• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Tolkien might have had the right idea about not delving farther into LOTR but I have to say, its not a trilogy of books I will ever revisit. I'd rather watch the movies.

I actually prefer the first three Wheel of Time books to LOTR (I know, heresy), but Tolkien's work, like it or not, is just so superior in terms of length and structure. I feel like a lot of "epic" fantasy is written without a clear outline, or even a definite end in mind. The writers just seem to make it all up as they go along, or maybe it's all just a cash grab with word padding to sell more units once the series proves to be a success. Either way it makes for lousy story telling. I wish more authors could exercise the same restraint as Tolkien, the genre would be all the better for it.

Having watched a lot of "Sherlock" and "Elementary" on TV of late, I read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novel "The Valley of Fear" last month and just finished Max Allan Collins' crime novel "The First Quarry", about his enigmatic hit man's first assignment (I had read "The Last Quarry" some time ago). I'm currently reading "Quarry in the Middle", also by Collins.

Tolkien might have had the right idea about not delving farther into LOTR but I have to say, its not a trilogy of books I will ever revisit. I'd rather watch the movies.

I actually prefer the first three Wheel of Time books to LOTR (I know, heresy), but Tolkien's work, like it or not, is just so superior in terms of length and structure. I feel like a lot of "epic" fantasy is written without a clear outline, or even a definite end in mind. The writers just seem to make it all up as they go along, or maybe it's all just a cash grab with word padding to sell more units once the series proves to be a success. Either way it makes for lousy story telling. I wish more authors could exercise the same restraint as Tolkien, the genre would be all the better for it.

Perhaps but I still plan on picking up the last Wheel of Time book this week!

Finishing up Stephen King's Salem's Lot.

Looking for another King book to read next.

If you haven't all ready read them. Check out the King

and Straub collaboration - The Talisman or start on the

The Dark Tower / Gunslingers series. All great reads!!!

I agree except for one book, "Wizard and Glass"... overly long and incredibly boring. Waste Land was excellent and Wolves of the Calla that followed but I really struggled to finish book 4. Really struggled.

I hadn't read a King book in years but on a whim picked up his time travel book about the Kennedy assassination....loved it!

There was a tv-series I found surprisingly entertaining called "The Seeker".

Watched both seasons and really enjoyed the characters of Richard, Kahlan and Zeddicus, thought I'd check out the source material...

Reading "Wizards First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. Weighs in at a whopping 700+ pages, but 100 pages in and it's smooth enough. I fall right in to the story, just what I wanted. :cloud9:

Wizards_first_rule.jpg

Over the Christmas / New Year's break I re-discovered Martin Cruz Smith of Gorky Park fame. He's a terrific writer whose prose far surpasses the typical murder - mystery - police procedural stuff. Just finished Wolves Eat Dogs, a Renko mystery set in post-Chernobyl Chernobyl, and Rose, which is a departure from his Renko series set in Industrial Revolutio-era Britain. Both recommended.

I'd like to read The Road to Woodbury and The Rise of the Governor. Has anyone read them, are they any good?

I HIGHLY recommend both. I don't know if or how they will tie into the series, but they're just great WD reads.

Edited by Sulphur Server

I just finished 'And the Saw the Angel' by Nick Cave. I didn't like it.

None of the characters are likeable and the main character's narration while amusing at first became painful and lababrious to read after 200 pages of repitive sentences loaded with adjective after adjective.

Also the amount of gratuitous violenece desensitized me so that by the time of the dénouement it was expected and lacking any shock value.

Edited by The-Collector