• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR 26 CGC 9.4

202 posts in this topic

Realizing I am spooning in somebody sales thread, something I don't normally approve of, I feel it must be stated in the spirit of maintining integrity of Board Sales. This book was just purchased 6 weeks ago for 3,777. Please don't try and pass off this sale as an act of kindness for a little girl and goodwill toward Board members. It's a flip for triple your money in 6 weeks.

Totally inappropriate. OP's first post gave information(maybe too much) on source of funds for the purchase of the book, never asked for consideration of "kindness" towards his daughter- just offering first shot at a book that has a recent spike in price. He does not have to justify his profit margin to the board, it will either sell or it won't. What he paid is irrelevant.

Books being offered due to price spikes based on recent sales happen on a daily basis, whether it be the Showcase 22 craze, additional Archie #1s being offered after the first sale, or modern books(Cursed Pirate Girl comes to mind). Unless we are going to require sellers to post when & what they paid for each book, commenting in the sales thread in this manner should not be acceptable.

What's the flipping problem? People should be able to put up an asking price of whatever they want.

"Flipping" (buy low, sell high) is just another way of saying "free market" or "capitalism at work" - this happens every day in the financial and real estate markets...why should comics be any different?

I would have no problem with this IF this was the scenario. IF gpa for this book was $11,000 and he just happened to get lucky and find a copy for $3700, i wouldnt have a problem whatsoever with him tripling his money and asking $11,000.

However, gpa for this book is pretty clear. Other than ONE weird sale two years ago, a 9.4 #26 has NEVER sold for more than 4k. GPA for this book is pretty clearly 4k ish range. Trying to come on here and ask 7k above gpa and act like its an act of kindness to the board is wrong imo.

Yes, a 9.6 recently sold for 22k. That IN NO WAY makes a 9.4 worth 11k. 9.6's go for MUCH more than double a 9.4. No matter what the 9.6 sold for a fwe weeks ago, this book IS NOT worth even close to 11k.

This was an attempt to rip off a boardie in my eyes 100% (thumbs u

p.s.- when trying to rip people off and get triple GPA at least try and find a HG SA Marvel that isnt a c/ow! lol

I would have no problem with this IF this was the scenario. IF gpa for this book was $11,000 and he just happened to get lucky and find a copy for $3700, i wouldnt have a problem whatsoever with him tripling his money and asking $11,000.

However, gpa for this book is pretty clear. Other than ONE weird sale two years ago, a 9.4 #26 has NEVER sold for more than 4k. GPA for this book is pretty clearly 4k ish range. Trying to come on here and ask 7k above gpa and act like its an act of kindness to the board is wrong imo.

Yes, a 9.6 recently sold for 22k. That IN NO WAY makes a 9.4 worth 11k. 9.6's go for MUCH more than double a 9.4. No matter what the 9.6 sold for a fwe weeks ago, this book IS NOT worth even close to 11k.

p.s.- when trying to rip people off and get triple GPA at least try and find a HG SA Marvel that isnt a c/ow! lol

Jason , GPA and his price point should have ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with this.

His post was totally within the rules of this board :rulez:. He did nothing that broke the rules and therefore should be able to post the book for sale if he chooses to do so.

The people that posted negative stuff in his thread are the ones who broke the rules.

Realizing I am spooning in somebody sales thread, something I don't normally approve of, I feel it must be stated in the spirit of maintining integrity of Board Sales. This book was just purchased 6 weeks ago for 3,777. Please don't try and pass off this sale as an act of kindness for a little girl and goodwill toward Board members. It's a flip for triple your money in 6 weeks.

Totally inappropriate. OP's first post gave information(maybe too much) on source of funds for the purchase of the book, never asked for consideration of "kindness" towards his daughter- just offering first shot at a book that has a recent spike in price. He does not have to justify his profit margin to the board, it will either sell or it won't. What he paid is irrelevant.

Books being offered due to price spikes based on recent sales happen on a daily basis, whether it be the Showcase 22 craze, additional Archie #1s being offered after the first sale, or modern books(Cursed Pirate Girl comes to mind). Unless we are going to require sellers to post when & what they paid for each book, commenting in the sales thread in this manner should not be acceptable.

I see this point too. Every situation is different, but I think we can all agree that there was something shady about this seller. I believe Bob was acting in good faith to try and protect the community. I'm not a fan of thread crapping either, but I also believe that there are (extremely) limited times when it is justified. And in my opinion, this was one of those. (shrug)

His post was totally within the rules of this board :rulez:. He did nothing that broke the rules and therefore should be able to post the book for sale if he chooses to do so.

