• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG: Dawn of the Dead

176 posts in this topic

It certainly sounds like you have some inside information. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I do know that as of last weekend's show, CGC now has examples of CGG holders and evidence that their patents have been violated... all the proof that they need to initiate something legally against CGG.

I don't know when, where or how they do so.

Kev

I do know that as of last weekend's show, CGC now has examples of CGG holders and evidence that their patents have been violated... all the proof that they need to initiate something legally against CGG.

I don't know when, where or how they do so.

Kev

shocked.gifnews.gifshocked.gif

YES I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THEY DO HAVE PATENTS ON THE HOLDER AND WELL DESIGN.

What CGG haven't copied is the material the holder is made of.

Kev

Hey Kev

For what its worth, patents don't mean a darned thing unless you are willing to fight it out in the courts, and even then, there are NO gurantees you will have any success in challenging a case on the grounds of infringement.

This should not be taken to mean that companies should not enforce their patents against cases of infringement. In the case of CGG, I'm not too sure about the extent of similarity between the hard-platic encasement, or material used for their inner-well, and how it all relates back to CGC's patent on their holder.

It did however concern me greatly when I first saw the CGG product. Not because of their early approach to encapsulating their comics (grading comics in the CGC equivalent of an inner-well). Not even because they might be a viable competitor. The thing that bothered me most (and I'm sure CGC too) is the level in which they were attempting brand confusion with their product/service offerings. If you looked at their early labels, they looked very similar to the CGC label. The flimsy inner-well looked like a CGC'd book that had its case cracked, and someone was trying to sell its remains. After having owned a CGC slab, CGG's early attempt at grading appeared ridiculous.

Here is the biggest problem with patents. Even though you have a patent, it could take years to challenge the grounds of infringement in the court of law. By then, the copycat company could have done a considerable amount of damage during this time, by virtue of competing with a clearly inferior product that closely resembles one of an established quality and excellence, and in essence, destroying the OVERALL perception towards third-party comic book grading. The brand confusion element to this entire argument is one which may potentially translate into collectors identifying with the CGG product, and the CGC product as one and the same. We all know the difference, but we cannot assume everyone else does.

What about 3pg?

I don't have an opinion on 3PG because I haven't seen a book graded by them yet, looked at their website or generally heard anything more about them and their decision to grade comics... have they started?

I'll take a look online to see what I can find.

Kev

insightful information, comicwiz. Based on that:

< 3 months if CGG doesn't fight the suit, OR

> 2 years if they do fight it and have the financial resources to do so, OR

~1 year if they do fight and go bankrupt in the process.

popcorn.gif

© Copyright, BOC 2004

Looking over 3PG's site the process seems somewhat similar to CGC's but they seem to have avoided CGG's mistakes by coming up with their own method of grading and writing their own text (rather than copying and pasting CGC's and changing a word here or there).

As for the 3PG holder, they seem to have at least a more unique label than CGG's obvious CGC knock off label. They are using a mylar holder, but I can't tell whether or not it is a hard shell with an inner well or if it is merely a mylar holder that has been sealed.

I don't know who they are, or whether they have any qualifications at all, but they seem to have learned somewhat from CGG's mistakes.

www.3pgrading.com

Kev

Well Joe, I'm sure that patents plus other infringements would be enough to encourage CGC to initiate legal action, if they and their lawyers feel that it is worthwhile to do.

If they do, as others have suggested, they have the long term upper hand on little CGG if it was a lengthy legal fight, and they could continue to appeal if they received a negative on their patent rights, which may or not happen - they won't know until they are before the court. Either that or CGG would end up having to pay CGC for use of their patented designs.

Kev

Well Joe, I'm sure that patents plus other infringements would be enough to encourage CGC to initiate legal action, if they and their lawyers feel that it is worthwhile to do.

If they do, as others have suggested, they have the long term upper hand on little CGG if it was a lengthy legal fight, and they could continue to appeal if they received a negative on their patent rights, which may or not happen - they won't know until they are before the court. Either that or CGG would end up having to pay CGC for use of their patented designs.

Kev

Kev

Have you ever held a CGG slab and look at it?

CGG case is better the CGC they improved on CGC case, just like Lexus and BMW.

RS

Kev

Have you ever held a CGG slab and look at it?

CGG case is better the CGC they improved on CGC case, just like Lexus and BMW.

RS

I have, and I am at a loss when you said improved on the CGC case. If by "improved", you mean "copied", then you are indeed correct. If by "better", you mean "the same", then indeed you are also correct. If not, then you are just dumb.

Good points Joseph. The thing is, if CGC brings the lawsuit hammer down, will CGG take the time & money to fight it? IMHO, I doubt it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's possible BOC; but the fact is CGG is knee-deep in it now. gossip.gif