does this mean the book will take a substantial jump in grade if a married centerfold is found for this so-called "incomplete" book? hm

Just wondering what peoples' opinion on this book is, considering the condition its in. Also, any guestimates what this book will fetch?

http://www.comiclink.com/./auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2011feb%23Item%5F874381&id=874381

Can anybody expalin why this book was given a CGC grade of only 0.5 or is this the maximum grade given out for any "incomplete" book? ???

If the only reason for this 0.5 grade is due to the missing centerfold, does this mean the book will take a substantial jump in grade if a married centerfold is found for this so-called "incomplete" book? hm

0.5 is both a maxiumum and a mininum at the same time.

It will never make complete sense to everybody, or even to most people, if you believe that the numerical grade determines its eye appeal or its relative desirability or even its and value, relative to books with other numbers on the label.

The grade is an assessment of its structure. Not unlike a numeric grade one might give to a car. If a car is structurally unsound enough to be undriveable, then it gets a 0.5 whether it's missing the engine or whether it's missing a five dollar valve.

Use the grade as one of many factors in determining whether a book has value, and you'll not get worked up over it. Expect the grade to give you a precise number which you can use to calculate its value whether or not you can even see the book, and you will be endlessly frustrated.

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn`t the owner be better off marrying the missing pages or, if that`s too expensive given the going rate of Action 1 pages, inserting a photocopy of the missing pages?

The book is a PLOD already, and now CGC would no longer grade it as an incomplete copy, right?

To me personally, the missing centerfold would have a very minimal impact on my enjoyment of a book like this. While obviously it would be well well out of my price-range even in its given condition, it still appears to be a book that might provide a more affordable opportunity to a buyer with the spending power necessary to win the auction.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the centerfold to Action Comics #1 contains absolutely no Superman material whatsoever...correct?

And am I also correct in that the missing piece out of the "19TH - 26TH PAGE" also has no impact upon the Superman material?

Provided my assumptions are correct, we're talking about a very well-presenting copy of Action Comics #1 with no missing Superman material...which is, lets face it, 99.9% of what makes this book the most valuable comic book in our hobby.

These defects (that I assume have no impact at all on the 1st appearence of Superman), might just place this book into the range of collectors who would otherwise never have an opportunity to own a copy of Action Comics #1.

Some people who thought theyd never own an Action #1 will probably be going for this one.

Which makes me ponder: how many of the potential buyers to a book like this is cheking this site (i.e. this thread?) 95%, 45% or 5% ?

Depending on the answer the dialoque here perhaps gets a certain strategic value hm