• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished "Amazonia" by James Rollins ….. it's an earlier work of his, and I kept passing it at the Library because I was sure I had already read it.... but that was another book. I believe they may have made a Television mini series from this book, and the book was riveting. 

Another recent treat was "The Angel Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I never read anything quite like the stuff that drips from the pen of Ruiz Zafon, it almost approaches the sublime. At the center of his works is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books ….really cool efforts on his part. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I just finished Great Expectations by Dickens and am now reading Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore..  The slow pace and flowery language have a calming effect on my world :) 

It's the 3 or 4th time for each book 

Edited by Senormac

On 8/22/2018 at 9:09 AM, jimjum12 said:

Just finished "Amazonia" by James Rollins ….. it's an earlier work of his, and I kept passing it at the Library because I was sure I had already read it.... but that was another book. I believe they may have made a Television mini series from this book, and the book was riveting. 

Another recent treat was "The Angel Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I never read anything quite like the stuff that drips from the pen of Ruiz Zafon, it almost approaches the sublime. At the center of his works is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books ….really cool efforts on his part. GOD BLESS...

Heres a link to the joe rogan podcast where henry rollins was on the first time and he talks about his travels...

and the 2nd time...

Also i just finished "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk writer of "Fight Club". It was a fun book but some of the writing felt like he was "trying to hard" to be/say something off the wall. But still a fun book.

I'm reading a book titled Hugh Troy, the worlds greatest practical  joker , and I agree, this guy was pretty good (thumbsu

He was a muralist.....( a person who paints murals) in the NY area back in the '30's and '40's.  He has a pretty impressive mural list of 

hotels, and restaurants and even assisted Ezra Winter with the "Fountain of Youth" mural at the Radio City Music Hall.  I wonder how many of his works are still up .  hm

Edited by Senormac

Reading Bad Blood, the story of Theranos. I can't put it down surprisingly. Feels like reading similar books about the inside story of failed dot.coms back in the early '00's. Similar stories of deception on a gigantic scale.

bad-blood.jpg

I have two passions; sports and comics. The other book I have on the go is “Hank Greenberg: The Story of my Life” with Ira Berkow.

My brother just self-published his first novel, The Moroi Hunters (the first novel of The Skeletal Throne series). I read it and I liked it. Use coupon code XE23P to get it for free on SmashWords. Coupon expires October 12: https://www.lmpbooks.com/store

What's the book about: 

On a world ruled by strigoi—a breed of urbane vampyres—the newly crowned vampyre queen, Shayala, must navigate and survive the machinations of her Court, where envy and jealousy, conspiracy and betrayal are the rule. Here, most humans exist as chattel, lower even than slaves. The few free humans are relegated to tribal societies in the hinterlands, and strigoi fill all the roles within the feudal hierarchy, from slave to sovereign. Now, the number of humans is dwindling, adding to the growing unrest and discontent.

Possessed of powers and abilities far beyond those of humans, strigoi nonetheless face similar challenges, many of which are of their own making. For despite their physical differences, are they so different from humans?

Cover image below:

moroi-hunters-small.jpg.6bfbd761184f74d15ee1fa178da76a55.jpg

Please leave feedback if you like it.

Other than that, I just read the first Conan book. Much better than the movies. Read the Ace/Lancer editions - they published the stories in chronological order with an interesting introduction and bridging paragraph between stories.

Edited by srezvan

48 minutes ago, srezvan said:

Other than that, I just read the first Conan book. Much better than the movies. Read the Ace/Lancer editions - they published the stories in chronological order with an interesting introduction and bridging paragraph between stories.

I enjoy the Howard Conan stories from time to time.  Great Frazetta covers on most em too I believe

"The Prometheus Deception" by Robert Ludlum ….. thought provoking tale about individual privacy …. very impressive effort. I'm also giving Dan Brown a try with "The Lost Symbol" ….. a real page turner. GOD BLESS....

I traveled to Transylvania a couple of months ago so I decided to read Dracula. I’ve made it about 60% through and I’m losing interest. Don’t think I’m gonna finish it. 

Anybody read it? Do they travel back to Transylvania once Dracula comes to London?

Edited by NoMan

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

I traveled to Transylvania a couple of months ago so I decided to read Dracula. I’ve made it about 60% through and I’m losing interest. Don’t think I’m gonna finish it. 

Anybody read it? Do they travel back to Transylvania once Dracula comes to London?

I really enjoyed Dracula. For a more historical-type book, try "In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires." Very interesting book.