• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

There were an odd number of issues which had white pages and/or were from a collection or pedigree. I think those things pulled in more buyers.

Maybe, and the 2.0 did have OW/W pages, but that still seems to be a very high price for the low grade book relative to the mid-grade. Personally if I were going to spend nearly $2,000 on a copy I would bide my time and find a bit higher grade book for the money. It isn't rare and there are plenty of copies to pick from in any auction generally.

Picked this up at a yard sale today: :insane::kidaround:

ASM1KEEPER.jpg

They had 2 other books there as well. Some guy in a cape holding a car + some guy dressed up as a bat. Left 'em because they were DCs.

WTF do you do for a living KS????(worship)

Diamond miner, bank robber, time machine operator, the mind reels at the possible occupations of KS...

lol I like time machine operator the best!! :cloud9: Alas, I'm but a humble working man who loves his funnybooks. Though I posted it in somewhat flip fashion, that ASM #1 was a long time in the making. I put together a nice HG run of ASM over the course of several years. I sold off most of the later issues to buy other books + then traded like 18 of the remaining books + some cash for this book. That was 2 years ago. In the last year I sold off many of my STs to buy a nice JIM #83. So, put together a nice run of books over several years, enjoy them + share them with friends, get a little bored, and then sell them all(or keep a few) for one fat book!! That's what's worked for me + you'll probably see me do it again!! ;)

Diamond miner, bank robber, time machine operator, the mind reels at the possible occupations of KS...

lol I like time machine operator the best!! :cloud9: Alas, I'm but a humble working man who loves his funnybooks. Though I posted it in somewhat flip fashion, that ASM #1 was a long time in the making. I put together a nice HG run of ASM over the course of several years. I sold off most of the later issues to buy other books + then traded like 18 of the remaining books + some cash for this book. That was 2 years ago. In the last year I sold off many of my STs to buy a nice JIM #83. So, put together a nice run of books over several years, enjoy them + share them with friends, get a little bored, and then sell them all(or keep a few) for one fat book!! That's what's worked for me + you'll probably see me do it again!! ;)

haha you sure caught my attention when you said yard sale. lol so wad's your next target?!

So if a AF 15 9.6 sold for $1.1 million, how much should a ASM 1 9.6 go for?

I recall the infamous ASM 1 9.6 that was purchased for $150k in 2002 only to be sold at Heritage for $92k in 2003.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=369572&Searchpage=40&Main=20716&Words=%26quot%3B%24150k%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post369572

This is the VERY first big-ticket item I ever purchased, the first SA Marvel mega-key and frankly, I don't think I'd want to upgrade it if given the chance.

DSC00604.jpg

And this a pic of me after opening it up (Winter 2007):

Photo3.jpg

ASM #1 is truly an underrated (and in this day and age, underappreciated) mega-key book.

Beyond being Spiderman's 1st full book appearence, 2nd official appearence, 1st appearence of J. Jonah Jameson, 1st appearence of Chameleon, and 1st issue of Marvel's most successful comic book series ever...

It's place as being the 1st Marvel-Age crossover is generally not given enough credit. The crossover in ASM #1 was a bit more important than others because of how much continuity became prevalent in the Marvel Universe.

Lee, Kirby, Ditko, etc. were able to incorporate this into those early creations which is part of the reason IMO, that Marvel became as great as it is today.

So much of that began in ASM #1...ontop of all the other factors that make the book super. (thumbs u

So if a AF 15 9.6 sold for $1.1 million, how much should a ASM 1 9.6 go for?

I recall the infamous ASM 1 9.6 that was purchased for $150k in 2002 only to be sold at Heritage for $92k in 2003.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=369572&Searchpage=40&Main=20716&Words=%26quot%3B%24150k%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post369572

I suspect considerably less than $1.1 million. First off, the census numbers are in AF #15's favor, with only 1 9.6 copy, whereas ASM #1 has 3 copies in 9.6 and 1 a bit higher in 9.8. So being more plentiful would hurt the price of the #1 because you don't have the title of "single highest graded" pushing up the price. And of course we are talking about a second appearance of the character, even with all the other factors going for it that are recounted by Wayne-Tec just above this post. If I had to guess I would put the over/under for a 9.6 copy of #1 at right about $300,000. And that is without worrying about centering or PQ or anything like that that might influence the price a bit one way or the other.

