• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG: Dawn of the Dead

176 posts in this topic

I think CGC should buy CGG and use them to help grade books. Cut the country in to two halves west of the Mississippi send to Oregon and east of the Mississippi to Florida. I do like CGG holder little better. A merger would be good.

27_laughing.gif

FF

I am not saying you. Your posts are backed with facts not just happiness in seeing CGG take a hit. This can make CGC the only one to slab comics CGG and 3pg would have to stop. Then the wait time will be 100 business days for moderns and 6 months for economy.

I think CGC should buy CGG and use them to help grade books. Cut the country in to two halves west of the Mississippi send to Oregon and east of the Mississippi to Florida. I do like CGG holder little better. A merger would be good.

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif That is about the most asinine thing I have heard on these boards in a loooooong time! 27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif That is about the most asinine thing I have heard on these boards in a loooooong time! 27_laughing.gif

OMFG, how freaking ridiculous! Just when you think you've heard it all from these CGG Lapdogs. Here it is again:

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

As a CGG 8.5 Daredevil #1 was auctioned on Ebay today for $2500, it seems to me that to start ringing the death-knell for CGG may be premature.

In the 10 separate instances on GP analysis where a CGC 8.5 Daredevil #1 was auctioned, only one sale, in October 2002, was for more than this $2500 amount!!

This book just missed being the world record holder for the sale price of a graded 8.5, and it was CGGed!! 893whatthe.gif

Well, S.Borock said they need more graders.... 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Hey, personally I think CGCCGG Inc. sounds great! 27_laughing.gif

RS, I am really worried about you! When was the last time you had a complete physical? I think you need to get ready to pee in the cup!

As a CGG 8.5 Daredevil #1 was auctioned on Ebay today for $2500, it seems to me that to start ringing the death-knell for CGG may be premature.

In the 10 separate instances on GP analysis where a CGC 8.5 Daredevil #1 was auctioned, only one sale, in October 2002, was for more than this $2500 amount!!

This book just missed being the world record holder for the sale price of a graded 8.5, and it was CGGed!! 893whatthe.gif

....and what will happen when that owner cracks the slab on that CGG 8.5, submits it to CGC and it comes back a 9.0? Will he have overpaid then?

....or what will happen when that owner cracks the slab on that CGG 8.5, submits it to CGC and it comes back restored or trimmed or both? was it worth it?

I think we may be getting away from one basic concept. The holders are designed to fit comics. Look at baseball card slabs. There arer dozens of card grading services yet all the holders are:

approx the same size, give or take a millimeter

sealed almost the same way, in about the same place

about the same weight and materials used

so similar in fact from service to service that if you removed the labels magically from inside the holders, you'd have a hard time telling any of them apart!

Those holders are designed to fit baseball cards so the same general shape, form, and function must be applied to all holders. It wouldn't make sense at all for one company to take a drastic departure from what works best. The label is what identifies the grading service in most cases.

I would think that is true with comics. It wouldn't make sense for someone to design a holder twice the size, that seals in a place other than around the edges, etc. etc. All the holders are pretty much going to be very similar from company to company, hobby to hobby. It's logical.

I think we may be getting away from one basic concept. The holders are designed to fit comics. Look at baseball card slabs. There arer dozens of card grading services yet all the holders are:

approx the same size, give or take a millimeter

sealed almost the same way, in about the same place

about the same weight and materials used

so similar in fact from service to service that if you removed the labels magically from inside the holders, you'd have a hard time telling any of them apart!

Those holders are designed to fit baseball cards so the same general shape, form, and function must be applied to all holders. It wouldn't make sense at all for one company to take a drastic departure from what works best. The label is what identifies the grading service in most cases.

I would think that is true with comics. It wouldn't make sense for someone to design a holder twice the size, that seals in a place other than around the edges, etc. etc. All the holders are pretty much going to be very similar from company to company, hobby to hobby. It's logical.

Have you held a 3PG holder in your hands? You do that and come back here and declare that it's the same as CGC's holder. 893naughty-thumb.gif

....and what will happen when that owner cracks the slab on that CGG 8.5, submits it to CGC and it comes back a 9.0? Will he have overpaid then?

....or what will happen when that owner cracks the slab on that CGG 8.5, submits it to CGC and it comes back restored or trimmed or both? was it worth it?

No idea. The third possibility is that like most buyers on graded material, it stays slabbed, along with possibly a false sense of security, 4-ever! I just thought it interesting that this CGG #1 brought a CGC-like #1 price.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on it, but as I am Forum-informed, when the bid went over $1600 I felt that the risk factors outweighed the possible plusses.

No idea. The third possibility is that like most buyers on graded material, it stays slabbed, along with possibly a false sense of security, 4-ever! I just thought it interesting that this CGG #1 brought a CGC-like #1 price.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on it, but as I am Forum-informed, when the bid went over $1600 I felt that the risk factors outweighed the possible plusses.

I highly doubt that the owner will leave the book in the CGG holder. I could be wrong, but if there was the slightest chance either scenario I mentioned existed, I would want to know.

RS, I am really worried about you! When was the last time you had a complete physical? I think you need to get ready to pee in the cup!

Redhook, you don't know the half of it!

pee.gif

sign-funnypost.gif LMAO

Have you held a 3PG holder in your hands? You do that and come back here and declare that it's the same as CGC's holder.

Never held one. Haven't had the pleasure or opportunity. Is it made out of wood? Is it in the shape of a comic (since it's function is to hold a comic securely) or is it pentagonal instead of rectangular? Is there a label or is the grading info just etched into the wood with a scratch awl? Have there been a large degree of drastic departures taken by 3PG to insure that there is nothing similar to any other holder used by grading companies to securely slab comics?

Look at clothes momentarily. If a new company starts manufacturing dress shirts, they are not going to have to stitch the shoulder seams 1/2 inch lower than any other shirt manufacturer has ever done before, nor are they going to have to sew them with some kind of exotic stitch that has never been used in the manufacture of shirts before. That would be cumbersome, the shirt binding and bunching up in the wearing because the shirts are designed to fit our forms. You'd never see a company suing another for copyright infringement because two different shirt manufacturers constructed their dress shirts from the same basic pattern that is a standard shirt pattern. They sue over labels, cloned names, and graphic design infringements, not because one basic white dress shirt made of cotton looks like another basic white dress shirt made of cotton.

IBM, Fuji, Memorex, etc. all put out floppy disks. They must fit a form because your PC dictates it. Without the labels, they all look identical. More infringement?

Never held one. Haven't had the pleasure or opportunity. Is it made out of wood? Is it in the shape of a comic (since it's function is to hold a comic securely) or is it pentagonal instead of rectangular? Is there a label or is the grading info just etched into the wood with a scratch awl? Have there been a large degree of drastic departures taken by 3PG to insure that there is nothing similar to any other holder used by grading companies to securely slab comics?

AP, this whole paragraph is childish. I expected more of a discussion. You started making a blanket statement that holders would have to be similar in order to fit the book. I pointed out to you that 3PG makes a comic holder that is totally different from CGG's holder. The only similarity might be the dimensions.

Look at clothes momentarily. If a new company starts manufacturing dress shirts, they are not going to have to stitch the shoulder seams 1/2 inch lower than any other shirt manufacturer has ever done before, nor are they going to have to sew them with some kind of exotic stitch that has never been used in the manufacture of shirts before. That would be cumbersome, the shirt binding and bunching up in the wearing because the shirts are designed to fit our forms. You'd never see a company suing another for copyright infringement because two different shirt manufacturers constructed their dress shirts from the same basic pattern that is a standard shirt pattern. They sue over labels, cloned names, and graphic design infringements, not because one basic white dress shirt made of cotton looks like another basic white dress shirt made of cotton.

IBM, Fuji, Memorex, etc. all put out floppy disks. They must fit a form because your PC dictates it. Without the labels, they all look identical. More infringement?

Another childish attempt to make a point. Clothes are not patented items, CGG's holder is. As far as floppy disks go, again I do not know if there is a patent on such, however if there were that company that owns the patent might charge a license fee for others to produce them.

but the test isn't exact duplication...

What's the test?

3PG's case looks really different, but I agree that it looks like CGG is at great risk. The fact that the case has the EXACT same dimensions and has stacking grooves that are precisely compatible with CGC's case probably wouldn't go over well for them with a judge either--it's obvious they created a product to be exactly like CGC's. As a consumer, I guess I appreciate that a little bit since you can easily stack CGC and CGG cases together, but I doubt CGC is quite so thrilled about the compatibility.

I bet they sit on a suit until CGG becomes a real threat.

Maybe there thinking[CGC's) is they wont last so why waste the time and money!

Davidking623

They have to have violated the entire claim (either literally, or all of the essential elements), not just individual elements of it. Just to be clear.

Link to the CGC Patent

It seems to me like they've covered all aspects of the plastic comic holdering sytem. It appears as FBB indicated, the only thing CGC needs to prove is that one of the claims under their patent is being infringed upon (ie. confirm the material used for the CGG inner-well) and they have grounds to pursue an infringement case.