• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1`st Captain America Movie Poster

109 posts in this topic

I do believe this is the first Cap poster (1944)

You mean the movie where he ISN'T Steve Rogers, has NO Shield, NO Wings on his head, NO Bucky, and Doesn't fight Nazis?

I don't know what movie that is.

Those are mere Hollywood details. The poster even says it is "Based on the character appearing in Captain America Comics!" It's got Lionell Atwill as the villain so leave it alone! (tsk)

More doom and gloom from the Hollywood design committee. I would have liked to have seen something patterned after the WWII propaganda posters. Something upbeat, with victory as the goal. This poster screams defeatism, and sorrow, rather than optimism and hope. Disappointing.

Well said. This is Captain America we're talking about here... no head bowing allowed...

Surely you jest. Captain America is the single worst "hero", and I use the term loosely, ever spawned by the comic book industry. A name and costume that are jingoism personified, combined with singleminded WWII plots, buried the character beyond any hope of redemption in the early forties. Marvel's worst creative mistake was resurrecting the sap in Avengers 4. He should have been leff to chill in that iceberg for a few more centuries.

Captain America? No thanks boys. I'd rather watch, and read, Mighty Mouse than that patriotic joke.

:/

:eyeroll: ...whatever cheesehead... I like the poster~

You'd think they'd want him to at least look determined. He looks sleepy.

Dan

Well, if you want to get the old James Bond campy feel going, it would be perfect. hm

And what, pray-tell is wrong with Sean Connery Bond? :taptaptap:

Almost everything.

But the fan poster is more captivating, even if is suggests camp. The real poster suggests something along the lines of "look at me, I'm as grim as 'The Dark Knight' please watch my movie."

It doesn't matter what we think. The studio knows that we're going to see the movie. Movie posters are made for the general public, not the diehard fans.

yep! I was getting ready to say that.

This poster IS NOT for comic geeks but for the general masses.

You fanboys are a trip!

captain-america-poster_510.jpg

Honestly, the only problem I have is the condition of the shield. No matter what abuse was heaved on Cap, the shield never showed a scratch. Also, doesn't Hollywood realize that "Avenge" is such an angry word? What about all the vitriol that it implies? What are we supposed to avenge? Kinda vague if you ask me.

I do believe this is the first Cap poster (1944)

You mean the movie where he ISN'T Steve Rogers, has NO Shield, NO Wings on his head, NO Bucky, and Doesn't fight Nazis?

I don't know what movie that is.

Those are mere Hollywood details. The poster even says it is "Based on the character appearing in Captain America Comics!" It's got Lionell Atwill as the villain so leave it alone! (tsk)

I love the Captain America serial! :luhv::insane:

More doom and gloom from the Hollywood design committee. I would have liked to have seen something patterned after the WWII propaganda posters. Something upbeat, with victory as the goal. This poster screams defeatism, and sorrow, rather than optimism and hope. Disappointing.

+1

I also heard somewhere that the movie wasn't going to really reference the whole Nazi thing (despite being set in WW2)? Kind of hard since uhh, well...Defeats the point of Cap.

+1

I also heard somewhere that the movie wasn't going to really reference the whole Nazi thing (despite being set in WW2)? Kind of hard since uhh, well...Defeats the point of Cap.

They're removing the "America" part of him, too. :gossip:

+1

They're removing the "America" part of him, too. :gossip:

Well then that costume just HAS to go! :banana:

captain-america-poster_510.jpg

Honestly, the only problem I have is the condition of the shield. No matter what abuse was heaved on Cap, the shield never showed a scratch. Also, doesn't Hollywood realize that "Avenge" is such an angry word? What about all the vitriol that it implies? What are we supposed to avenge? Kinda vague if you ask me.

Hmmm... you're right. They wouldn't want to suggest that Cap was an Avenger or anything...

:foryou:

+1

Just tells us how out of tune Hollywood is with the mainstream compared to the the videogame industry as Call of Duty and Medal of Honor who have dealt with WW2 themes are both billion dollar video game franchises.