• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics you remember seeing on a spinner rack as a kid!

48 posts in this topic

I remember having my 11 year-old mind warped by a spinner rack in an Encore Books bookstore back in the summer of 1988.

The rack had

Batman: The Killing Joke (Barbara Gordon gets her spine blown out by the Joker, crashing backwards through a glass table in slow motion)

Captain America # 345 (Replacement Cap John Walker beats several bad guys to death)

Wonder Woman # 20 (investigative reporter spends whole issue trying to discover who killed soap opera star Mindy Mayer, only to discover at the end that she committed suicide).

I didn't read another comic book for over a year.

I grew up in the 70/80s. I do remember buying ASM238, actually still have my original spaghetti stained copy somewhere. That's about the best of the early 80s when I started buying my own books. I, unfortunately, grew up in a time of pretty crappy books. I do also remember reading the first few Moon Knights when I was recuperating from Chicken Pox.

Giant Size Superstars at the drug store across the street from my school. I was 11. But that was on the magazine stand.

A year later I remember very vividly walking into the drug store by the public library and seeing Strange Tales 178 and that Jim Starlin cover on the spinner rack. What a great era for comics!

Most of the mid 60's to early 70's Marvel's and some DC comics where bought at a drugstore (Brow's) in Fall River, MA. I only have a few left in my collection that I actually picked up off the rack - a Conan the Barbarian #1 and Marvel Feature #2 - though I did buy, and still own the original spinner rack from my childhood when the store went out of business around 1980.

There's a couple I remember - Amazing Spider-Man 298 at a 7-11. I thought the art was pretty good and wondered if this is one of those comices that will ever be worth anything because of the new artist. Then I fugured...naaahh...Never did buy it.

Also remember thinking of buying a stack of Star Wars 107...there was about 10 of them. I was thinking that hey...maybe because it's the last issue of the series it might be worth a few bucks someday. Then I figured...naahhh....But, I did buy 1 copy to finish my run.

Also remember Dazzler #1....I went ahead and bought 200 copies 'cause I thought if it was only available in the direct market it would be worth a few bucks down the road.

Just a quick follow up on this thread and why I started it the other day. Captain America #200 came out around 1976 and I used to go to work with my father when I was a kid in Clinton, SC as he was a manager of a store and I would stand at the entrance on Friday nights and Saturday mornings selling Grit newspapers and there was a spinner rack near the checkouts where I would stand and I would browse the comics when business was slow, I remember seeing advertisements for selling Grit newspaper inside of the comicbooks and thought that was cool at the time.

I was good at saving money when I started selling Grit newspapers, but once I started buying comics my job turned into how many comics I could by each weekend and I remember seeing comics on the rak that I just had to have and once I earned enough profits I would buy comics each week and spend Saturday nights reading them.

My 'golden age' occured when the Marvel books with the 'Win A Toys'R'Us Shopping Spree ' banner were on the racks. To this days, seeing that banner triggers memories of spinner racks with those books. :cloud9:

Winning a toys r us shoppping- I always had that dream back in the day. Transformers and GI Joe were my memories of the 7-11 spinner rack

Les' Variety on Wortley Road had a spinner rack for a while. The comics I specifically remember purchasing from Les' in the summer of 1962 were these:

Batman 150

Detective 307

Jaguar 8

Justice League 14

Les' eliminated its comic rack within a few months. Ken's Variety on Wharncliffe Road had a spinner rack. The comics I specifically remember purchasing from Ken`s in the summer of 1963 were these:

Aquaman 11

Atom 8

Batman 158

Flash 139

Justice League 22

Wonder Woman 141

A year later I also specifically remember purchasing Green Lantern 31 from a spinner rack at a variety store at the corner of High Street and Grand Avenue. Most of my other comic book haunts displayed comics with their magazines on wall racks.

:cool:

My collection started when my father got me 4 comics when I was home sick. The

two I remember were All Star 13 and Mutt & Jeff 5. Later I got every All Star as they

came out (up to #53? <50-57>) and remember some specifically 18, 23, 27, 33, included.

I also remember getting All American 61 (Solomon Grundy) when it came out.

I got what I could afford new and got a lot second hand. The oldest in that collection

was Action 6.

Eventually, I sold the bulk of the collection and what I did not sell, my brother took and

sold so when I started collecting again in1983 I had not owned a comic in at least 25

years. Early items from that period included Wolverine (MS) 1 -4 & Ronin 1-6.

I remember specifically grabbing Superman 295 at my local 7-Eleven in late '75. I took the one that fell on the floor below the spinner rack, as the other copies on the rack were bent.

A few months later I went to another store and got World's Finest 236 and was saddened to see the price hike to 30 cents.

l wasn't a kid any more, except at heart, but I was walking down Bourbon St. in the French Quarter in New Orleans with my wife in the early 1970's when I was stopped in my tracks. Right next to my eyes in a tall spinner was a copy of Mickey Mouse Four Color 16, the Phantom Blot. This had always been one of my favorite comics, a bonafide grail, and to have it appear unexpectedly right next to me was truly amazing. It turns out that Roger Nelson, a long time collector turned dealer, had just opened a store and had put the spinner in front with some great comics in it to attract attention. He sure attracted my attention.