• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many times do you "hit" an auction your bidding on ?

17 posts in this topic

I just realized that if theres a book up for auction somewhere that I want, and its maybe a week from ending..... I still check it 10 times a day to see if anything has happened :insane:

Thats at least 70 page hits just by me alone.... and probably alot more.

Is this normal ?? :insane:

Once, then I put it on my watch list. I will then put in a snipe bid. I do check my watch list to see if anything has happened, otherwise I just wait for my snipe bid to execute only to be outbid with 2 seconds to go.

I'm with Senormac.

The Hulk #4 i was looking at, that dang book must have had 1,000 hits just from me! I definitely refreshed it about 100 times just in the last hour :blush:

I feel that there is power in visualizing your future winnings, therefore I look lol

Once, then I put it on my watch list. I will then put in a snipe bid. I do check my watch list to see if anything has happened, otherwise I just wait for my snipe bid to execute only to be outbid with 2 seconds to go.

No no no no, here's what you do:

You set a snipe bid, which gives you peace of mind and the confidence you don't need to worry about a thing. Then, on the day of auction end, you open the page and watch it to see what the price is. Realizing you will be around to bid manually, you cancel your snipe and plan to place a bid 6 seconds before it ends. That way you don't have to pay the sniping service a penny. Then you go into the other room to make a sandwich, and you get distracted. Suddenly you remember about the auction, and you rush back in to bid with just 15 seconds left. You click to bid but eBay gets hung up because it was still calculating the "eBay Bucks!" and it goes to an error page. So you click the back arrow and bid again, and eBay tells you the auction has already ended. Then you look at the end price and it was 50% less than you were willing to pay. You kick yourself and vow not to make the mistake the next time the item shows up for auction. But it doesn't show up for another two years, and when it does everybody sees it and bids up to a ridiculous amount far exceeding what you can afford. So you cry.

Once. If interested up to Gavelsnipe my snipe goes then I check the results once it's all done unless my snipe is outpaced before the end and I catch the notice from the service but these days ... doesn't happen very often.

You don't need a sniping service. You just need to learn how to aim. :makepoint:

Agreed. I snipe using nothing more than the countdown clock and my own wrist watch :hi:

On eBay, I set the snipe, check it before it is due, revise my snipe and then wait to see what happens.

On Heritage and Clink, I check every day or two to see what is going on, but it is usually meaningless up until the last few seconds since everyone else snipes, too. Five seconds to go, I submit my bid.

No no no no, here's what you do:

You set a snipe bid, which gives you peace of mind and the confidence you don't need to worry about a thing. Then, on the day of auction end, you open the page and watch it to see what the price is. Realizing you will be around to bid manually, you cancel your snipe and plan to place a bid 6 seconds before it ends. That way you don't have to pay the sniping service a penny. Then you go into the other room to make a sandwich, and you get distracted. Suddenly you remember about the auction, and you rush back in to bid with just 15 seconds left. You click to bid but eBay gets hung up because it was still calculating the "eBay Bucks!" and it goes to an error page. So you click the back arrow and bid again, and eBay tells you the auction has already ended. Then you look at the end price and it was 50% less than you were willing to pay. You kick yourself and vow not to make the mistake the next time the item shows up for auction. But it doesn't show up for another two years, and when it does everybody sees it and bids up to a ridiculous amount far exceeding what you can afford. So you cry.

Looks like you use the same system I do. :signfunny: