• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Picked up a cool autobiography at Second and Charles ... it was even autographed. The title is "My American Journey" by Colin Powell. It's fast becoming one of my favorite books in a long time, but I still have a ways to go to finish. It's a real success story for our troubled times. This is the type of story that I would LOVE see turned into a nice mini-series. Powell was born to Jamaican immigrants in 1937 Harlem New York and rose all the way to 4 Star General, and was National Security Advisor to Reagan and Secretary of State in the Bush Administration. His sense of humor is very sharp .... HIGHLY recommended .... GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Just finished another Steve Berry thriller, an author recommended to me by Sharon(skypinkblu) that never disappoints. This one is titled "The Kaiser's Web" and deals with Hitler's Bounty, among other things. GOD BLESS... 

Re-reading "Blue Highways", by William Least Heat Moon, published in 1982.  One of the greatest 'road' books ever written, it's getting me revved up for summertime, plus it's an uplifting look at the depth and breadth of the American spirit, the small towns all over the country, and the salt-of-the-earth people who live in them.

I just finished “Between Ape and Human: An Anthropologist on the Trail of a Hidden Hominoid” by Dr. Gregory Forth. He reviews the fossil record of floresiensis, the human-like but hobbit-sized creatures who lived on the Indonesian island of Flores, and then compares that  species to the ape-men described as living in the island’s mountains today by the indigenous Lio people. No smoking gun, but an interesting tour through circumstantial evidence.

I’ve since turned to “The Ascent of Rum Doodle” by W.E. Bowman, which Bill Bryson has called “the funniest book ever written.” Well, the joke’s on us, as the book is very “meh” and Bryson’s introduction is the funniest thing about it…

On 4/11/2023 at 3:44 AM, jimjum12 said:

Just finished another Steve Berry thriller, an author recommended to me by Sharon(skypinkblu) that never disappoints. This one is titled "The Kaiser's Web" and deals with Hitler's Bounty, among other things. GOD BLESS... 

I'm going to have to find that one, Jim...I just finished the latest Ophan X book, "The Last Orphan" and before that..."The Cabinet of Dr Leng" ...the series about Pendergast by Preston and Childs that you recommended to me...very addictive.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, skypinkblu said:

.I just finished the latest Ophan X book, "The Last Orphan"

I just got done with it. I'm glad I read it, but, imo, it wasn't as good as the others in the series.

Edit: Scott Brick really does it for me as a narrator. I loved his narration of The Passage trilogy.

Edited by Gaard

Just finished Preston and Child's "Diablo Mesa" , another Nora Brown/ Corrie Swanson thriller. It revolves around an archaeological dig of the 1947 Roswell site with a little Groome Lake action .... VERY riveting ... GOD BLESS ... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/22/2023 at 10:07 AM, conan09279 said:

Has anyone ever read F. Paul Wilson?  His Adversary Cycle and Repairman Jack series are some of the best stories I’ve read in a long time. I never heard of him until someone recommended the Keep, and then I became hooked.

I'm a Library/ DAV type of reader. I've seen Repairman Jack but haven't tried one yet. GOD BLESS ... 

Speaking of D.A.V., my most recent book was a find from there. There were no editions that I hadn't already read from my old standbys, so I was forced to try something new. 

A book by Jorgen Brekke caught my eye, "Where Monsters Dwell" , a two Continenl murder mystery, between Trondheim, Norway to Richmond Virginia, and the Poe Museum of all places. How bad could it be ? I'd try another book by this guy. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/17/2023 at 6:55 PM, Cushing Fan said:

My summer reading now that I'm done teaching for the school year. 

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I love that one... maybe more than The Call of Cthulu.

GOD BLESS ...

On 4/11/2023 at 9:07 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

All the Pretty Horses.

No Country for Old Men

Finished All the Pretty Horses, The Orchard Keeper, and Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West.

Rereading all of Cormac McCarthy's works. I do so every decade or so.

Lastly, rest in peace Mr. McCarthy.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:27 PM, Cephusdog said:

image.png.42f60d3ec2efef5b313c007083711d3a.png

Read the trilogy as a child and a friend gifted me this book with 3 more stories I didn't know she had written. I'm enjoying revisiting the tales with the eye of an adult.

That's a beautiful edition. GOD BLESS ... 

Just finished Out Killing Indians by Rick Steber. It was very good - did not end where the book was leading me.

Now reading Recovering insufficiently_thoughtful_person by Ben Casper. Apparently, there is no recovery part.