• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished reading Animal Farm.

My 16 year old son has been trying to get me to read A World Without End but I'm hesitant to start a giant book while I'm in reporting season to the Feds and taking more courses for work.

I'm currently a little more than halfway through Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who Play It by David M. Ewalt. As a former D&D nut from roughly 5th grade to 9th grade, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. :banana:

I read that in the Fall. Very quick and entertaining read for fallen D&D players. Time well spent reminiscing.

Am halfway through Sharpe's Havoc, the 7th Sharpe novel (chronologically in Sharpe's life).

I read that in the Fall. Very quick and entertaining read for fallen D&D players. Time well spent reminiscing.

Would it be interesting to someone like me, from a cultural/historical POV, whose only D&D experience is video games?

I recently finished a class for a professional license that was taking up 100% of my time. I was reading blueprints and building code manuals non stop, now I'm taking a break from reading. Haven't even read a comic so far this month.

Would it be interesting to someone like me, from a cultural/historical POV, whose only D&D experience is video games?

I believe so b/c the authors also get into the general history of role playing games and war gaming from whence they originated as well as the "corporate" history of TSR as it relates to the personality of its founders. So, it's not a Knights of the Dinner Table format but paint a larger landscape. A fast read at any rate. As a bonus, IIRC, he makes fun of LARPers!

This thread is awesome by definition, since it has been started by Jim! :whee:

I am trying to read too many books at once, mostly essays, and I end up reading just bits of them – I must willingly stop jumping across them!

:makepoint:

One is this one from 1959 – it does not exist in english as it’s more closely related to italian history, although not merely on Italy per se:

http://books.google.it/books?id=UmIwAAAAYAAJ&q=subject:%22Societ%C3%A0+della+giovent%C3%B9+cattolica+italiana%22&dq=subject:%22Societ%C3%A0+della+giovent%C3%B9+cattolica+italiana%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZWhEU67bBu714QSDsoGQDQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA

Started reading fire and water, sub-mariner and the birth of marvel comics last night (v-day gift). Think i polished off about 75 pages so far.

How’s that? I would love to read it, I loved the parts where Jim Steranko speaks of the early Timely heroes in his "History of Comics"… :)

I got a Kobo Paperwhite as a free bonus with a phone and I have been reading a lot more as a result. Award-winning novels, Jack Reacher books, techno-thrillers, detective noir, Dave Robicheaux books, and even some funny book novels.

One of those I *really* liked was the first short story in the Masked collection. The backstory is yet another play on the Superman-Doomsday-style archetype, but it has a fun lead character with a gruesome twist, and some surprisingly good writing throughout. The story works because it ends the only way it could, but without telegraphing this from the beginning.

It had me at at the first paragraph:

Cleansed and Set in Gold

I’m on the ground, trying to breathe through a chest full of broken ribs. The only reason I’m still alive is because I happen to be invisible at the moment. Verlaine is dead. His body is twitching, trying to patch itself up, but the thing that killed him is chewing on his heart, its long tongue flicking. I can hear Verlaine’s fingernails scratching against the rocks.

We all thought Verlaine was immortal. He wasn’t.

I'm reading Mackinlay Kantor's Civil War Novel, "Andersonville" about the infamous Confederate prison. It's very hard to put down once you're into it. It's a long novel but I read almost a quarter of it today. It won the the 1957 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

Those of you who have read "Killer Angels" or "Gone With the Wind", you'll find this novel just as engrossing if not more so. Check it out!

In addition to textbooks for school, I've been reading sci-fi short stories from the Orbit anthology series. I picked up several from Half Price Books a few months ago. Currently reading Orbit 4 from the series.

Just finished" Atlantis " by David Gibbins .... a very well done techno thriller about the modern day discovery of Atlantis with tons of political intrigue and what not. Real decent. Also read James Rollins "Altar of Eden" ..... I really loved that one.... but I'm a sucker for novels involving designer DNA. Next up is Kathleen and Michael Gear's "The Betrayal" a novel about the lost life of Christ. I've also been reading a lot of early 1800's Historical Fiction.... I can't seem to get enough of that stuff.... especially James Alexander Thom... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

So I'm all Stephen King'd out and want to switch my gears.

What's a really good murder mystery novel?

Something that's not terribly confusing but something with some good plot twist(s) and a thinker. In the mold of "And Then there Were None" if you are familiar with that.

Also, no Agatha Cristie suggestions as I've already read a bunch.