• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

May I never see the movies.

The only exposure I have had to the franchise is the Fincher remake. I thought it was pretty good. I hear the Swedish original is even better.

I think Fincher did a good job with the film and his stylistic imprint (similar to The Social Network) is very intriguing from a filmmaking point of view. Fincher is a star.

As to the book I guess I will have ot read it so I can really comment on its style/substance.

According to the wiki:

"When Larsson was 15 years old, he witnessed the gang rape of a girl, which led to his lifelong abhorrence of violence and abuse against women. The author never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, which inspired the themes of sexual violence against women in his books."

I am not for or against the depiction of graphic rape in books but can understand why it is very off putting for many readers. I will have to make my own decision whether or not how explicit the stuff is fits in with the world of the story. (although the scenes in the film were somewhat explicit, I did not think they were there just for shocks sake. They fit into the world of the story.)

I am fascinated with the publication history of the book and saddened that the guy died, especially since he had 10 volumes planned.

The story certainly has captured a large part of the reading world's psyche, regardless of whether you think its trash or literature. I am intrigued by the psychology of that alone.

I will read the trilogy whenever I can track down an affordable 1st printing of The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Mara Rooney did a good job as Lisbeth in the Fincher film. I hear the swedish actress (who was eventually in sherlock holmes 2) was even better.

I bet the movies are good, Neil. The book was rather good. Complex with memorable & convincing characters.

Really trashy, too.

The level of interest in the book (& movies) became such that I needed to read it in order to be a proper cultural observer from my basement.

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion by David Hume and The Jewish State by Theodor Herzl

Hume's writing is great he fits so much content in a single line.

Herzl is interesting because I am largely ignorant of Jewish ideas/culture.

Edited by The-Collector

Finishing up Stephen King's Salem's Lot.

Looking for another King book to read next.

If you haven't all ready read them. Check out the King

and Straub collaboration - The Talisman or start on the

The Dark Tower / Gunslingers series. All great reads!!!

The level of interest in the book (& movies) became such that I needed to read it in order to be a proper cultural observer from my basement.

That's EXACTLY the reason I bought all 3 books. But reading all 3 in the space of 2 weeks? That was because they were as addictive as all get out. I could not put them down. As far as trilogy's go this is up there with Guillermo Del Toro's "Strain Trilogy" which I also just finished this year. THE definitive mdern vampire novel. Like CSI meets The Stand meets Necroscope.

And while we're talking Trilogy's I just read the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry again. Literary crack of the highest order.

Others worth mentioning:

- The Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson.

- The Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey

- Agent Pendergast by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.

- The Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry.

- The Felix Castor books by Mike Carey

Last year I got a good friend hooked on the Repairman Jack books and his wife called me while he was reading the 6th book and asked me if she was ever going to get laid again. I told her she better stock up on batteries because there's 15 books in the series.

The kicker? Last year I got her hooked on the Pendergast books and my good buddy has been spending a lot of time renting Shane's World videos....

I am happy to share. I have a lot of these in paperback that I've bought so that I can share with friends (that's you :gossip: ) So if any of the above books interest you send me a PM and we'll see if I can get something in your hands to read over the Holidays (thumbs u

That's EXACTLY the reason I bought all 3 books. But reading all 3 in the space of 2 weeks? That was because they were as addictive as all get out. I could not put them down. As far as trilogy's go this is up there with Guillermo Del Toro's "Strain Trilogy" which I also just finished this year. THE definitive mdern vampire novel. Like CSI meets The Stand meets Necroscope.

And while we're talking Trilogy's I just read the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry again. Literary crack of the highest order.

Others worth mentioning:

- The Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson.

- Agent Pendergast by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.

- The Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry.

- The Felix Castor books by Mike Carey

Last year I got a good friend hooked on the Repairman Jack books and his wife called me while he was reading the 6th book and asked me if she was ever going to get laid again. I told her she better stock up on batteries because there's 15 books in the series.

The kicker? Last year I got her hooked on the Pendergast books and my good buddy has been spending a lot of time renting Shane's World videos....

I am happy to share. I have a lot of these in paperback that I've bought so that I can share with friends (that's you :gossip: ) So if any of the above books interest you send me a PM and we'll see if I can get something in your hands to read over the Holidays (thumbs u

Seconding the Sandman Slim series... with the exception of the latest (4th, I believe) installment "Devil Said Bang" Maybe it just isn't clicking with me, but after 3 reads, I'm beginning to think it really just is gawd awful :cry:

Others worth mentioning:

Seconding the Sandman Slim series... with the exception of the latest (4th, I believe) installment "Devil Said Bang" Maybe it just isn't clicking with me, but after 3 reads, I'm beginning to think it really just is gawd awful :cry:

Oh man :P I'm about 150 pages into "Aloha From Hell" so "Devil Said Bang" is next. That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsment.

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

I wish I had never read that book, so I could go back and read it again for the first time. Anyone who grew up in the late 70s or early 80s flat out needs to get it. So good.

Right now I am working my way through DarkMarket, an account of how credit card crackers/hackers made millions of dollars with cutting edge cybercrime. Also reading The Monster Show, an overview of horror in cinema, and Cavalier and Clay, because I couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror anymore as a comic collector who hadn't read it.