• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

Hi Gemma,

I'd like to follow up on a request from the past after watching the market trends concerning Razor Annual #1 (Regular and Gold Editions). This contains the 1st appearance of Shi from William Tucci.

It currently receives 120 points for a 9.8 of the Regular Edition, and 120 points for a 9.8 of the Gold Edition. Yet the only 9.8 sale in GPA is $228, and the same three 9.8's are in the census even though the book count has grown. Not as easy to achieve that higher grade as some of us would like.

I'd like to recommend 250 points for the Regular Edition, and a higher point count for the Gold Edition since the estimate is 10,000 copies of the Regular Edition, 3,000 for the Gold Edition. Especially with the $228 sale and only three 9.8's, it doesn't seem that far a stretch when we look at how other books have been assigned points based on value and availability.

Thanks for your consideration.

Any chance the Marvel 35 cent variants get a boost?

Amazing Spider-Man 170 7/77 35 Cent Price Variant 6.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 4

Amazing Spider-Man 171 8/77 35 Cent Price Variant 8.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 10

Amazing Spider-Man 172 9/77 35 Cent Price Variant 6.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 3

:tonofbricks:

Hi Gemma,

I'd like to follow up on a request from the past after watching the market trends concerning Razor Annual #1 (Regular and Gold Editions). This contains the 1st appearance of Shi from William Tucci.

It currently receives 120 points for a 9.8 of the Regular Edition, and 120 points for a 9.8 of the Gold Edition. Yet the only 9.8 sale in GPA is $228, and the same three 9.8's are in the census even though the book count has grown. Not as easy to achieve that higher grade as some of us would like.

I'd like to recommend 250 points for the Regular Edition, and a higher point count for the Gold Edition since the estimate is 10,000 copies of the Regular Edition, 3,000 for the Gold Edition. Especially with the $228 sale and only three 9.8's, it doesn't seem that far a stretch when we look at how other books have been assigned points based on value and availability.

2006 - when the 1st appearance of Shi in 9.8 was worth $228. Man, I miss those days :cloud9:

Gemma~

My freshly graded Strange Adventures #110 should move to 'shipped/safe' in the next couple of days, and surprise, surprise! It is the first one graded so the slot doesn't have any values. It isn't a big deal or any hurry, but when you have a moment I could benefit from some points...

Thank you, for all that you do for us geeks.

Lee K

Hi Gemma,

2006 - when the 1st appearance of Shi in 9.8 was worth $228. Man, I miss those days :cloud9:

None other has come up for sale. The indication of "old prices" is just the same typical attack on a registry book you don't collect.

(tsk)

Hello,

Please correct the score for Amazing Spider-Man 138: the points for Universal and Qualified are reversed (e.g., 9.8 Universal 240 points; 9.8 Qualified 524 points)-or are the Universal points correct and the qualified inflated?

Thank you!

Hi Gemma,

Gemma, please let me know if you need anything else for this request.

Thank you! :foryou:

• Administrator

I checked online and only show current sales for ungraded copies described up to Near Mint ranging from $30-50. I can bump up the scores a bit, but without any recent sales of graded copies I don't want to make them too high. I'm still looking into it, so if you see any recent sales of graded copies please let me know!

I checked online and only show current sales for ungraded copies described up to Near Mint ranging from $30-50. I can bump up the scores a bit, but without any recent sales of graded copies I don't want to make them too high. I'm still looking into it, so if you see any recent sales of graded copies please let me know!

Thanks Gemma.

Unfortunately, they rarely come up for sale graded (I only saw 9 of the 38 graded in GPA since 2003). And of the three that hit 9.8, only one has ever been sold. So it makes it tough to provide recent sales information, as the two board members with these books are definitely not selling.

On the Gold Edition, neither of the two in the census were ever sold via Ebay, and no 9.8 has come up yet in the census.

I appreciate you researching this and giving my request further consideration. These books are tougher than people realize to get a 9.6 or better example. And the Gold Edition has been a huge challenge.

• Administrator

If you have one you bought raw and then submitted you can PM me the sale data and the certification number for reference. That's at least something I can use also. But I'm not against changing them, I'm just trying to determine how much...

Hi Gemma,

Thank you, Gemma. :cloud9:

Gemma,

Just added my copy of Best Radioactive Man Event Ever #1 CGC 9.6 to the Registry, and I would like to discuss changing the point values for this issue.

This one-shot TPB was limited to only 1000 copies during its production and release at SDCC in 2009, a lot of which were kept by the writer of the story, Batton Lash. When he sells these on eBay (this is a fact from Mr. Lash himself) raw issues always go for $20+ dollars. I personally bought a copy from him at this price.

If we look at the CGC census, we see that there are only three graded copies of this issue, all Signature Series. I am aware of one that is signed by Matt Groening and has a large sketch on the front (9.8), as well as this 9.8 currently being offered for sale, also signed and sketched by Groening: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-Simpsons-Best-Radioactive-Man-Event-CGC-SS-9-8-WP-/140475539386

The latter copy has been previously sold at upwards of $1500, though I can't remember the exact price as my GPA has expired (if someone has the data, feel free to correct me!). Obviously this copy has not sold at the near $3000 asking price, but this shows the rarity of this issue and the difficulty to acquire such a copy.