Now the price of that lone 9.8 is another story entirely. That book could approach the $750,000 mark, IMHO, especially if the same deep-pocketed buyer wanted to pair it with the 9.6 AF #15. I would certainly love to see a photo of those two side-by-side! :wishluck:

Actually if the buyer has very deep pockets I really would not be surprised to see him/her pay another million for the 9.8.

He/she can obviously drop this kinda cash on a book that might one day be matched so I can easily see the 9.8 looking good next to the 15 9.6.

Not sure there is anyone else who would pay that kind of money though.

Is the 9.8 owned by Brulato?Wonder what he thinks of it all...

Though I posted it in somewhat flip fashion, that ASM #1 was a long time in the making. I put together a nice HG run of ASM over the course of several years. I sold off most of the later issues to buy other books + then traded like 18 of the remaining books + some cash for this book. That was 2 years ago. In the last year I sold off many of my STs to buy a nice JIM #83. So, put together a nice run of books over several years, enjoy them + share them with friends, get a little bored, and then sell them all(or keep a few) for one fat book!! That's what's worked for me + you'll probably see me do it again!! ;)

This is the exact idea I've have been struggling with for some time now. Even though my books aren't too high grade and is generally small by most comparisons around here, I've been tempting myself with the thoughts of selling my whole collection, maybe adding a little bit and trying to get a nice higher grade ASM #1 or a "somewhat higher than low-grade" AF #15.

I do enjoy owning my books and all those villains on the covers, but I would really like to own one of those big keys at some point. Beyond fairly low grades (and I'm not even really sure if that would satisfy me once I had it), I don't think I'd be able to manage the cash to purchase one. Ultimately, my decision is still up in the air and I am still enjoying hunting for the other books I need for my collection. A couple questions though . . .

Do you ever miss having your old collection vs. the one "big" book? To everyone else, if you were to consider the same scenario, would you sell your "ASM" run (or fill in the blank) to buy that single mega key as a representation of what you had?

Great question and it's one that tosses around in my head now and again.

See, I'd LOVE to own a copy of Batman 1, and behind that, Detective Comics 38; however, the only book I'd consider unloading elements of my collection for is the Batman 1.

When it comes to the SA Marvel mega keys, I'm really only missing FF 1. Now, my AF 15 and ASM 1 are staying put--these are grail books and I have no intention of ever selling them. My TMNT #1 is in the same boat--staying put. But I will say there are a few books which I like, but I'm not enamored with in the same way--Avengers 1, Hulk 1, JIM 83, and then my SC22. I really do like my AV 4 and ToS 39 a bit, but not quite the same as I do my ASM 1 or AF 15.

Now, I've toyed around with the notion of selling off a number of these books (as most are signed by Stan Lee and are what many would consider higher presenting low grades, and should fetch a premium over FMV). By selling those, and perhaps a few of my lower number GA books, I could easily build a warchest somewhere between $3-$4k with enough time and finding the right buyers. That would get me pretty close to my mark and only about 7-10 books leaving my collection.

Tempting at times.

But, then I think about the hunt that went into some of these books and the temptation subsides. I know for some collectors, once the hunt is over, then the book can lose some of its appeal. For me, however, I find that with books that took some work in finding, or happen to have a good story behind them, I'd missing having them in my collection. I had one or two books like that which I sold, and I do miss them (but they went towards the AF 15, so it helps!-). One I've replaced already, the other I'm still looking to replace.

I'd really consider what book it is you want to pursue. IMO, it would need to be something well-established in your mind well ahead of time. I'll be honest: I was looking at some private dealers' autograph collections lately and probably the one thing I'd want more than a copy of Batman 1 is a J.R.R. Tolkien signature. To do that, I have one or two of my SA Marvel keys I would *gladly* sell in a heartbeat to raise the funds to purchase it. But I know that owning the piece would be the pinnacle to my paper ephemera collection, so there would be no regrets at all.