• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

After a piece has been shopped and passed, I will be successful in picking it up for a fair price.

But in effect, you`re also saying that you don`t want a piece that has been shopped and passed except at a discount.

I don`t think most collectors really don`t want a piece at all at any price because it`s been shopped and passed. They just won`t pay a premium for it, whereas they might pay a premium for a piece that is truly "fresh to market".

I agree. The fact that a piece has been shopped and passed does not affect my appreciation for and desire of a piece one iota. That said, if I know a piece has been shopped around and passed at a price, it may suggest that (a) the price is too high, and (b) there may not be much/any competition for the piece - and these things may very well influence how much I am willing to pay for it.

The fact that another piece is "fresh" to market may not influence my wanting to have it, but knowing that it has not been shopped around and the uncertainty factor of there possibly being someone(s) else out there who may be willing to pay as much or more for it, can certainly affect how much I offer for it.

This all sounds reasonable. There's also the old adage, "familiarity breeds contempt." If you've been seeing a piece around for years, it seems only natural that your lust for it will cool. I guess that isn't so much about "fresh to market" as it is about "fresh to you."

Has anyone already received their winnings from the May auction yet ? I'm asking because I already received the comics I won during the Sunday auction which ended a few days after the "big" auction....but so far the art hasn't even shipped yet (I paid on May the 8th)

The auction took place in NYC so the books should have been on site there, probably requiring an extra shipping/unpacking process to occur to get the comics/art back to Dallas.

I imagine the administration around the big auction is far more complicated... I wouldn't worry yet

Stop being so darn rational!

It`s time to start making angry, emotional posts filled with vitriolic accusations and slanderous innuendo! :sumo:

What did you win?

As you know I basically stopped collecting OA about 18 months ago and sold off about 10 pages. Mainly because I was at a dead end, there was nothing left that I was interested it, could afford or could find :cry:

But with the 1000 comics in 2011 reading challenge, I re-discovered the wonderful world of EC comics and have started again looking for nice EC pages. I'm still interested in nice Bronze/Silver Doom and Cap pages... but am going for EC first now.

I got these :

Johnny Craig Vault of Horror 1951. Very happy with this one

th_CraigVaultofHorror22p5-1.jpg

John Romita Sr. 1971 Captain America

th_JohnRomitaSrCaptainAmerica143page32.jpg

I bought two more EC pages this month, a Wally Wood and another Craig, but not at the Heritage auction.

It`s time to start making angry, emotional posts filled with vitriolic accusations and slanderous innuendo! :sumo:

Spider-man, Spider-man, Spider-man.

Thanks ;)

I've wanted a Wood Sci-Fi page for years, when I was in Paris saw all the Wood art Fred had which he was scanning for the catalog of the Wood exhibition in Spain, it fueled me even more. So happy I was finally able to snag this :

th_WOODWS19_p5.jpg

What did you win?

As you know I basically stopped collecting OA about 18 months ago and sold off about 10 pages. Mainly because I was at a dead end, there was nothing left that I was interested it, could afford or could find :cry:

But with the 1000 comics in 2011 reading challenge, I re-discovered the wonderful world of EC comics and have started again looking for nice EC pages. I'm still interested in nice Bronze/Silver Doom and Cap pages... but am going for EC first now.

I got these :

Johnny Craig Vault of Horror 1951. Very happy with this one

th_CraigVaultofHorror22p5-1.jpg

Excellent taste. (thumbs u

I used to own the complete story, from which your page comes from, "Fountains of Youth!" (Vault of Horror # 22), which I originally paid $400 for. As I recall, there were some ink sketches by Craig on the backs of some of those pages. It was always a pleasant surprise and an added bonus to come across these extra illustrations!

I used to own the complete story, from which your page comes from, "Fountains of Youth!" (Vault of Horror # 22), which I originally paid $400 for. As I recall, there were some ink sketches by Craig on the backs of some of those pages. It was always a pleasant surprise and an added bonus to come across these extra illustrations!

Woohoo !

Will be a few months before I can actually see them in the flesh, but I'll be looking at the back the minute I get them :whee:

What did you win?

I would like to think I benefited from your decision hm:applause: (thumbs u

Woohoo !

Will be a few months before I can actually see them in the flesh, but I'll be looking at the back the minute I get them :whee:

Not all of the pages had ink sketches on the back.

Fingers crossed you'll touch tucky. :wishluck:

I'm sorry but this price seems absolutely ridiculous. Granted I'm not a connoisseur of Miller art but I didn't even think this piece ranked at the top of Miller pieces artistically speaking. And a splash to boot.

I'd be curious what you could buy for $500k by a Renaissance master? Anyone know? Granted it wouldn't have a super-hero depicted :/

I was wondering similarly while I was on vacation last week and thinking about where are the good buys in art & collectibles at the present time. $448K might not buy a great painting by a great Old Master (but with a bit of luck, you could probably snag a solid example by a second-tier artist for that amount), but I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy a museum-quality Old Master drawing or etching for that kind of scratch. I think you really have to wonder what the upside is on some of these big OA pieces when they start encroaching on some of those prices. hm