• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How I display my comics (Write up with Pictures)

50 posts in this topic

I have been searching for a way to hang up some of my comics that have not been graded. I have found some specialty frames that were fairly price ($20+) and that just felt like a lot of money to spend for the intended purpose. So, I got a little creative and found what I think is a great alternative all for less than $6.00. This is not professional by any means, but I feel it looks great, displays great, and is a great option for protecting my comics and allowing them to be displayed rather than sit in a box. Without further wait, here's what I made them look like!

5404945169_0758962781.jpg

IMG_0299 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

Now for the write to tell you how I accomplished this. It takes all of about 10 minutes and here is a list of the required items:

1. (1) 8.5x11 picture frame.

2. (1) Plastic Comic Holder.

3. (1) Piece of black construction paper.

4. Pieces of tape (masking tape will do)

5. (1) Comic book! (duh)

6. (1) Exact-o knife.

7. one pair of scissors.

5404941641_116ccf53f2.jpg

IMG_0301 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

Okay, that should be all you need to get started, first lets take a look at the frame. I purchased this black frame at walmart for $2.50. Its perfect for what I need because the wall mounts are towards the top of the frame, not on the flap that covers the comic.....this is important because we'll be removing that flap!

5404944211_3d46d55fcb.jpg

IMG_0304 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5405546430_c0fb2a68df.jpg

IMG_0305 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

So the first step is basically to bend the black flap backwards, and then take your exacto knife, and cut it out of there. Because the way the frames are designed, its not 'thick' enough to hold the comic book in the plastic cover. I could probably squeeze the book in by itself, but then i'd risk damaging it.

5404943285_816732aae8.jpg

IMG_0306 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5405547562_1f74158f64.jpg

IMG_0307 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5404940783_8f5ace6c29.jpg

IMG_0308 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

The next step, is to take a piece of black construction paper and place a white 8.5x11 sheet on top of it. Trace the outline of the white paper on the black paper, and then proceed to cut it out.

5405549222_8278d3de1f.jpg

IMG_0310 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5405547328_7120bebbd1.jpg

IMG_0311 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

This black piece of paper will serve at the new back to the frame. The next step is to take your comic in its protective case. Roll a piece of tape up and then center the black construction paper on the back of your comic protector. Basically you want to tape the contruction paper to the back of the comic protector. Make sense? We're almost done now! Next, take the original frame and make sure the glass is clean.....

5404942941_9cc5888809.jpg

IMG_0303 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5404940151_d8ac260924.jpg

IMG_0312 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

5405549980_60b87c0cbe.jpg

IMG_0314 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

Once the glass is clean, place it back in the frame, and then take your comic, and center it over the glass. The black piece of construction paper should line the glass perfectly.

5404942585_c330d482bd.jpg

IMG_0315 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

From this point, its important to do one thing......make sure the TOP of the comic goes towards the place to hang it on the wall. First one I did, I didn't check this...and well..... Now all you hafta do, is use a lot of tape, and tape the piece of construction paper down to the frame.

5404940505_3d060204e3.jpg

IMG_0317 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

This serves two purposes really. If the frame ever falls off the wall, I still have the plastic protector to save the comic. This is, in my opinion, a great way to display my comics and I still have two layers of protection. Glass from the frame, and plastic from the protector. There is no tape or anything touching the comic, so there is little chance of any damage occuring to the comic while everyone who visits gets to enjoy them as well. Here's what it will look like once its hung up.

5405546702_b7894a5e3b.jpg

IMG_0319 by brandonpaith, on Flickr

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and I hope some of you will enjoy this write up and maybe try this for yourself as an alternative to displaying some of your non-graded comics.

I think they look great. There are factors you may want to consider such a fading from light and acidity. Comics are meant to be enjoyed though. Maybe spend a little extra for the proper light protective glass and acid free material.

A couple of comments ...

1) The toploader that you're using to protect your comic book is not archival-safe (and doesn't really offer any sort of UV protection), so that's probably not the wisest storage choice here.

A Gerber Archive or Mylar (with a buffered backing board) would be much better - they don't offer much in the way of UV protection either, but at least they're archival-safe.

2) Regular glass (which is commonly found in cheapie frames) is, by far, the worst medium when it comes to UV protection - not to mention that if the frame falls to the floor, the glass will shatter and could potentially shred your comic book. Clear acrylic (found at places like Lowes and Home Depot - where they'll also happily cut it to any size you specify) offers better UV protection and doesn't shatter when dropped.

Regular glass and clear acrylic aren't suited for long-term exposure, though - TruVue's Museum Glass (insanely expensive) and Conservation Clear Glass (relatively expensive), or similar offerings from other glass companies, that offer true UV protection are much more preferable.

3) Instead of using construction paper, why don't you use standard, acid-free matboard behind the comic book? You can get that from pretty much any framing or hobby store. I'd also advise using the tabs in the frame to hold this in place, instead of the mass of blue masking tape - to avoid fading you wouldn't want to display any comic book for a long period of time, so being able to easily switch it out is important.