Finally, there is my CGC 9.6 copy signed by the three members of the creative team - Bill Morrison, Tone Rodrigruez, Batton Lash and Andrew Pepoy. I personally paid $90 for this copy, which I'm sure could be considered a fair price by anyone who collects the Simpsons.

The current point system for Universal has 9.8 copies at 24 points. SS copies are 26. Universal 9.6 is 15, SS is 17.

My recommendation:

I think the score of this book in 9.8 Universal should be changed to 70 points (though there have been none graded) and 100 points in 9.8 SS. I think 9.6 Universal should be moved to 50 points, and 75 SS.

Obviously you have a better knowledge of how the point systems work, but I believe this book holds enough value and scarcity to be considered for a higher point value.

Thanks for reading, Gemma!

Gemma,

Just added my copy of Best Radioactive Man Event Ever #1 CGC 9.6 to the Registry, and I would like to discuss changing the point values for this issue.

This one-shot TPB was limited to only 1000 copies during its production and release at SDCC in 2009, a lot of which were kept by the writer of the story, Batton Lash. When he sells these on eBay (this is a fact from Mr. Lash himself) raw issues always go for $20+ dollars. I personally bought a copy from him at this price.

If we look at the CGC census, we see that there are only three graded copies of this issue, all Signature Series. I am aware of one that is signed by Matt Groening and has a large sketch on the front (9.8), as well as this 9.8 currently being offered for sale, also signed and sketched by Groening: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-Simpsons-Best-Radioactive-Man-Event-CGC-SS-9-8-WP-/140475539386

The latter copy has been previously sold at upwards of $1500, though I can't remember the exact price as my GPA has expired (if someone has the data, feel free to correct me!). Obviously this copy has not sold at the near $3000 asking price, but this shows the rarity of this issue and the difficulty to acquire such a copy.

Finally, there is my CGC 9.6 copy signed by the three members of the creative team - Bill Morrison, Tone Rodrigruez, Batton Lash and Andrew Pepoy. I personally paid $90 for this copy, which I'm sure could be considered a fair price by anyone who collects the Simpsons.

The current point system for Universal has 9.8 copies at 24 points. SS copies are 26. Universal 9.6 is 15, SS is 17.

My recommendation:

I think the score of this book in 9.8 Universal should be changed to 70 points (though there have been none graded) and 100 points in 9.8 SS. I think 9.6 Universal should be moved to 50 points, and 75 SS.

Obviously you have a better knowledge of how the point systems work, but I believe this book holds enough value and scarcity to be considered for a higher point value.

Thanks for reading, Gemma!

Thanks for the adjustment Gemma, I think it's at a good spot now. (thumbs u

First off, over the past 5 years I have requested a couple of scores to be looked at with no response. Older, hard to find in grade, GA books like Wonder Woman. I mention this in the hopes I get a response so I know this thread works.

Today, I received some books from the Central Valley collection, Golden Age funny books, all with fantastic preservation and White pages. I was dispappointed that the registry did not reflect any respect at all. As an example, Tip Top comics #134 in 8.5 White from 1947, highest graded, got a whopping 60 points.

How can, say a Spawn #1 in 9.8, common as dirt, get 80 points and the Tip Top, 64 years old in rare 8.5, get 60 points. What is the formula with the registry, is it only about the grade ? What about the rarity ?

Thank you for listening, as mentioned, I really hope to get a response.

First off, over the past 5 years I have requested a couple of scores to be looked at with no response. Older, hard to find in grade, GA books like Wonder Woman. I mention this in the hopes I get a response so I know this thread works.

Today, I received some books from the Central Valley collection, Golden Age funny books, all with fantastic preservation and White pages. I was dispappointed that the registry did not reflect any respect at all. As an example, Tip Top comics #134 in 8.5 White from 1947, highest graded, got a whopping 60 points.

How can, say a Spawn #1 in 9.8, common as dirt, get 80 points and the Tip Top, 64 years old in rare 8.5, get 60 points. What is the formula with the registry, is it only about the grade ? What about the rarity ?

I picked up some nice Mopsy comics from the Central Valley collection and they were basically worthless in the registry. A lot of the comedy, news strip reprint, and funny animal books get no value at all in points. Seems kinda silly for a 9.4 book from 1942 getting only a couple of hundred points. I guess it is just a matter of popularity.

I agree also. I think the current algorithm used is probably very good, but I hope there is room for tweaking based on factors like rarity and popularity. Meaning I don't think a huge change is needed.

Just like the BCS, I think that there are factors included already which can be tweaked a little. Hopefully that's already part of the equation, and it may be as simple as changing the affect of rarity, popularity, current demand etc, ongoing.

Bob, it's my understanding that the number of points awarded to a book in the registry is influenced by several different factors including value, desirability and rarity. The Tip Top Comics that you picked up, for instance, may be rare (a quick census check showed that it's the sole graded copy of that issue), but using that as the main basis for a registry point value would skew the registry completely towards GA books & indies with tiny print runs. In order for the registry to make sense, market value needs to be a main factor as well - which is why books like ASM #300 garner relatively high points values even though they're common as dirt.

If a book sells for $500 in 9.8, awarding it 100 points in the registry would be unfair - but so would giving 500 points to a $100 book no matter how old or rare it is.