• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF PRESSING ISN'T RESTORATION.....

217 posts in this topic

Hold on, there's a distinct difference between doing the work yourself and accepting a consignment from someone who did. The lynch Jason Ewert wagon had long since sailed a while back and without real merit (as does most things on these forums). Suddenly it's not the case so we're looking for a new reason to jump all over him again? He takes a consignment, that's what his job is. To take consignments from sellers and sell their book on eBay.

Brian

Was there any work done to the book, or was it just a 9.4 to 9.6 resub? confused-smiley-013.gif

Only his hairdresser knows for sure...

Perhaps more to Dr.B's point, would Jason definitely know if the book had been pressed from 9.4 to 9.6 ? I would think it would take a sharp eye, and a very keen memory - or better yet, handy before-and-after scans at decent resolution, to make that call with certainty...?

Hi Captain,

Nothing personal, but why did it take so long for this info to come to light? And seriously, your description of the book's course (although I have no reason to doubt it's truth) is a bit convoluted, and I don't feel that my assumption was irrational. All I did was note a very obvious resub, whose original owner (Shin Kao) gave the opinion that it might have been pressed. So if I see it being offered be Jason Ewert as a 9.6, wouldn't it be fair for me to assume it was Jason's book? Again, why, like a month later, is this info coming to light?

By the way, do you know anything about the resubbed Daredevil 18 9.6 Green River on Heritage right now? Was that put up there by Jason? And would Jason be willing, or interested in coming in here and discussing the issue of pressing? Or should I communicate to him through you?

Thanks, Hook

from what i've been able to gather, this pressing biz seems to be motivated by higher scores, which translate into higher returns.

although I don't like the practice (just from what i've read so far on these boards), what makes anyone think this Jason guy is the only one doing it?

there are plenty of big time dealers in n.a.

i think its pretty aboveboard for anyone to believe other dealers wouldn't want to get in on the gravy train.

If you are simply undoing some trivial defect that was caused by poor handling (a small impact, bend, light crease, etc. that was caused after the book's printing process), you are only putting the book back to its original, untouched state (the way the book looked before the ding/crease/bend occurred). This is not restoration.

This is a very strange comment coming from a high grade collector. confused-smiley-013.gif

How would you see a bend, light crease etc as a 'trivial' defect when the difference in price/grade between the book with, and the book without, could amount to thousands of dollars?

although I don't like the practice (just from what i've read so far on these boards), what makes anyone think this Jason guy is the only one doing it?

He is not the only one doing it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, Caltenator, would you please let us know who you are? This is obviously the only topic you are interested in and I have to believe you are a possible shill. You could allay those suspicions by telling us a little bit more about yourself. The rest of us are pretty open. Of only four posts, they have all been dealer defenses. Who are you?

In one of your other three posts you mentioned you knew Steve B. before CGC, but you never explained how. And you said you'd done deals with Jason E. but you never clarified. Would just being honest be such a tough thing?

This was from our last chance encounter. You never answered any of my questions....what's up?

on vacation!!! So nice to get a break from the cold and rain! Nice to be back. A lot has happened since I left I see. CGG fraud scans and trimmed books, Comiclink being blamed for fraudulant sales, new thoughts on polybags, Ewert vindicated from the conspiracy theorists, and some cool cover swipe comparisons I never knew existed!! Some great stuff!!

To be fair, these are, in large part, different conspiracy theorists grin.gif I probably fall very close, if not squarely in, some of the 'konspiracy kamps,' but not the "Jason E conspiracy"... confused-smiley-013.gif

Now, the "clean, press and resub" conspiracy, on the other hand...

I don't know what you want to know. My name is Keith and I live in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. I have been happily married for seven years. I have 2 kids and a floppy eared basset hound. I collect bronze age comic books and some silver age. I know Steve (ok not real well but I have talked to him several times) when he was a golden age collector in the 90's. He was always one of the nicest guys to talk to when seeing him at shows and he hasn't changed even though he has to have the toughest job in comics keeping all of us happy while maintaining a profitable and credible company. If I had situations where I was unsure a book was restored I would ask Steve at a show and ask him his opinion on the presence or absence of restoration. Even though he was a golden age guy, he always took the time to look at my $100.00 bronze age key that I know he had no interest in collector-wise. He was the best in the business I always thought. I dealt with several of the major dealers before CGC during the raw book age and I am still learning the ropes when it comes to learning the intricacies (I know that is spelled wrong) of slabbed books. I am learning each day and love CGC as a whole. I think the company is the greatest thing to come along in comics. And anything Steve represents I am all for no matter what!!! I have done many raw deals with Jason E. over the years and he was one of the only guys I could buy a book through mail order because his grading was right on, if not too strict. I know he flys all over the country to look for quality books and always continued to come up with them when no one else could. I have seen him work a comic convention floor like know one else, prying out all the best books. I remember he had a Strange Tales Annual #1 I saw at San Diego that was the nicest copy of that book I had ever seen! I could have gotten it for a $1000.00 at the time, but it was just too rich for my blood. At any rate, I hope this helps.

