• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

Didn't this thing sell already?

lol

Judging by the thread title, probably not.

But that's just a guess. :D

I've got the DKR TPB in front of me now. Most striking to me is comparing the published version to the original. This is one of those pieces that loses so, so much without the coloring. There are practically acres of blank white space and the uncolored figures don't have much more detail than a lot of convention sketches. You lose the bright lights of the city creating a glow that slowly bleeds into deeper, darker night, you lose the menacing darkness in Batman's cape and cowl and you lose the striking red/gold/green of the youthful Robin contrasting against the darkness represented by both Batman and Gotham City.

The original just looks terribly sparse, and doesn't confer to me that je ne sais quoi wow factor that you would expect from something with a $100K, let alone $200K, price tag. I mean, I'm wowed by the fact that it's a fresh to market splash from one of my all-time favorite storylines, but that's all about the rarity and nostalgia, not about the art itself, which I find to be a bit underwhelming. If you chopped off the cityscape below, it wouldn't look like much more than a decent commissioned pin-up, and I count at least 5 or 6 splashes in the book that I'd rather own (caveat: I'm imagining what the others look like in their uncolored pen & ink form).

That said, the price will have to go high enough to ration this single piece among the small group of rabid nostalgic fans willing to go to the mat for this page (you can count me out of that group), so I'm going to guess it sells for $120-$150K. I'd be shocked if it sells for less than $100K and I'll probably feel a little bit ill if it sells for $200K. But, in any case, I hope it fetches a very healthy price for Todd, Steve and the rest of the Heritage team!

I've had differences in opionion with Gene and I've spoken up about them in the past. Not personal, we just viewed things differently...

I can also agree with him publicly and I think he's right on the money about this one. It's the "freshness to the market" that is most alluring. Not that Beno's splash wouldn't make HUGE waves if it was auctioned off...but I also think that splash is a bit more artisically pleasing. I love Miller's work. His Born Again story line made me fall in love with comics and realise what great writing is. But his artwork is not his strong point. Layout and storytelling is...That's what makes the DKR so important.

I just noticed this on ebay:

fm-dark-knight.jpg

I'd love to hear what people think it could go for. I think it's really cool that it's addressed to Julie Schwartz.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260748588628#ht_1310wt_1115

Honestly this piece does nothing for me and I can't believe it's already over 10K. I love everything Miller did during his heyday but I don't like this piece.

fm-dark-knight.jpg

I'd love to hear what people think it could go for. I think it's really cool that it's addressed to Julie Schwartz.

Honestly this piece does nothing for me and I can't believe it's already over 10K. I love everything Miller did during his heyday but I don't like this piece.

That's the sort of factor I'm interested in. I'd love to have it, just to have something related to DKR, but it's a pretty weak image. Actually, Robin's better than Batman in this one.

fm-dark-knight.jpg

is it really over $10k? one private bidder hm

fm-dark-knight.jpg

I don't remember seeing this one in the Heritage auction of Julie's stuff. I bought 4 or 5 of the pieces of art that were done for Julie's 75th, there had to be 30 or more by different artists if I remember correctly.

fm-dark-knight.jpg

Besides the fact that this piece was never published, it holds very little interest for me because Batman looks like Charlie-27 from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Heritage has now posted a THIRD DKR page for the May auction!!! Although they have not posted an image the page is pretty iconic: Book 4, page 2.

This is the page where Batman spits on the Joker's dead body, correct? Content wise, I would say it's iconic - but I wouldn't say that art wise its one of the iconic pages in the book. I'm sure it'll still go for silly money.

Overall though, this is one of the best Heritage auctions that I can recall.

I loved DKR as much s the next guy.....but I think I prefer the Kirby/Colletta Olympus splash or the Ian Miller Swamp Thing cover (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I loved DKR as much s the next guy.....but I think I prefer the Kirby/Colletta Olympus splash or the Ian Miller Swamp Thing cover (shrug) GOD BLESS...

If all that is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), then you like Ian Miller WAY more than the next guy lol:foryou:

(no disrespect to Ian who is a good artist himself)

I am rather fond of Ian.....and I love the Swamp Thing. I also love Frank's work....but I would much rather have the double splash from the ASM annual that featured Doc Strange than a DKR page....that's my favorite Frank Miller page(s) ever. GOD BLESS...

Well, if the game is compare it to any other piece of comic art ever, then yes, there are lots and lots of other pieces of comic art I would prefer.