• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Comments in sales threads

Ban Sales Thread Comments  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Sales Thread Comments

169 posts in this topic

As usual, by the time I comment on a thread, the topic has diverged so far from the original subject, it's practically unrecognizable. Still, if I may comment on the original subject...

I come here to talk about comic books. So, if Sufunk posts Bats #3 - first appearance of Catwoman - I just have to say something because it's in my DNA. And, when I post my books, I like having my friends stop by and post a comment letting me know that they been by. Anyway, IMHO, collecting is a fun hobby, not a business and I enjoy the comments.

Due to work, family and tennis commitments, I only am able to spend about an hour or two on the boards per day. On some weekends I have more time. As a result, I only look at sales threads in which the subject line promises something of interest. I suspect that there are others in my shoes who, due to time constraints, aren't able to wade through every page of every sales thread.

I liked the suggestion of a summary of books being offered on the first page. If only a few books (less than 2 pages?) are going to be listed, this isn't such a big deal, but for a sales thread with dozens of books please, I'm sorry sellers, I don't have the time or patience to go through 10-20 pages to see if there is a book buried in there that I want. Chances are, I'll never see that book on page 16 that you want me to know you're selling unless you are really, really good at writing subject lines.

Could we ask Architecht to put this in the guidelines as a suggestion for sales threads? Not as a requirement, of course. If you insist on people going through your whole thread to find everything in there, that is your business, just know that some potential buyers won't take the time.

Most large sales threads have recaps, often done by Decepticon (thumbs u

Honestly I would think an hour a day is more than enough to go through sales threads. Most sales thread at least give a hint of what is going to be offered. Maybe it's a bit of everything, maybe they listed all Marvel or DC titles in the title. If I am short on time when I visit the sales forums and see a sales thread that is 15 pages I always start from the back and quickly look for a recap. If after a few pages I don't see one I will just skip it, but I find most larger threads have a recap.

Unless you are constantly on the boards you will always miss out on the best deals, unless you are lucky. With the exception of very late at night or early morning sales threads,visiting a sales thread here 30 minutes after it has started is like going to a con during the last hour, all the best books are gone.

I also think most buyers have sellers on these boards judged, even if they don't know it. For example, look at Foolkillers threads, does anyone sell books on these boards quicker than him? I only skim his threads, if I didn't have time I would pass on them because high grade raw Silver-age books aren't what I collect and that is what I associate Foolkiller with. If I see a thread started by Pointfive or RyanH, now I am very interested. They have similar collecting interests as myself, plus they are not dealers so there is a better chance of finding nice seldom offered for sale Golden-age books in their threads. Ed I love to pick up my low grade reader Dells from, he has them priced to sell and know that Overstreets prices on most issues are ridiculous.

There are also some sellers who I associate with very high prices. If I am going to pay Metro like prices the books you are listing mustn't come up for sale that often or be very high on my want-list. I notice these sellers sell very few of their books on these boards.

I think you can do very well picking up books for your collection with only spending an hour a day checking out sales threads after being on the boards a while, which you have been. Of course you won't get a lot of the killer deals, but you can still pick up many nice books at FMV, and it is not uncommon to see really nice books sit for a day or two before being snatched up, even the sharks run out of money sometimes.

I think Architect should chain Decepticon to a computer, where the only way he is fed or allowed to use his bedpan, is if he continues his perpetual and amazing sale recaps! :whistle:

:roflmao:

Ken really should be paid. Maybe by a nebulous non-profit organization for the work he does. Many of us probably don't think twice about what he's doing, but what he does is downright unusual--and inarguably charitable. :whee:

but what he does is downright unusual--and inarguably charitable. :whee:

Don't forget amazingly organized and effective. When he summarized the Clooneython thread, I couldn't believe he pulled it together. That alone should have earned him a spot in the "You made sense of this bomb blast of a thread - WOW" hall of fame.

(worship)

Not to say Clooneython wasn't fun to observe.

george_clooney.jpg

I liked the suggestion of a summary of books being offered on the first page.

I think it's great when sellers do that...it's a real timesaver. I can understand that certain sellers want to keep prospective buyers on their toes by holding back a few books for several pages as a surprise, but really it would be so much better if there was a list of what's to come in the first post.

Secondly the format of most of the selling threads makes them un-readable far more than any commenting/banter that happens.

Sellers please post everything for sale in the first post and then start adding in scans in the following posts. Not being able to see everything that is for sale until you scroll through every single post is annoying..especially when you add in the dozens of quotes with the image in them of people commenting on the book.

I agree with this suggestion. I don't understand why this is not obvious to the seller to list in a tabular format everything you will be selling.

It is a great idea, especially if you have lots of books to offer.

One of problems is that the forum is constantly evolving.

I remember the days when we had only one selling forum, not several (sig series, OA, and 3 for comics alone) the page 1 real estate wouldn't change for days sometimes.

Hardly ever saw any really big books and volume was relatively low. Now that we have a lot more members, the front page is often full of new stuff within a few hours.

Obviously, as the landscape changes around sellers will need to adapt.

(thumbs u

I liked the suggestion of a summary of books being offered on the first page.

I think it's great when sellers do that...it's a real timesaver. I can understand that certain sellers want to keep prospective buyers on their toes by holding back a few books for several pages as a surprise, but really it would be so much better if there was a list of what's to come in the first post.

+1...... or at least type in the title issue and price at the top of each post so that those of us with dial up don't wait 6 hours for the images to upload only to find a bunch of stuff we're not interested in :shy: .GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

but what he does is downright unusual--and inarguably charitable. :whee:

Don't forget amazingly organized and effective. When he summarized the Clooneython thread, I couldn't believe he pulled it together. That alone should have earned him a spot in the "You made sense of this bomb blast of a thread - WOW" hall of fame.

(worship)

Not to say Clooneython wasn't fun to observe.

george_clooney.jpg

(worship) x ... infinity at the speed of light with the volume knob turned to like 11 !