The people that posted negative stuff in his thread are the ones who broke the rules.

I kind of agree with that Dale. I'm on the fence as to wether i agree with what bob did. Part of me thinks he can ask whatever he wants and the buyer should do his research. The other part of me agrees with bob that this is a community and we should look out for each other. Someone who doesnt have gpa might think 11k is a reasonable price for this book(which it clearly isnt) and buy the book for AT LEAST 5k more than its worth.

Tough call.

I dont know who this guy is, and it doesn't matter. This is bad form in a sales thread. You are allowed to ask any price you want for any book you want. This guy may be the worlds worst, or he may be just what he says he is, but it really shouldn't matter.

Since the topic is closed, I figure it is OK to comment now. I would have to say a big thank you to bomber-bob on this one. If the book was just posted with an asking price, I think Dale may have a point. :juggle: However, there was a nice story put forward in the post and an implication that "a lower price" was being offered as a favor to the boards before father and daughter tried their hand at eBay. With what seems to be a disingenuous story at best, I feel the comment was more than appropriate.

+1

No one here is against the free market, but people see this as a community. And putting up a book at over 2 1/2 times the price you paid 2 months later isn't very community-friendly - it's outright greedy. Especially if it's coming from someone who rarely posts and does not have any history as a seller.

Guy just bought an Action 10 for $200.00 on Ebay in the area of G condition. The book will be worth substantially more, if it is sold for more then $500.00 by the new owner, then what?

Then there's no problem. But if Bob says his $5K asking price was chosen to teach his injured daughter about free enterprise, I'll be the first to bust on him for it. :roflmao:

The girl came into money and he wants to teach her to make more. Makes sense to me. I really dont think he has done anything wrong. The Threadkrapping however IS wrong. There are over priced books offered here everyday, should we point all of them out? Should we make it so nobody wants to sell here. And this isnt really directed at you John, but this is NOT the way these forums should or have ever been policed.

I kind of agree with that Dale. I'm on the fence as to wether i agree with what bob did. Part of me thinks he can ask whatever he wants and the buyer should do his research. The other part of me agrees with bob that this is a community and we should look out for each other. Someone who doesnt have gpa might think 11k is a reasonable price for this book(which it clearly isnt) and buy the book for AT LEAST 5k more than its worth.

Tough call.

The old guesstimate would have been 2x 9.4 price for a 9.6 (thumbs u

+1

It honestly doesn't matter - either the book sells here or it sells somewhere else

I totally agree with you. The seller choose the price he wants. If it seems too expensive, or too greedy, just don't buy the book.

I've read some other stories, health, birth, home etc.. which preceded other sales threads, that members had no problem with. Members may not agree with the price or the story but it is completely wrong to mess on someones thread.

Free will allows one to make individual decisions. You can decide to list a book at whatever price for whatever reason. As a buyer you can choose to buy said book if the price is agreeable or pass if it is not.

Until there is an over-priced book quota forced on each of us leave threads alone. They flounder pretty quickly.

The girl came into money and he wants to teach her to make more. Makes sense to me. I really dont think he has done anything wrong. The Threadkrapping however IS wrong. There are over priced books offered here everyday, should we point all of them out? Should we make it so nobody wants to sell here. And this isnt really directed at you John, but this is NOT the way these forums should or have ever been policed.

I respect where you guys are coming from. :foryou: I'm not a fan of threadkrapping either, and people can flip books all they want for all I care. I would just characterize this particular pitch as fairly unusual and (IMO, on the surface of it) a bit disingenuous. But, point taken and will keep in mind going forward.

I agree that the OP's purchase price is as relative as how the weather when he purchased it.

(thumbs u

I agree that the OP's purchase price is as relative as how the weather when he purchased it.

(thumbs u

Roy and I actually agree. Probably just because Andy made the statement and not Roy.

I agree that the OP's purchase price is as relative as how the weather was when he purchased it.

(thumbs u

Roy and I actually agree. Probably just because Andy made the statement and not Roy.

You just said that so you could embarrass me by quoting my bad grammar.

:cry:

Oh, and someone alluded to Tim's Freedom being alleybat or something like that. Tim is a real buyer. Him and I have been going back and forth for years and he wanted to buy my FF #296 CGC 9.6 last year.

I agree with Dale Roberts about not carping in someones sales thread. 2c

I also appreciate members sharing information and the sense of community. (thumbs u

So why not start a new thread in Comics General or somewhere else? Then you can still say whatever you want about the book and warn fellow boardies. (shrug)