• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic got you serious about "back " issues?

81 posts in this topic

Mine was a 2 dollar copy of Tales to Astonish 93,about an 8.0.

Way back in 1989!Before then it was off the spinner and

yard sales for the most part.Once I had that beauty though,every weekend was

spent going through massive bins of "bargoon" boxes.Any Marvel of 15 cent or under

had to be mine!I was certain I would find AF 15 one day for 2 bux.I looked and looked and LOOKED!!(still searching)

I can still smell that store and the dust swirling in the sunbeams is clear in

my mind.Arthurs....

First went nuts over back issues of Mad magazine. I think I was 10 years old at the time. Found a box of about 50 early '70s Mads in the want ads for $20. The kid who owned them had to be driven over by his mom. The $20 was about a month's worth of allowance for me. The kid looked sad as his mom made him hand over the box. I couldn't help myself and got on my knees going through the magazines while they stood there. I guess maybe I was rude because I was definitely more interested in the Mads than in them. They looked at me like I was a bit looney-tunes. To me the mags were like finding hidden treasure.

New Teen Titans #1. I missed it and none of my buddies would trade it to me and then I discovered there was a comic book store in Lexington and dealers that would come to mall shows. I found one and paid 10.00 for it, a king's ransom at the time. But I was 12 and I had no clue other that I had to have it.

Just seeing the pictures of covers in the reprint volumes like Batman: From the Thirties to the Seventies made me want to collect the older books.

I got into Spidey well after Gwen Stacy died, but I kept reading about her and seeing her clone during the Clone Saga, along with Marvel Tales (of which MT 49 was a real fave of mine). Then a friend gave me a copy of ASM 124, with Peter totally losing control because of her death, and in one of the seminal moments on my collecting career, I was gifted a pile of old ratty BA books, which included:

ASM 121 and 122

Talk about being floored and at that point I had to get all the ASM issues from 123-up (I think I got all except ASM 127 - tough to find around those parts), of which most (except for 122 and 134) were lost in the Great Camping Trip Incident.

The other one I remember was buying Captain Marvel #32 and being blown away by the overall literacy of it. I couldn't believe I could buy superhero/sci-fi adventure stuff like this, and only for 20-cents a pop. I tried to find back issues, but these were impossible to locate and this book was the reason why, years later, I started testing the mail order waters.

I know that it was a Thanos story and i'm pretty sure that it was Avengers 125. Avengers was my main book when i 1st started collecting so i'm 99% sure that book was what got me really into the Thanos storyline. I wanted to read his "death" story which got me to buy my 1st back issues.

I know for a fact that the 1st back issues i ever bought were Avengers Annual 7 and Marvel Two in One Annual 2 bought at the same time for something like $5 for both.

I bought a copy of Wolverine #3 from the '82 Limited Series in a 50% off bin at Frank's Cards and Comics in Kenner, LA. I was probably 10 or 11. Still have it too!

Good idea for a thread! I hadn't thought about that store in a long time... :)

I cannot remember any one single comic. I do remember picking up a copy of Iron Man 13 and thinking how funky those "old" 12c books looked compared to early 80's comics. lol It was actually a turn off for me. That changed quickly however and I started going after older comics soon after that.

The one thing that's etched into my brain was seeing blurbs in some issues referring back to a particular back issue. There would be an asterik in a word baloon and then at the bottom of the panel it would tell you which back issue it was referring to. That, more than anything else, made me want to seek out back issues.

Star Wars #3 purchased for $4 at Buford Highway Flea Market in late summer 1985. I had purchased and worn out Star Wars #6 when it came out. Being a Star Wars fan, that was one of the only ways to relive the movie back then, reading that issue over and over and over again.

When I found #3, I was ecstatic! I didn't know I could actually complete the movie via comics now! So anyway, after getting a few more via an old Mile High ad (wow, who knew they were still in business after all that time, heh) I started picking up new issues .. which led to more back issues .. which led to comic book stores .. which led to conventions .. which led .. well, you know the story.