Captain,

Because I respect your opinion, I read through your post on this thread again and wanted to ask a couple of things......

1. It's obvious that people disagree about whether pressing is restoration or not. Fair to say?

2. Since you know Jason well, to your knowledge, does he professionally press any of his books? From your post, I would assume the answer is yes. Correct me if I am wrong. Because if he does, and you feel so strongly that pressing isn't restoration, there shouldn't be any hesitation in answering yes to the question.

3. If I or anyone else were to consider bidding on one of his auctions, and preferred not to put down big money for a pressed book, (realizing that some of us "do" consider it a form of restoration), and I emailed Jason asking if it was a pressed book, would he tell me? Shouldn't he? Or should it remain a big secret?

I am taking the position of the buyer who works hard for the money they hand over to dealers, and who I feel, have every right to delve further into the specifics of the transaction. It would be like me going onto a used car lot, and being told I can't ask if the engine has been steam-cleaned, replaced, or is the original. And we're talking about cars that in many cases are cheaper than the highend books on Ebay.

4. Since Jason knew the history of the DD 11, quite well, and obviously knows if it was pressed or not, whether he was selling it himself, or for someone else, has nothing to do with this issue.

5. Am I to read you correctly as stating that the majority of books Jason sells are high end 9.6s and 9.8s that he pulled raw from boxes at stores and conventions around the country? If so, can I rub his head for good luck a couple of times.

Look Cap, I have no ax to grind with Jason. I am sure he is an upstanding citizen. So am I. So are you. This is simply a matter of consumer advocacy, and Jason just happened to put up a book on Ebay that was irrefutabley a resub, and that was probably pressed. That is why I called it out. The fact that the book disapppeared within the hour off eBay with no explanation given until now, only fueled the appearance that something was not above board and that a nerve had been hit. So it wasn't silly of anyone to make assumptions based on the info available.

Again, we can go round and round the bush about restoration. As I said, this is about being an informed consumer. I think that the sooner dealers just freely admit when a book has been pressed, really as a service to their potential customers, things will start to clear out on this subject. To suggest that we, as buyers, shouldn't ever question a sellers motives or the features of the product we are buying doesn't sit with me.

If Jasons reputation has suffered at all, and I certainly meant him no harm personally, it is in part caused by the curtain that he and other dealers have drawn over the issue of pressing. I assure you this is not about drawing attention to moi,.....it's about stating as plainly as possible, with examples, my opinion on this hot topic. It's about sending a call out to dealers that not all of us want pressed books, and simply want some additional information before we buy.

Not one major dealer will admit to pressing. Why? Because they know opinion is strongly divided on the issue and they don't want to risk a lowered interest in the high end books they are selling. How soon is the day coming when a seller of silver age high end material will not hesitate to add the phrase "professionally pressed by Matt Nelson" to their auctions?

The motivation, obviously, is not just to make prettier books, it's to increase the profit margin of the sale. Who am I to question that?

But as the guy at the other end, laying out the greenbacks, I do have every right to ask questions about what I'm buying. Jason just happens to be the poster boy for the issue at the moment. I would LOVE to hear his opinion on this.

Finally, and most imporatantly......I am not saying Jason or any other dealer should not press their books. I am saying that if they want to keep their good reputations intact, and be fair to the buyers who pump money into their businesses, they should opt for full disclosure. If dealers do disclose pressing in their auctions, and the guy next to me does not have a problem with pressing, knows the book he is bidding on has been pressed, and feels the book is worth it to him to pay a premium for the higher grade, then I pretty much have to sit here with my big mouth shut!

Hook

Not one major dealer will admit to pressing. Why? Because they know opinion is strongly divided on the issue and they don't want to risk a lowered interest in the high end books they are selling.

Instead of beating around the bush, let's call it what it is:

Deceptive business practices.

It's truly sad that few in the comic community have any real morals, and take the illogical view that "if CGC doesn't catch it, then it's alright".

That kind of attitude is gonna cook the golden goose a lot faster than any speculator meltdown. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Brian,

I couldn't agree with you more. Jason is a comic book dealer and makes his money by buying books at x & selling them at y to earn a profit. He also accepts consignments and makes a profit on these books as well. Was he supposed to say no to the DD 11 consignor because he was able to upgrade the book from a 9.4 to a 9.6? Of course not. Nobody who sells comics for a living would.

I still can't believe how much flack Jason is getting. There are so many dealers out there who are so dishonest, sneaky, etc., but somehow Jason is getting screwed here.

For all you folks who think I'm posting this to curry some favor from Jason, etc., forget it. I haven't even seen Jason since the end of January at the Big Apple show and he wouldn't even know (unless he's viewing this post) that I'm sticking up for him. I just happen to know the true story behind the DD 11.