• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

If it breaks the $100K mark, then we will know we`re truly in the Mother of All Bubbles.

Time will tell.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the Captain America #100 splash, not the Dark Knight page.

If it breaks the $100K mark, then we will know we`re truly in the Mother of All Bubbles.

Time will tell.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the Captain America #100 splash, not the Dark Knight page.

If the cap splash passes 100k, I will eat the short I when I saw the final hammer on the DKR splash ! :sick:

Time will tell.

If the cap splash passes 100k, I will eat the short I when I saw the final hammer on the DKR splash ! :sick:

:sick::sick:

My lone win from the auction, MUCH cheaper than the ones being discussed herein, but I'm pleased to add it to my growing Black Cat original art collection :)

blackcatpagereduced.jpg

My lone win from the auction, MUCH cheaper than the ones being discussed herein, but I'm pleased to add it to my growing Black Cat original art collection :)

blackcatpagereduced.jpg

Nice!

I can just see some collector of modern OA, who was raised on comics where every panel was intended to be a pin-up and the story was irrelevant, looking at that page and thinking "Too many words!"

blackcatpagereduced.jpg

Nice!

I can just see some collector of modern OA, who was raised on comics where every panel was intended to be a pin-up and the story was irrelevant, looking at that page and thinking "Too many words!"

It is a bit wordy, but does have a couple "money shots" so to speak. That fits the focus of the Black Cat pages I seek out :)

blackcatpagereduced.jpg

Nice!

It is a bit wordy, but does have a couple "money shots" so to speak. That fits the focus of the Black Cat pages I seek out :)

I wasn`t criticizing the piece, Bill. I was criticizing the brain-deadedness of modern superhero comics (and their readers).

Actually, calling them readers is too much of a compliment. Probably better to call them "viewers".

Congratulations to the new owner of the DKR splash as he certainly showed the cajones to go after the piece.

A big congratulations also go to the seller who received more proceeds than anyone could have imagined.

Heritage also gets a lot of credit since they let the art speak for itself. Any hype came from the fan chat rooms and not from the auction house. Something you don't see that often.

As an update to my earlier pre-auction post, I'll update my preference for a small condo in South Beach and a copy of the TPB. lol.

Cheers!

N.

blackcatpagereduced.jpg

Nice!

I wasn`t criticizing the piece, Bill. I was criticizing the brain-deadedness of modern superhero comics (and their readers).

Actually, calling them readers is too much of a compliment. Probably better to call them "viewers".

I know Tim. I didn't take it as criticsim. I really enjoy reading the pages of OA that I have, nearly as much as I enjoy the art.

I'd collect a whole lot more art, except that most of the artists I'd want to collect are way too expensive these days.

The thing that strikes me about the DKR splash is that historically collectors place a premium on twice up art, and the fact that it is ONLY small size art makes the sale even more impressive.

I keep thinking how much more the splash would have gone for if only it was twice up. Then you would've seen some spirited bidding.:)

The thing that strikes me about the DKR splash is that historically collectors place a premium on twice up art, and the fact that it is ONLY small size art makes the sale even more impressive.

I keep thinking how much more the splash would have gone for if only it was twice up. Then you would've seen some spirited bidding.:)

I don't think it would have made much difference at all. This wouldn't have sold for any less if it was smaller (not tiny, but say 10X15 instead of 11X17). Personally, while twice-up is nice, I pay for the art, not the size.

Also, this sale has blown all our minds, but let's not overlook the other two DKR pages that sold at $41K and $13K. That gives us a better idea of the DKR market. And really, of the market in general: If the top two guys aren't interested, there's a big, big drop-off. That's the reality, no matter what the spin we may be hearing from the KKs of the world.

I was kind of joking about the twice up thing.

Another thing though, while we all realize that just two bidders took it from the 200k mark to where the bidding ended, the general public that sees the end result will not take that knowledge into account--they may just think that comic art is a great place to make an investment killing when a piece of art drawn in 1986 goes for nearly a half a million dollars.

And if they jump in they may learn the realities of the hobby the hard way.

I was kind of joking about the twice up thing.

Another thing though, while we all realize that just two bidders took it from the 200k mark to where the bidding ended, the general public that sees the end result will not take that knowledge into account--they may just think that comic art is a great place to make an investment killing when a piece of art drawn in 1986 goes for nearly a half a million dollars.

And if they jump in they may learn the realities of the hobby the hard way.

I can already hear the sound of saliva dripping from the chops of some guys in this hobby that are more than willing to play the teacher in that scenario.

It interesting to me that you say that you pay for the art, not the size. I don't believe most old time collectors would agree with you.

Are we now in a period of collecting where size doesn't matter? Is it ALL about the image on the paper?

I've always maintained that it's the image that draws you to the art in the first place. But after finally purchasing a twice up cover or two, I have to admit that the size adds an extra dimension of wow factor that keeps your gaze transfixed on the artwork a bit longer. I do think that good twice up art, all other things being fairly equal, deserves a premium.

It interesting to me that you say that you pay for the art, not the size. I don't believe most old time collectors would agree with you.

Are we now in a period of collecting where size doesn't matter? Is it ALL about the image on the paper?

I've always maintained that it's the image that draws you to the art in the first place. But after finally purchasing a twice up cover or two, I have to admit that the size adds an extra dimension of wow factor that keeps your gaze transfixed on the artwork a bit longer. I do think that good twice up art, all other things being fairly equal, deserves a premium.

I agree but I think the point being made is that when its a grail piece its not going to matter because at this price level its just a question of what the buyer can afford.

In other words, if a $4500 small art page "would" be worth $6500 as large art, that doesn't correlate to a $450,000 small art sale being worth $650,000 as large art. Because this price just boiled down to ability to pay and was way beyond what most anyone's "normal" valuation based on artist/size/image/date and place of publication, etc. would have gotten it.

I.e. I think you're trying to generalize what was probably intended to be a conclusion specific to this sale and this sale only. For my money I fully agree that larger pieces have more oomph, all other things being equal.

So you weren't really joking?:P

All things being equal, I'd agree with you. If two pieces are of equal quality, then the bigger one is worth more. Large art is impressive, no doubt. But image is still more important. I'd take a smaller A piece over a bigger B piece. There are guys who will try to sell twice-up as the most important factor (usually when there's not much else to sell). Who will try to convince others that the twice-up B piece should be worth as much, if not more, than the smaller A piece. I see you don't mean that, so again, I agree with you.