• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2011 - August 25th to 28th in Toronto, Canada - Now 4 Days!

562 posts in this topic

Roy has a booth? What number?

(thumbs u

I'll stop by and say Hi on Sunday.

Stopped by today to say Hi and ogle the merchandise. :o

Great stuff Roy (worship)

Thanks for stopping by, Sanj!

(thumbs u

Awesome books Roy.

I came by on Thursday and met your wife and daughter. They were very pleasant and friendly. You were MIA somewhere (hopefully not another elevator mishap :o ), so too bad I did not get a chance to meet you in person.

But great display, and glad you could make it up here to the show. Hope the show was/is especially good for you wrt sales.

(thumbs u

To the organizers: Great show. I went last year and gave it another shot this year and was impressed at how organized things seemed to be. Sure there were a few lines but overall it went smoothly. One thing I didn't understand is why people waited in the giant line to get their 'gift bags' if they had a premium pass! That is not the organizers fault but it just surprised me.

To Attendees: This is picky but was anyone else disappointed with the 'effort' made by Hasbro at the show? Last year they were had everything, this year they had nothing. It was a bit frustrating as they are one of the reasons I bought the premium pass.

To the organizers: Great show. I went last year and gave it another shot this year and was impressed at how organized things seemed to be. Sure there were a few lines but overall it went smoothly. One thing I didn't understand is why people waited in the giant line to get their 'gift bags' if they had a premium pass! That is not the organizers fault but it just surprised me.

To Attendees: This is picky but was anyone else disappointed with the 'effort' made by Hasbro at the show? Last year they were had everything, this year they had nothing. It was a bit frustrating as they are one of the reasons I bought the premium pass.

Good to hear. I'm glad it didn't turn into another debacle like last year.

Fantastic weekend, I had an absolute blast! :applause:

Thanks to all the Fan Expo promoters, organizers & volunteers! I could name names but I don't have that kinda of time to spend thanking all you fine people.

My only small complaint... I'm probably going to have Hugh Jackman's voice in my head for the next couple weeks.

"This is what it's all about. Let's make some MONEY!" - Real Steel :insane:

As we all recover from the show, it's nice to read that more people had positive experiences than negative ones. It enables us to relax easier knowing that there aren't folks out there actively seeking our deaths. While I had my frustrations (and I'm sure Tiz had even more), the show itself seems to have run well.

Thanks to everyone that came and we really appreciate your continued support.

The unfortunate problems:

EVS had his travel documents problem and it was silly in retrospect that it wasn't caught earlier. He was definitely missed. Hurricane Irene played havoc with some people's travel plans and it meant losing Ron Garney and Dan Slott in the process, and we had the unfortunate situation of some guests changing their travel plans to leave the show earlier - such as the very talented Ken Branch and Chris Claremont. Claremont was particularly disappointing because he missed his signing on Thursday and then got confirmation on his flight change just after his Friday signing had started - resulting in a rushed and limited signing. He was in many ways lucky to get out and home to his young family.

HOWEVER We really need to thank all of the amazing creators who did make it and stayed for the event. Tony and Kara Moore, Steve Epting, Jimmy Cheung, Jeff Smith and the hundreds of dedicated creators who were at the show.

It was also really great to see some surprise guests like Darwyn Cooke, Guillermo Del Toro and Guy Davis... and the biggest surprise Joe Pierson!

On our comics programming end, I really need to thank Andrew Walsh, Allison Covey, Walter Dickinson, Fred Kenedy, Brent Chittendon, Shelley Smarz, Jason Shayer, Brian Deemer, Keiren Smith, Robert Pincombe, Ron Kasman, Paul Truster, Rachael Wells, Kathleen Gallagher. Not to mention the folks at DC, Marvel, Image and the Kubert School for their well organized events. Attendance at workshops and sketch duels was the best we've seen in the events 17 year history.

Matt Allen and David Rey, the signing area team leaders who worked with Tiz were a huge help, as was our Twitter-master Ty Buttars and our application designer Justin Mohareb.

I thought the show was a great success.

I had plenty of traffic in front of my booth, sales and there was lots of fun stuff for me and my kids to do.

I have relatively few complaints.

I found the hall too warm most of the time with AC not keeping up with the temperature of the room.

The 8x8 booth sizes were a little on the tight side for a premium show like this IMO with SD and NY offering 10x10 booths, although I understand (based on what another dealer told me) that the pillars in the room determine the booth spacing. Not sure if this is true or not.

I was initially disappointed to be on the "outside" of the vintage comic area with most of the vintage dealers 1, 2 or 3 rows behind me but I learned to appreciate the aisle I had (500 aisle) as it offered a little space, lots of people to see and relatively easy access to food, bathrooms, etc.

My primary complaint with this show has always been how many escalators or elevators it takes to get to the main show floor (which happens to limit cel phone and data device connectivity) but that is not going to change unless the venue changes.

Positive include:

Lots of foot traffic/people

Decent crowd control (I was not there last year)

Easy to find a garbage/recycling bin when you needed one

Decent food (Pizza, hot dogs, decent wraps, ice cream)

Fairly well organized signing and photo opportunities.

Fairly well organized security staff with easy entrance for exhibitors (except for those escalators.

All in all, I think most people really enjoyed the show. My 4 kids had a blast and business was good!

R.

Definitely a great show, despite the last minute cancellations (damn that hurricane... hope you east coasters are safe). I made out like a bandit, with the sketches, commissions, and even winning the David Finch Joker piece, from the Finch/Francis Manapul sketch duel. Got almost all of the books I brought, signed (with the exception of Ron Garney, who was one of the last minute cancellations).

There were some hiccups, as well as a couple of things that did bug me, but nothing that truly had any real effect on me, other than a little inconvenience.

After it all, great show! Thanks to all involved with Fan Expo Canada! Definitely a lot smoother, than the previous years in the south building.