• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Someone please elaborate on this Spokane collection for me. This is my backyard but I had not heard of it.

A collection of high grade, mainly 1950s books from many publishers (but mainly focused on pre-code) that was brought to market by Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler about 13 years ago. The collection as you surmised was bought from the OO in Spokane, Washington. Page quality and preservation are exceptional, and the collection contains the highest graded examples of many pre-code books. If you're a pre-code horror fan, it's up there.

Many knowledgeable GA collectors say that the Spokane books are rivaled/exceeded only by the Salida books in terms of whiteness and freshness.

Crazy I spoke with an old guy who has a ton of Crumb stuff, he claimed to be friends with the uncle from the original adams family tv show, though I thought he was dead. I know there are storage shed, or old barns out here that contain old collections of comic books and I am out to find them.

hm So there might still be hope for a All NM Golden Age collection Mother load? :wishluck:

It's a bummer that there is not a way for the average collector to get a sense of the feel, smell, whiteness of all these different pedigrees. I have not had an oppurtunity to handle any of these pedigrees. :(

The pedigree book will be cool whenever they do decide to publish it. :taptaptap:

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Possibly the White Mountain.

Yes, a pedigree that contains the best known copies of TOS 39 and JIM 83, along with great copies of AF 15, FF 1, etc., and many many more late 1950s and early 1960s books, should be booted out in favor of a collection that is primarily notable because it has lots of 9.8 copies from 1966 to 1968.

:eyeroll:

+1

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Really? White Mountain is unmatched in SA pedigrees for breadth, depth and quality. Some of the PC and Curator books might be nicer, but White Mountain books are still pretty sweet and the collection encompasses such incredible depth in addition to quality. Northland and Mass, in my mind, aren't even in the same conversation.

Rocky Mountain is nice (i've been chasing them), but aren't the keys a little weak?

Did the Rocky Mountain have keys? Any keys older than 1965 that is.

there's a Daredevil #1 (8.5) which I knew about and after a search, it looks like there's an Amazing Fantasy #15 (7.0)

If memory serves me, the first couple rounds of the Rocky Mountains were auctioned on Clink as simply "original owner"....before the Pedigree was awarded it. I seem to recall some early ASM's and possibly some FF's. Clink may have more info....as I believe they have been cooperative with assisting with some of those books receiving stickers and so forth. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I've only seen one in person...an FF 42 that had to be the glossiest copy I've ever seen.

Well yeah but I am way too cheap to be buying a whole bunch of different pedigrees. :)

You don't have to buy keys. :gossip:

True but I am not sure of the depths of my cheapness. :)

On the other hand, why the heck not? I will make it a point to go hunt down a pedigree for and giggles this year.

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

So far i consider RM to be close to the Oakland and Western Penn collections. Lots outstanding books but mostly later SA and an iconsistancy in qop. Has the RM collection been fully released?

Western Penn is NOTHING like RM or Oakland. Western Penn has HG books going back to the GA and many HG books from the early SA.

The biggest knock against the Western Penn collection at this point may be that the collection wasn`t initially marketed as a collection and was retroactively given its name well after its initial dispersement, and the books don`t have identifying marks. I`ve been told the OO was a completist, so the apparent lack of depth or breadth of the collection is illusory. Many top copies of books may very well be Western Penn books but haven`t been identified as such.

My friend Chas said the books were originally sold through the CBG and that he bought a Conan 1 from him that slabbed out at 9.6. I'm not sure about all this, but supposedly one could inquire about books that weren't even listed for sale and sometimes work a deal. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Where does the Salida ped rank in all of this?

Absolutely stunningly white pages and colors but primarily includes 50s war books and Duck books and is little noticed outside of those collectors.

OFF32.jpg

Where does the Salida ped rank in all of this?

Absolutely stunningly white pages and colors but primarily includes 50s war books and Duck books and is for collectors within that niche.

OFF32.jpg

I have seen a bunch of scans of Salida war books (I think mostly yours :) ) and they do look really nice.

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Someone please elaborate on this Spokane collection for me. This is my backyard but I had not heard of it.

A collection of high grade, mainly 1950s books from many publishers (but mainly focused on pre-code) that was brought to market by Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler about 13 years ago. The collection as you surmised was bought from the OO in Spokane, Washington. Page quality and preservation are exceptional, and the collection contains the highest graded examples of many pre-code books. If you're a pre-code horror fan, it's up there.

Many knowledgeable GA collectors say that the Spokane books are rivaled/exceeded only by the Salida books in terms of whiteness and freshness.

every time i see a vancouver the pq is white.

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Vancouvers are also exceedingly pretty books. (thumbs u

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

The only problem with Vancouver is the books themselves. It's like the OO went out of his way to skip anything of exceptional future value.

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

For

Vancouvers are also exceedingly pretty books. (thumbs u

For overall "freshness" I would say Vancouver for the GA and Curator for the SA (In my admittedly biased Archiecentric experience).

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Just repeating what I`ve heard.

Although now that you mention it, I never hear about people rhapsodizing about the whiteness/color of Vancouver books the same way they do Spokanes and Salidas.