• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I'd like to read The Road to Woodbury and The Rise of the Governor. Has anyone read them, are they any good?

I HIGHLY recommend both. I don't know if or how they will tie into the series, but they're just great WD reads.

I read The Rise of the Governor, and I enjoyed it, as well.

I'd like to read The Road to Woodbury and The Rise of the Governor. Has anyone read them, are they any good?

I HIGHLY recommend both. I don't know if or how they will tie into the series, but they're just great WD reads.

I read The Rise of the Governor, and I enjoyed it, as well.

The second book is being offered in the Pay it Forward thread!

I've been reading a book by Sean Pronger called Journeyman. It is about his career as a NHL players and how he "makes it." I have really been enjoying his take on the NHL and on seeing things from the not so glamourous side of the sport.

I'd recommend it to any hockey fans. I think my wife had a hard time finding it in the states and she had to have it shipped from Amazon Canada though.

Finished "Quarry in the Middle" a couple of days ago and just started on "Ripper" by Stefan Petrucha (who wrote the "X-Files" comic book in the '90s). I'm only a few chapters in, but it looks like it's about an orphan in 1895 NYC who discovers that his dad may be both alive and Jack the Ripper. :eek:

There was a tv-series I found surprisingly entertaining called "The Seeker".

Watched both seasons and really enjoyed the characters of Richard, Kahlan and Zeddicus, thought I'd check out the source material...

Reading "Wizards First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. Weighs in at a whopping 700+ pages, but 100 pages in and it's smooth enough. I fall right in to the story, just what I wanted. :cloud9:

Wizards_first_rule.jpg

My all time favorite series. Much better than the tv series, I think. But then I read the books then watched the show not the other way around. I'm interested to see if you still enjoy the books.

What do you guys think of quitting halfway through a book?

I'm reading a big book (1200+) and I'm really considering dropping it on page 700. It's not that it is bad, it's just that I'm burned out I guess...

What do you guys think of quitting halfway through a book?

I'm reading a big book (1200+) and I'm really considering dropping it on page 700. It's not that it is bad, it's just that I'm burned out I guess...

The second half may be the best bit.

Finished "Ripper" (a fun read - wouldn't be surprised if they make a film of it as it has a very cinematic feel to it) and have now gone back to another "Hard Case Crime" novel - "Bust" by Ken Gruen and Jason Starr about a man who hires a hitman to bump off his wife, not knowing that the hitman is conniving with his mistress to double-cross him. I'm halfway through it and am enjoying the noir-ish feel tinged with dark humor as well. Definitely a fun read.

have now gone back to another "Hard Case Crime" novel - "Bust" by Ken Gruen and Jason Starr about a man who hires a hitman to bump off his wife, not knowing that the hitman is conniving with his mistress to double-cross him. I'm halfway through it and am enjoying the noir-ish feel tinged with dark humor as well. Definitely a fun read.

Finished "Bust" and would definitely recommend it. I liked it so much that now I'm reading the sequel to it - "Slide", also by Ken Gruen and Jason Starr. It's another darkly humorous crime novel (a bit Tarantino-esque I'd say as well) featuring the same cast as "Bust", but this time it's even more absurdly over-the-top and much more overtly laugh-out-loud funny than the first go-around. I'm only a couple of chapters away from finishing it and would highly, highly recommend it (though you'll have to read "Bust" first to truly "get it").

I've got the 3rd book in the series ("The Max") all lined up to go after I finish "Slide" today. I'm really enjoying these "Hard Case Crime" novels a lot more than any comics I've read lately; I'd highly recommend them.

have now gone back to another "Hard Case Crime" novel - "Bust" by Ken Gruen and Jason Starr about a man who hires a hitman to bump off his wife, not knowing that the hitman is conniving with his mistress to double-cross him. I'm halfway through it and am enjoying the noir-ish feel tinged with dark humor as well. Definitely a fun read.

Finished "Bust" and would definitely recommend it. I liked it so much that now I'm reading the sequel to it - "Slide", also by Ken Gruen and Jason Starr. It's another darkly humorous crime novel (a bit Tarantino-esque I'd say as well) featuring the same cast as "Bust", but this time it's even more absurdly over-the-top and much more overtly laugh-out-loud funny than the first go-around. I'm only a couple of chapters away from finishing it and would highly, highly recommend it (though you'll have to read "Bust" first to truly "get it").

I've got the 3rd book in the series ("The Max") all lined up to go after I finish "Slide" today. I'm really enjoying these "Hard Case Crime" novels a lot more than any comics I've read lately; I'd highly recommend them.

(thumbs u - i've read nearly all the Hard Case books; one sleeper from a guy i'd never heard of but really enjoyed was Dutch Uncle by Peter Pavia

And while we're talking Trilogy's I just read the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry again. Literary crack of the highest order.

Others worth mentioning:

- The Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson.

- The Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey

- Agent Pendergast by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.

- The Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry.

- The Felix Castor books by Mike Carey

Just finished the first Repairman Jack book "The Tomb". Very entertaining read. Thanks for the recommendation Mark. (thumbs u

About to start "Ender's Game" before continuing with the next Repairman Jack book.

Finally going to read Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

I'm really hoping this will be another case of "the book being far better than the film".

I'm a little worried it may move slowly like some of his other work. I'm not sure how

the writing responsibilities were divided between King and Straub in The Talisman,

but I always thought Straub's writing was mostly in the beginning- which I felt moved

too slowly- and King took over when Jack's journey began- which I felt is when the

story took off.

Since November I've been on a helluva Stephen King kick.

Read Salem's Lot, followed by The Shinning followed by Misery then Night Shift then The Long Walk (the only one I didn't like).

Reading Different Season's now.

Edited by Erndog

The Tomb, Ender's Game, Ghost Story and Salem's Lot are all awesome. Some good reading in the last few posts! Just picked up the last Repairman Jack book in the series, but he is apparently doing a few prequels to fill in some backstory. Sad to see it end.

Just finished Cavalier and Clay, which was quite good but I felt it dragged in parts. The writing was beautiful though. Also just finished Killer Stuff and Tons of Money (a re-read). Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in the antiques or collectibles business.

Started The Financial Lives of Poets the other day and it's a page turner, keeping with the recent rash of financial meltdown/mid-life crisis meets drug-dealing themes that have hit recently. Also started the first Dragonlance book as a nice retro fantasy break.