• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR 26 CGC 9.4

202 posts in this topic

No excuses, the comments were completely inappropriate. Justified, but you don't call someone out in a sales thread. (tsk)

These boards are populated with hardcore collectors who would never be convinced to make a purchase by a story and would never pay a ridiculous price for a book.

A GPA subscription protects a noob like myself from making egregious purchases. If you are even considering spending in the high thousands for a comic book you don't need protection.

IMO people's egos are offended by these types of threads but it doesn't justify bad behavior.

Wow! I agree to the whole 'it's his book, he can ask for ONE BILLION DOLLARS ( Dr.Evil voice )' if he'd like and if one doesn't like it or want it, move on. I also believe whatever he paid for it is irrelevent, again it is his book to do with as he pleases. Personally I thought the price was high myself ( I have that book ) but again, that is his business. My 9 cents in the matter.

:applause:

:gossip: Actually, our community is just a wayward collection of geeks and nobodies who happen to share a common interest in funny books ;)

:lol:

Most nobodies don't have the disposable income to spend on funny books!

As to the geek thing I have nothing, you are dead on balls acurate (thumbs u

This situation is just all jacked up. What a way to treat a boardie by calling him a liar and crapping on his thread (thumbs u

If his daughter really did want to sell the book on here, I wouldn't blame her one bit for not ever coming back here after she sees this melee.

The book is not that common in the grade. If someone wants to take it from his hands they will have to pay the price he wants to let go of it. Besides, the buyer has precedent to be asking the price that he is asking, especially with the recent sell of the 9.6. He may have just been going off the last GPA price and meant no harm at all. Maybe he really thought he was helping us out. Too bad he was crucified before anyone got more info on the situation doh!

What would we all do if someone posted on here that they would like to trade one hour with their wife, for an ASM 28 in CGC 9.0?

This post is useless without pics.

I have a hot wife.....who has a CGC 9.0 ASM #28? C/OW will be fine too!

:gossip: Just kidding......

about the C/OW part. :devil:

Ive got a Spidey # 298 9.0 (restored) ,and thats as high as I`ll go

What would we all do if someone posted on here that they would like to trade one hour with their wife, for an ASM 28 in CGC 9.0?

This post is useless without pics.

I have a hot wife.....who has a CGC 9.0 ASM #28? C/OW will be fine too!

:gossip: Just kidding......

about the C/OW part. :devil:

Ive got a Spidey # 298 9.0 (restored) ,and thats as high as I`ll go

Dude, she is worth more than that! Try again..... :insane:

This situation is just all jacked up. What a way to treat a boardie by calling him a liar and crapping on his thread (thumbs u

If his daughter really did want to sell the book on here, I wouldn't blame her one bit for not ever coming back here after she sees this melee.

The book is not that common in the grade. If someone wants to take it from his hands they will have to pay the price he wants to let go of it. Besides, the buyer has precedent to be asking the price that he is asking, especially with the recent sell of the 9.6. He may have just been going off the last GPA price and meant no harm at all. Maybe he really thought he was helping us out. Too bad he was crucified before anyone got more info on the situation doh!

Actually, i believe #26 in 9.4 or above is one of the most common early FF's. Not exactly rare compared to other FF issues (thumbs u

There's really no precedent for the price he is asking regardless of what the 9.6 sold for. Other than 1 sale 2 years ago, there is a VERY clear precedent for this book selling in the $3500-4000 range as evidenced by his $3800ish purchase. He can ask whatever he wants for the book but that doesnt mean he isnt subject to criticism when he offers the book for triple its value in my eyes. I've got a 9.4 #14. If i put it up here with the special boardie price of $7,000, i wouldnt exactly be shocked if i get blasted for it.

The more i think about it, the more i back what bomber did. From what i've seen so far, i'm definitely not losing any sleep if his daughter decides not to give us boardies any more "special deals" on her books ;)

This kind of reminds me when Jimmy Carter quoted his daughter, Amy's thought on the proliferation of nuclear weaponry. He got roasted over that and many felt that sealed Reagan's victory.

I take no offense at all to a seller asking what they want for a book. It takes a buyer willing to pay to make the deal so move on, if you think the book is too high.

Personal feeling here - whether said to curry an emotional sale or not, a family's member accident and recuperation that has nothing to do with this, I do think is inappropriate. I won't condemn the OP as he may just wanted to give some history and how it got to this point but I thought it soured the sales effort (intentional, implied or otherwise).

Actually, i believe #26 in 9.4 or above is one of the most common early FF's. Not exactly rare compared to other FF issues (thumbs u

There's really no precedent for the price he is asking regardless of what the 9.6 sold for. Other than 1 sale 2 years ago, there is a VERY clear precedent for this book selling in the $3500-4000 range as evidenced by his $3800ish purchase. He can ask whatever he wants for the book but that doesnt mean he isnt subject to criticism when he offers the book for triple its value in my eyes. I've got a 9.4 #14. If i put it up here with the special boardie price of $7,000, i wouldnt exactly be shocked if i get blasted for it.

The more i think about it, the more i back what bomber did. From what i've seen so far, i'm definitely not losing any sleep if his daughter decides not to give us boardies any more "special deals" on her books ;)

Jason, the real issue is the sanctity of one's sales thread, not just for the OP, but for everyone, at least it is for me.

I've made the comparison before, and I'll make it again. You put a car up for sale in your front yard with a big "For Sale" sign and an asking price. Your neighbor, perhaps in his desire to "protect the community" wanders by when someone stops to look at it. He tells the prospective buyer what you paid for it, that he doesn't really see you change the oil or do much maintenance on it, and offers his opinion that he doesn't really think its a great deal. Doesn't really make for a good neighbor, does it?

Again, if you want to point out something you see as an inconsistency, or perhaps even an outright lie or fabrication, send a PM to the seller or start a thread in General. But keep it out of the guy's sales thread. No one is telling you to not act in accordance with your conscience, but just be respectful of where you give voice to your thoughts and beliefs.

While not even looking for it I just noticed it on Clink, listed at 16,000 .

Interestingly enough there is another FF 26 in 9.4 on Clink with White pages

asking 7500. No bids yet after 3 months.

I would say PM him with the criticism. The real value of a book is what somebody is willing to pay.

Jason, the real issue is the sanctity of one's sales thread, not just for the OP, but for everyone, at least it is for me.

I've made the comparison before, and I'll make it again. You put a car up for sale in your front yard with a big "For Sale" sign and an asking price. Your neighbor, perhaps in his desire to "protect the community" wanders by when someone stops to look at it. He tells the prospective buyer what you paid for it, that he doesn't really see you change the oil or do much maintenance on it, and offers his opinion that he doesn't really think its a great deal. Doesn't really make for a good neighbor, does it?

Again, if you want to point out something you see as an inconsistency, or perhaps even an outright lie or fabrication, send a PM to the seller or start a thread in General. But keep it out of the guy's sales thread. No one is telling you to not act in accordance with your conscience, but just be respectful of where you give voice to your thoughts and beliefs.

I hear ya Jive and kind of agree with you. Like i said, im torn on this one. I definitely think we should respect others sales threads but this thread definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Bomber,

$16,000 on eBay?!?!? :ohnoez:

Good luck with that! I hope his daughter has A LOT of patience! She may be out of colege by the times it sells! (thumbs u

Thanks,

Tim (and Abby)

Good luck with your sale, here or eBay. :wishluck:

It's a cool book & just might find a buyer for your BIN. :applause:

Best Regards,

Bill -- TupennyConan

You put a car up for sale in your front yard with a big "For Sale" sign and an asking price. Your neighbor, perhaps in his desire to "protect the community" wanders by when someone stops to look at it. He tells the prospective buyer what you paid for it, that he doesn't really see you change the oil or do much maintenance on it, and offers his opinion that he doesn't really think its a great deal. Doesn't really make for a good neighbor, does it?

Depends on who you ask, the car owner or the potential buyer.

You put a car up for sale in your front yard with a big "For Sale" sign and an asking price. Your neighbor, perhaps in his desire to "protect the community" wanders by when someone stops to look at it. He tells the prospective buyer what you paid for it, that he doesn't really see you change the oil or do much maintenance on it, and offers his opinion that he doesn't really think its a great deal. Doesn't really make for a good neighbor, does it?

Depends on who you ask, the car owner or the potential buyer.

There is no secret with a CGC graded book other than the original purchase price. If there was a history with a raw book etc, and there appeared to be wrongdoing or fraudulent activity with the seller it may be one thing, but you don't like the price, tough titty. There are lots of sales threads with lots of books.