• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF PRESSING ISN'T RESTORATION.....

217 posts in this topic

Should we press for a higher grade when we can? Is this good, bad for the hobby? Thoughts?

I foresee a slew of screwed up books that were relatively nice before after Junior starts his home pressing operation....

Jim

You personally did not say you expected CGC to detect pressing, but based on the obvious, it seems like people everyone expects CGC to know whether a book has been pressed or not. Since the topic of this thread is decided whether pressing is restoration or not, naturally you (CGC) would have to be able to spot it.

It's like any other form of resto, and while some may slide by, please don't try and tell me that 100% of current Universal "press jobs" are totally undetectable.

Restored books have slid under the CGC radar before, so does that mean they just throw up their arms and stop checking? Same goes for press jobs, and the ones they can detect should be flagged as such.

I'm sure some pressing is detectable, some is questionable and some is untraceable. Like I said an hour ago...do you want CGC to guess whether your book has been pressed or not? Do you want them to guess at what pressing was natural and what pressing was done to make $$$?

It seems to me that the only thing making most of you decide pressing is restoration is because of the financial rewards it produces. You allow natural pressing but you have no realistic definitions of what that really is. If a corner is accidently bent backwards it's ok to bend it back forward but not pressed back forward. Comic pages were meant to be moved and bent.

A book that is properly pressed does in 1 day what nature could do in 5-30 years, assuming "nature" is putting that comic on the bottom of a very large stack of other comics. In the end, long after we are all dead, both comics will be flat and unrestored.

Timely

I'm not disagreeing....I'm just saying that I suspect that dealers are also on the lookout for already slabbed high grade books that they think they can break out of the slab, press and resub for the next step up grade, and more $$$$$$.

No way, really, ya don't say, nah not those guys, I heard they are simply trying to clean up the hobby buy pulling more and more impressive books out of their magic hats. hi.gif

If it is removing a defect, YES.

so if a collector takes an eraser to a pencil mark on a comic that is resto?

If someone puts a stack of encyclopedias on a comic to press it- that is resto?

Huh?

V

And Borock does pick some tasty wine! tonofbricks.gif not sure what this is supposed to me....

893applaud-thumb.gif

This is my opinion also. Whether it can be detected is irrelevant to the issue of whether it's restoration.

Since the topic of this thread is decided whether pressing is restoration or not, naturally you (CGC) would have to be able to spot it.

Understood. I just come from a different camp. I don't care about how detectable something is. I just care about what has been done. I don't understand how the ability or the inability to detect a process makes it resto or not resto. The deed has been done. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif what I wished I would have saved thread on was an early discussion of this, might have been in the Resto forum when I just joined the boards. Can't remember who, though I swear it was BOC, posted a nice flamer, with auction links to known dealers bidding on Ebay presses??? Now if someone could track that baby down, or remembers it I'd like to re-assert it here.

CGC does not consider DRY cleaning (earsure, not water or solvent) and pressing (when not taken apart and done correctly/safely) restoration. (previous italics taken from the SB post linked)

My response to that is tongue.gif

I mean - how many people are there in CGC who make restoration decisions? I am sure a handful. So what we have is a handful of people saying such and such and it is suddenly true?

We have a pre and a post conditions. If things were done to get a post-condition book to a pre-condition book, that is restoration.

And if it is not restoration, I'd like to know what it is.

PS - Have met Steve, eaten a meal with him, drunk his pricey wine, and like the guy - but I don't have to agree with him dagnabbit!

You are well on your way to understanding, my friend.

CGC does not consider DRY cleaning (earsure, not water or solvent) and pressing (when not taken apart and done correctly/safely) restoration. (previous italics taken from the SB post linked)

I mean - how many people are there in CGC who make restoration decisions? I am sure a handful. So what we have is a handful of people saying such and such and it is suddenly true?

We have a pre and a post conditions. If things were done to get a post-condition book to a pre-condition book, that is restoration.

PS - Have met Steve, eaten a meal with him, drunk his pricey wine, and like the guy - but I don't have to agree with him dagnabbit!

What did the seeker of truth say to the Enlightened Hot Dog Vendor?

What did the seeker of truth say to the Enlightened Hot Dog Vendor?

I appreciate your frankness? confused-smiley-013.gif

"Make me one with everything?" Oh no, that's what the Zen Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor.... Damn, this is a tough one.

I appreciate your frankness?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Not bad but - nope.

"Hot dog! You're on a roll!" confused-smiley-013.gif

Another good one but - well - think INSIDE the context!

"Make me one with everything?" Oh no, that's what the Zen Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor.... Damn, this is a tough one

You got it in one. "Make me one with everything."

I forget the way I heard it originally but soon inserted "seeker of truth" as it made just as much sense. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I have to admit that Clark's initial guess was a pretty good one though. 27_laughing.gif

"Make me one with everything?" Oh no, that's what the Zen Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor.... Damn, this is a tough one

I forget the way I heard it originally but soon inserted "seeker of truth" as it made just as much sense. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I have to admit that Clark's initial guess was a pretty good one though. 27_laughing.gif

It was indeed (damn that Khaos and his clever ways).

It seems to me that the only thing making most of you decide pressing is restoration is because of the financial rewards it produces.

Nope, but when it comes down to motive, restoration is done with the intent to improve a book's condition, marketability and profit upon resale.

Are you really saying that the incredibly rare instance (Church) of pristine books sitting in stacks for decade upon decade, was done so they could be resold at a huge profit? foreheadslap.gif

Well,....Joe,...I'm sure you use heavy backing boards and tight Mylars on your older books as most of us do,....now that has a direct effect on the book over time by straightening out and flattening a book over time,...is that intentional Restoration??