• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

I am just starting to learn about them now and this message board search really doesn`t help. So what are the top five collections of pedigrees? I know the Mile High collection has to be there.

So any info appreciated. :)

Depends on whether you're talking about quality or breadth. The Crippen pedigree is the 2nd largest with 13,000 books, but the quality isn't as high as many other pedigrees. The Larson pedigree has just over 1,000 books in it, all of which spent years in a barn, and many have foxing or other defects as a result.

The Church pedigree is given the top spot because it has both breadth and quality. Many pedigrees don't.

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Someone please elaborate on this Spokane collection for me. This is my backyard but I had not heard of it.

A collection of high grade, mainly 1950s books from many publishers (but mainly focused on pre-code) that was brought to market by Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler about 13 years ago. The collection as you surmised was bought from the OO in Spokane, Washington. Page quality and preservation are exceptional, and the collection contains the highest graded examples of many pre-code books. If you're a pre-code horror fan, it's up there.

Crazy I spoke with an old guy who has a ton of Crumb stuff, he claimed to be friends with the uncle from the original adams family tv show, though I thought he was dead. I know there are storage shed, or old barns out here that contain old collections of comic books and I am out to find them.

Have not seen it, might go and assess his collection for him, as best as I can, when I get up that way next time.

Golden age wise my favs are...

1) Mile High (Church)

amf2-10.jpg

2) San Fransisco (Reilly) - so many cool Timely books

ht2.jpg

3) Allentown - book for book as nice as any. But not a ton of books.

wonderworld8.jpg

4) Central Valley - Not that broad of a collection, but the few that are there are outstanding.

singleseries20.jpg

5) Larson -

mystic1.jpg

I am just starting to learn about them now and this message board search really doesn`t help. So what are the top five collections of pedigrees? I know the Mile High collection has to be there.

Depends on whether you're talking about quality or breadth. The Crippen pedigree is the 2nd largest with 13,000 books, but the quality isn't as high as many other pedigrees.

For what I collect, the Crippen books are second only to the Church collection. Even though many of my Crippen books are 8.0 to 9.0, they're still among the very nicest copies you'll see (and not infrequently as nice or nicer than the Church copies of the same books).

Depends on whether you're talking about quality or breadth. The Crippen pedigree is the 2nd largest with 13,000 books, but the quality isn't as high as many other pedigrees.

For what I collect, the Crippen books are second only to the Church collection. Even though many of my Crippen books are 8.0 to 9.0, they're still among the very nicest copies you'll see (and not infrequently as nice or nicer than the Church copies of the same books).

The depth of that pedigree is amazing. (thumbs u

Silver Age opinion, with depth, breadth, and quality of keys all being factors:

1. Pacific Coast

2. Curator - by reputation only, as not many have made it to market

3. White Mountain

4. Massachusetts

5. Northland

Sir Walter Raleigh's ("close, but no cigar"):

Western Pennsylvania, Rocky Mountain

Silver Age opinion, with depth, breadth, and quality of keys all being factors:

1. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Massachusetts

5. Northland

I'd make one small change...

1. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Massachusetts

5. namisgr pedigree

Just talking GA here

1. Mile High / Edgar Church

1a. San Francisco / Tom Reilly

3. Larson

4. Allentown

5. Denver

Hard to argue with this list.

I have a couple of Okajimas that I personally like because of the back story of this ped.

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Possibly the White Mountain.

Yes, a pedigree that contains the best known copies of TOS 39 and JIM 83, along with great copies of AF 15, FF 1, etc., and many many more late 1950s and early 1960s books, should be booted out in favor of a collection that is primarily notable because it has lots of 9.8 copies from 1966 to 1968.

:eyeroll:

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Possibly the White Mountain.

So far i consider RM to be close to the Oakland and Western Penn collections. Lots outstanding books but mostly later SA and an iconsistancy in qop. Has the RM collection been fully released?

Western Penn is NOTHING like RM or Oakland. Western Penn has HG books going back to the GA and many HG books from the early SA.

The biggest knock against the Western Penn collection at this point may be that the collection wasn`t initially marketed as a collection and was retroactively given its name well after its initial dispersement, and the books don`t have identifying marks. I`ve been told the OO was a completist, so the apparent lack of depth or breadth of the collection is illusory. Many top copies of books may very well be Western Penn books but haven`t been identified as such.