• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

Frankly,

I've never heard of any seasoned art collector, investing serious money into the hobby, who collects by character alone.

That's something newer collectors tend to do. That's something I did early in my collecting life, but experience has taught that the artwork is only as good as the penciler's hand and the inker's brush.

I still collect mostly by character 7 years later. Villains, Indian Jones, and Star Wars pieces are mostly what I buy. Although I mostly buy painted pieces, so the artists are limited. I have seen some artists who aren't popular and their art is really cheap that is 10 times better than some of the more pricier artists. I still regret selling my Firefly splash as he is a villain I don't see often, but a $100 page was not something I felt I had the wall space for. The art itself was pretty damn nice for being so cheap. It had wonderful inking.

I think only 25% of what I won is pen and ink, so I am limited with artists for paintings. However, I simply found I didn't enjoy pen and ink on the walls as much as paintings. The first collection I had that I sold in college was all pen and ink with many panel pages. When I got out of college I found I enjoyed paintings much more and almost completely stayed away from panel pages. Kraven's Last Hunt is my favorite super hero story of all time. I purchased a page from Kraven's Last Hunt but being pen and ink plus a panel page, I didn't keep it for long and traded it for a Jusko painting.

I guess you are right though. I won't just buy a painting because it is simply of a villain I need an example of or has Indiana Jones. It has to be a good representation of the character and not look like some kind of manga wide eyed . In fact if they aren't wearing their normal costume I will often be uninterested. I am often offered Indiana Jones art from the Marvel series, but I I personally find 90% of those covers to be pretty weak, and the one's I only kind of like are a lot more than what I want to spend on something I only kind of like.

Spider-man, X-men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Captain America are some 1st tier

2nd tier - Incredible Hulk, The Flash

3rd tier - Daredevil, Conan the Barbarian

4th Tier - Moon Knight, Watchmen, Walking Dead.

imo

Frankly,

I've never heard of any seasoned art collector, investing serious money into the hobby, who collects by character alone.

That's something newer collectors tend to do. That's something I did early in my collecting life, but experience has taught that the artwork is only as good as the penciler's hand and the inker's brush.

Certain landmark stories or issues are landmark usually as a combination or art and story. Not simply because Batman, for example, is in the book.

There is incredibly crappy X-men art from the Silver Age, the same goes for every character on your list.

There are pages of Spider-man artwork that will never be sought after or valuable because they are just BAD, but truly well written, and well drawn stories will have a following and will be sought after not simply because of the character in them.

I guess when collecting books it's about the character and when collecting art it's about the artist. Thanks for the feedback.

Whats funny for me is some of my prime collecting and reading days were when Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns came out on the stands. I bought the Watchmen becuase it was so hyped but I have to say the story did nothing for me an I found the artwork to really bad, especally when compared to Romita, Buscema, or Adams. I liked the DKR story but was not a huge fan of Miller (actually I stopped buying Daredevil when he took over the title because I didn't like the artwork). It really does come down to personal taste. For some people Watchmen and DKR are the peak in comic quality, for others not so much.

Frankly,

I still collect mostly by character 7 years later. Villains, Indian Jones, and Star Wars pieces are mostly what I buy. Although I mostly buy painted pieces, so the artists are limited. I have seen some artists who aren't popular and their art is really cheap that is 10 times better than some of the more pricier artists. I still regret selling my Firefly splash as he is a villain I don't see often, but a $100 page was not something I felt I had the wall space for. The art itself was pretty damn nice for being so cheap. It had wonderful inking.

I think only 25% of what I won is pen and ink, so I am limited with artists for paintings. However, I simply found I didn't enjoy pen and ink on the walls as much as paintings. The first collection I had that I sold in college was all pen and ink with many panel pages. When I got out of college I found I enjoyed paintings much more and almost completely stayed away from panel pages. Kraven's Last Hunt is my favorite super hero story of all time. I purchased a page from Kraven's Last Hunt but being pen and ink plus a panel page, I didn't keep it for long and traded it for a Jusko painting.

I guess you are right though. I won't just buy a painting because it is simply of a villain I need an example of or has Indiana Jones. It has to be a good representation of the character and not look like some kind of manga wide eyed . In fact if they aren't wearing their normal costume I will often be uninterested. I am often offered Indiana Jones art from the Marvel series, but I I personally find 90% of those covers to be pretty weak, and the one's I only kind of like are a lot more than what I want to spend on something I only kind of like.

Well that's the thing really. You love those characters but not enough to buy junk. You want a quality piece, by a talented artist, and you mostly try to find those pieces that incorporate those characters as well.

It's like guys that love Conan, and collect Conan artwork, they aren't running to buy just anything, but waive a BWS or Buscema in front of them and they probably jump.

Not every guy nailed the character of Daredevil, but show a Miller, or Mazz to a DD collector and their blood pressure rises.

In the early 70s, original strip art held a relatively high value compared to original comic book art, and owning a Segar Thimble Theatre or a Foster, Raymond or Hogarth was the pinnacle of collecting.

Seems as though that generation of collectors aged, fell by the wayside, became disinterested.

You make it sound like now that the comic strip generation has fallen away, you should be able to pick up Foster or Raymond OA for a song now. Unfortunately, that`s nowhere near the case.

