• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1`st Captain America Movie Poster

109 posts in this topic

From a design standpoint it's dull. If I were to turn this in while at art school I would fully expect a poor grade ( that's if the teacher approved the comp in the first place ). What does it really say? It's not telling me anything about the movie or making me interested to even find out more. It's a comicbook movie for cripes sake, it should be fun and interesting.

Ouch. :o That's a surprising harsh critique. (shrug)

Design-wise it has that all-important "1-2-3-Read" that moves the eye around the image (with #1 being the primary subject). The nazi flag in the upper left keeps the eye from wandering off. And most important of all, it has "energy" imho.

Overall I think it's a great effort by whoever did it. Things I would change is reverse the aircraft directions. The top plane is flying off the page, taking the viewer's eye with it (not good). I think if both planes were flying into the scene it would be a bit better composition. A mild criticism.

Design-wise, overall, I think it works. (thumbs u

captainamericaposterdes.jpg

Why is Hollywood so afraid to use primary colors when it comes to this sort of material these days? And the comics biz, too, for that matter? Superman's costume in that last abomination of a movie was dingy and dull (maybe Lois should switch to Tide?)...like he was perpetually covered in the soot of his own crushing angst. Spidey's outfit, too, in the Raimi movies. And now Cap. Is it because bright, bold colors look too "comic booky"? Or is it because the world is now just one big muted shade of dingy, washed-out gray, and our "heroes" thus need to be (and look) as conflicted and tortured as the whole weary planet itself?

Bleh.

I think I made this observation elsewhere, but a few years ago I was standing in a comic book store that had all the new releases racked along the walls on one side of the shop, and their Silver and Bronze Age stock racked in the same fashion (small stacks for each title) along the opposite wall. The contrast couldn't have been more striking: the new books dissolved into one long, muddy smear of brown and gray (just one long gloomy day), whereas the vintage material--with gleaming reds, yellows, blues, and many a combination thereof--really popped...bold, attention-getting, and innately appealing.

Ah, well...I guess sad revelations like this--birthed by a modern world which I understand less and less every day--are just one more step on that long and inevitable road to becoming my dad.

Why is Hollywood so afraid to use primary colors when it comes to this sort of material these days? And the comics biz, too, for that matter? Superman's costume in that last abomination of a movie was dingy and dull (maybe Lois should switch to Tide?)...like he was perpetually covered in the soot of his own crushing angst. Spidey's outfit, too, in the Raimi movies. And now Cap. Is it because bright, bold colors look too "comic booky"? Or is it because the world is now just one big muted shade of dingy, washed-out gray, and our "heroes" thus need to be (and look) as conflicted and tortured as the whole weary planet itself?

I think they refer to Batman Forever and Batman & Robin and... well...

From a design standpoint it's dull. If I were to turn this in while at art school I would fully expect a poor grade ( that's if the teacher approved the comp in the first place ). What does it really say? It's not telling me anything about the movie or making me interested to even find out more. It's a comicbook movie for cripes sake, it should be fun and interesting.

Design-wise it has that all-important "1-2-3-Read" that moves the eye around the image (with #1 being the primary subject). The nazi flag in the upper left keeps the eye from wandering off. And most important of all, it has "energy" imho.

Overall I think it's a great effort by whoever did it. Things I would change is reverse the aircraft directions. The top plane is flying off the page, taking the viewer's eye with it (not good). I think if both planes were flying into the scene it would be a bit better composition. A mild criticism.

My critique was for the real movie poster, not the one you're talking about. I really like the one you're talking about :)

My critique was for the real movie poster, not the one you're talking about. I really like the one you're talking about :)

I would have left the Skull's hat off. 2c

Commie hippie.

I always thought that Captain America must be a ComSymp back in the sixties. After all, why was he still fighting unregenerate Nazis from WWII such as the Red Skull when he should have been battling the Commies?

(shrug)

Commie hippie.

I always thought that Captain America must be a ComSymp back in the sixties. After all, why was he still fighting unregenerate Nazis from WWII such as the Red Skull when he should have been battling the Commies?

(shrug)

CAPA078001_col.jpg

Well said. This is Captain America we're talking about here... no head bowing allowed...

Surely you jest. Captain America is the single worst "hero", and I use the term loosely, ever spawned by the comic book industry. A name and costume that are jingoism personified, combined with singleminded WWII plots, buried the character beyond any hope of redemption in the early forties. Marvel's worst creative mistake was resurrecting the sap in Avengers 4. He should have been leff to chill in that iceberg for a few more centuries.

Captain America? No thanks boys. I'd rather watch, and read, Mighty Mouse than that patriotic joke.

:/

:eyeroll: ...whatever cheesehead... I like the poster~

Hmmmmm. I guess that's apropos. Cheese and crackers!

:P

captain-america-poster_510.jpg

Avenge? Really? Is that the best they could come up with?

I thought they were just copying this cover, so I am not sure why everyone so annoyed at the "teaser Poster."

You guys love to rag on movies before they come out. :makepoint:

captain-america.jpg

All apologies for complaining even more now, but they had to swipe a cover for inspiration. Sheesh. Must be nice to get paid to rip off other artists. Heroes IMHO should look to the sky for guidance and stuff, not at their package.

Dan

I thought they were just copying this cover, so I am not sure why everyone so annoyed at the "teaser Poster."

captain-america.jpg

All apologies for complaining even more now, but they had to swipe a cover for inspiration. Sheesh. Must be nice to get paid to rip off other artists. Heroes IMHO should look to the sky for guidance and stuff, not at their package.

Dan

I think mostly all movie posters are just average and just basic anyway.

Just look at The Matrix's movie poster. Great movie with a boring movie poster.

All I care about is the movie going to be fun to watch.

I can care less about the movie poster. (shrug)

captain-america.jpg

Dan

Yeah, you're right. But what would a comic book movie be without us fanboys yelling at it before it comes out? hm

Dan

captain-america.jpg

Dan

Yeah, you're right. But what would a comic book movie be without us fanboys yelling at it before it comes out? hm

Dan

If wanting a good comicbook movie that's not all just bells and whistles makes me a fanboy, so be it. I'd rather be a fanboy than a magpie or a lemming :P