• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Costs

28 posts in this topic

So it looks like the cost of grading with CGC depends on the value of the comic. Obviously people here have used this service so, how does everyone feel about it?

If I understand it right its generally about 10 bucks a comic and you have to do a signifigant amount at one time. Or bring them into a comic show?

Do they verify sig comics?

PGX (taboo) slabs for $10, but I wouldn't use them for older books or books with second printings. You might send in a TMNT's first printing and have is manifest itself into a second printing and you wouldn't know it unless u cracked the slab open.

If you're going to slab ur personal collection and not sell it, then try PGX, CGC has about 90% of the slab market.

I know i'm going to get lambasted know, flame suit on!!!

CGC moderns with under 200 market value....

submit 30 * (17*.90)$15.30 10%discount =$459 + shipping to $12.00 priority with Delivery confirmation, return shipping from CGC will probably run about $45

so, ur probably looking at a MINIMUM of $515 grading and shipping cost for 30 moderns with MV each of under 200.

This averages out to about $17.20 per copy graded and shipped. $516/30=17.20

If you're going to slab ur personal collection and not sell it, then try PGX

This could be the worst advice anyone has ever gotten. Ever.

why don't you enlighten the new members and explain to us why, although I have no doubts you are probably correct!

So sean doesnt blow a gasket, I'll help him out. where should i start???

They dont do restoration checks

They have been caught switching books

They work out of their moms basement

You get about half the value trying to resell in a PGX slab

Should i continue?

For starters, as you said yourself, CGC has most of the market...essentially making PGX nearly pointless or obsolete.

I couldn't agree with you more, sometimes I wonder how is it that PGX is still in business.

which brings me to a brilliant idea that I had. PGX should change their business plan and stop competing with CGC, they need to develop there own grading structure. Perhaps go from a 25 point grading system to a 10 point grading system, offer slabbing/grading fees for $7 and $5 for a simple slabbing service with no grading for those who simply wish to have a nice way to present and store there more valuable books.

This would be something similar that beckett grading services offers in the sports card grading market. they have a full grading service and they have a more simplified grading scale that they offer for about 30% off.

I'm sure I'll agree with what most people here will say about PGX, I just wish some of the more educated members in this matter would educate the new members rather than dismiss their statements as insubstantial.

why don't you enlighten the new members and explain to us why, although I have no doubts you are probably correct!

Should i continue?

you are 100%, if you read my first statement, I pretty much allude to the same comments ur making regarding resale values and switching books. Never the less, there are some people who will rationalize using their service, despite the inferiority of the service because it's CHEAPER!!!

Should i continue?

you are 100%, if you read my first statement, I pretty much allude to the same comments ur making regarding resale values and switching books. Never the less, there are some people who will rationalize using their service, despite the inferiority of the service because it's CHEAPER!!!

Yes, some people might do that. Hang on, isn't that exactly what you did in a previous post?

PGX is a scam, pure & simple.