Whats funny for me is some of my prime collecting and reading days were when Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns came out on the stands. I bought the Watchmen becuase it was so hyped but I have to say the story did nothing for me an I found the artwork to really bad, especally when compared to Romita, Buscema, or Adams. I liked the DKR story but was not a huge fan of Miller (actually I stopped buying Daredevil when he took over the title because I didn't like the artwork). It really does come down to personal taste. For some people Watchmen and DKR are the peak in comic quality, for others not so much.

Nothing in this world that is subjective is ever 100%. You`re the exception rather than the rule. Obviously there are many more people who got into DD because of Miller than got out.

I haven't been collecting as long as you, but I've already had substantial periods of disinterest where I've stopped collecting comics and OA. My breaks from collecting tend to increase in frequency and duration so perhaps there's more than a few among us that will sell well before our 60s. :o

I think it's important not to equate personal disinterest with a long term trend on the hobby. While it might seem that a number of older (not in age but in hobby duration) collectors are feeling disinterested, i'm relatively new to the hobby and am seeing a lot of my peers from other collecting avenues start taking a considerable interest in OA over their previous interests.

I've been a toy collector for over 20 years, primarily vintage Star Wars, and now it bores me silly. I've seen everything, i've toured most of the top collections in the US and Canada and nothing new is turning up to keep it very exciting. A lot of guys i know are in the same boat and we're all turning to OA because we grew up on and still enjoy comics. Being that we had a taste for the high end SW stuff and/or prototypes, OA is the natural progression of our interests when we transfer to comic related interests. That said, i'm not forecasting doom and gloom for the SW market as i still think there's considerable health in it, especially as i'm seeing people from these boards joining ours and starting to temper their comic or OA boredom with toys. :)

Rest assured, there are some of us getting into this who would be happy to pick up whatever choice pieces you sell before you're 60. ;):)

Key SA super heroes and GA superheroes will always be 1st tier sought after product. I personally feel Watchmen and Walking Dead are 4th tier product.

I personally feel you lose all credibility by placing Watchmen and The Walking Dead in the same tier, regardles of what tier it is.

lol, I never heard of Watchmen and when I did, seeing the movie was krap. Walking dead was okay but just another zombie movie. Resident Evil series was the best. If everyone thinks Watchmen and Walking Dead are so great. Show me the movies, Watchmen, 1 and done and Walking Dead is on a B list cable show. Most people don't have cable. hm

Thanks for making this post and saving me time in the future. Now I know that I can completely disregard your posts going forward.

When I started collecting AO some 25 years ago it was around a single character. I had collected most of what I wanted featuring the character, early on I wasn't as picky. In the last 10 years I have changed my focus, expanding into other things I read growing up plus other artists, from Golden Age, to newspaper strips and other non-comic art.

Key SA super heroes and GA superheroes will always be 1st tier sought after product. I personally feel Watchmen and Walking Dead are 4th tier product.

I personally feel you lose all credibility by placing Watchmen and The Walking Dead in the same tier, regardles of what tier it is.

lol, I never heard of Watchmen and when I did, seeing the movie was krap. Walking dead was okay but just another zombie movie. Resident Evil series was the best. If everyone thinks Watchmen and Walking Dead are so great. Show me the movies, Watchmen, 1 and done and Walking Dead is on a B list cable show. Most people don't have cable. hm

Thanks for making this post and saving me time in the future. Now I know that I can completely disregard your posts going forward.

I care because?

I care because?

Because you live by the code of WWAD?

What Would Alice Do?

Resident-Evil-Afterlife-Alice.jpg

She cares....she cares A LOT

:troll:

It only takes two bidders so we shall see, but I can think of DKR pages I'd rather have. Can't see this page getting out of the low 1s?? and would expect it more likely that any surprise be on the downside more than the upside?? (200k seems way too much to me??). But its just cheap speculation at this point.

wtf are you guys talking about, I can't follow a word lol (of the last four or so posts)

Delicate social commentary and satire with regards to the contention that Watchmen the comic book is somehow diminished because there are no sequels to the movie version of the story, and how The Walking Dead is not a quality book because the television station that carries the episodes is on cable, and finally (the kicker, I believe it's called) is that Resident Evil is better than either Walking Dead or Watchmen because the films made based on the Resident Evil video game are totally person_without_enough_empathyin' and have a "wicked hawt" protagonist in the lead role...with two blind eyes and a severe head trauma (most likely) preventing the acknowledgment that Resident Evil is not even an original comic book series.

That should catch you up. (thumbs u

wtf are you guys talking about, I can't follow a word lol (of the last four or so posts)

have a "wicked hawt" protagonist in the lead role...with two blind eyes and a severe head trauma (most likely) preventing the acknowledgment that Resident Evil is not even an original comic book series.

That should catch you up. (thumbs u

Aha!! This is the part of the delicate social commentary I was missing. THanks bro!! :whee:

Nothing in this world that is subjective is ever 100%. You`re the exception rather than the rule. Obviously there are many more people who got into DD because of Miller than got out.

Yes but there are many more people who never got into DD after Miller took over than got into DD after he did. :slapfight: