• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

I sold an Adams Green Lantern cover 2 months ago that was "fresh to market". It sold for what might be the highest price paid for an Adams GL cover.

Had it been shopped around like so many other Adams covers, it probably would not have sold for the price it did.

MI

Wasn't GL #77 previously offered by All Star at SDCC?

That is true. I think it was offered at less money and did not sell. It was given back to the consignor after that show.

To the few clients I offers it to,it was "fresh to market"

Mi

To the few clients I offers it to,it was "fresh to market"

Mi

What's fresh for most of collectors is often old news for some few hard collectors and the old timers ...!!!!

I remember $70K as well.

Hope the buyer bought the piece for reasons other than it was "fresh to market". Or that it was relatively fresh enough for him. Anyway, the cover is strong enough on its own to justify the price. Congrats to the buyer (a sometimes poster here).

I remember $70K as well.

Hope the buyer bought the piece for reasons other than it was "fresh to market". Or that it was relatively fresh enough for him. Anyway, the cover is strong enough on its own to justify the price. Congrats to the buyer (a sometimes poster here).

Although I understand the appeal of "fresh to the market" pieces to some collectors, the idea of it has never quite worked for me.

Whenever I've acquired artwork in the past, it's always been on the strength of the work - nothing else.

If I like the art, I couldn't give a damn if the work has been 'shopped around' or has remained unsold on some dealer's site for any length of time. My focus has always been on the art, not its history of availability.

Twice-up art and fresh of the market art is just the top of the cake !!! It's of course always even better if the page you purchase is bigger and totally surprises you because you didn't expect to see it for sale or you never saw it for real or on scan anywhere .... It wouldn't affect the sentimental value you put on it but would certainly have some effects on your appreciation of the art !!!

Unfortunatly this WILL affect the price and for most of us it will mean you don't get the art ...That's why I mostly hunt for pieces sleeping in a store or a CAF ...!!!

I like Fred's comparison with fish ...though I must admit I prefer when my art actually smells the old paper or even better the old cigar !!! :headbang:

What might one of Jerry Robinson's 2-up Golden Age Batman covers be bought for? I would think much less than the price of the DK piece. Personally I'd much rather have the Golden Age Batman cover than the DK piece if I was going to spend upwards of quarter million or more on a piece.

What might one of Jerry Robinson's 2-up Golden Age Batman covers be bought for? I would think much less than the price of the DK piece. Personally I'd much rather have the Golden Age Batman cover than the DK piece if I was going to spend upwards of quarter million or more on a piece.

I'd rather have one of Jerry's covers (Superman #14 or Tec #69) too, but you'd probably need a stack of cash on top of the DK piece's sales price to get one from him.

From what I heard $448K might not get you either of them. People have been trying for several years, well before they showed up on CC, with some serious offers and no luck.

I like Fred's comparison with fish ...though I must admit I prefer when my art actually smells the old paper or even better the old cigar !!! :headbang:

Here ya go, Romain, one smelly fish . . .

23h111w.jpg

Here ya go, Romain, one smelly fish . . .

23h111w.jpg

g30b.gif

:signfunny:

I'd rather have one of Jerry's covers (Superman #14 or Tec #69) too, but you'd probably need a stack of cash on top of the DK piece's sales price to get one from him.

From what I heard $448K might not get you either of them. People have been trying for several years, well before they showed up on CC, with some serious offers and no luck.

From the list I saw, that should get you the Tec #69 but not the Superman #14. Though who knows if they're still for sale. The CC auction may have been a one time window when he was willing to sell them individually. As I understood it, he would prefer to sell the entire collection complete and that has been the difficulty in making a deal.

Don't you all just get the feeling Jerry is a colossal PITA to deal with? I'm sure he's a nice guy and we all should be thankful he saved this stuff but I'd hate to be trying to strike a deal with him

Like I said, I'd hate to be trying to strike a deal with him. Seems to have unrealistic expectations already and I'm sure that DKR sale only fuelled the fire even though its completely irrelevant.

I just have to wonder though, surely the remainder of his life would be a lot more comfortable if he was to sell these pieces. I dont know if he has children/grandchildren that he is leaving these pieces to further down the road, but if he doesnt and he isnt leaving them to a museum, then surely he realises that he will never see the benefit of having held off for a higher price on these.