• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know who this is?

70 posts in this topic

Too cool!!!

I got a call today from Father Maher a few minutes ago and just got off the phone with him. Not only did he remember the book, he gave me the WHOLE story.

He was 14 at the time my Human Torch came out and lived in RI. He had been collecting comics since he was 6 and would buy them at the local drugstore. He said he had a collection of over 500 GA books INCLUDING Batman1, Superman1 AND Action Comics 1! He even described the covers of all of them to me. Pretty much every superhero book during WWII was what he collected and saved.

He said he always kept them nice in a box until 1970. He sent away in a magazine for what he said was "a book that told you how much funny books were worth now" in 1970. A few months later he got a call from a man who somehow got his number from the people he ordered the price guide from. he wasnt sure if the man was from New York or Florida but since i got the book in Florida, i'll assume it was probably Florida.

He said the man asked to come up and see his collection which he agreed to. He said it was VERY obvious how excited the man was when he showed him his collection and it was VERY obvious the man was trying to hide how excited he was. He said he ended up selling the 500 book collection to the man for $5,000 in 1970 mainly because his father kept telling him it would be crazy to turn down $5,000 for a bunch of "funny books" he paid 10 cents for. He must have repeated to me 20 times how sorry he was that he ever sold them since he's read in the paper recently how much they would be worth and that he tries to never think about them and selling them. He doesnt have any books left now and never bought anymore after he was a kid.

Despite his age, he was VERY sharp and remembered pretty much every detail. He wasnt sure how many of the books he stamped but that he stamped most of them just to show that they were his. He actually apologized for stamping them to me and said he hoped it didnt ruin its value. I told him that some people dont like it but it doesnt really affect the value and for people like me, actually enhances the value.

He was actually very interested to talk to me and tell me the story and hear about CGC and how a bunch of us were discussing him and his book on the internet now.

I am really, REALLY glad that i found his number and got to talk to him. Hearing him tell his story made this book TEN times cooler to me now! :applause:

What's the point really? Even if it is him...

I'm not really getting the point of contacting the guy. "I own a comic that has your stamp on it".

He responds "wow, that's neat"

Now what?

It's cool if you locate him but chances are he's too old to even remember.

Ha-ha.

What's the point really? Even if it is him...

I'm not really getting the point of contacting the guy. "I own a comic that has your stamp on it".

He responds "wow, that's neat"

Now what?

It's cool if you locate him but chances are he's too old to even remember.

Ha-ha.

ZZZZZZZZZZING!

Here's what i originally posted a few weeks ago:

I'm definitely going to try and get in touch with the guy and will let you guys know the result.

Lets hope that i can:

A) get in touch with him CHECK

B) it is THE Charles E Maher and CHECK

C) he still is pretty sharp upstairs at his age and remembers collecting comics as a kid (thumbs u CHECK

I gotta say, i'm DAMN happy about how this turned out! :grin:

Too cool!!!

I got a call today from Father Maher a few minutes ago and just got off the phone with him. Not only did he remember the book, he gave me the WHOLE story.

He was 14 at the time my Human Torch came out and lived in RI. He had been collecting comics since he was 6 and would buy them at the local drugstore. He said he had a collection of over 500 GA books INCLUDING Batman1, Superman1 AND Action Comics 1! He even described the covers of all of them to me. Pretty much every superhero book during WWII was what he collected and saved.

He said he always kept them nice in a box until 1970. He sent away in a magazine for what he said was "a book that told you how much funny books were worth now" in 1970. A few months later he got a call from a man who somehow got his number from the people he ordered the price guide from. he wasnt sure if the man was from New York or Florida but since i got the book in Florida, i'll assume it was probably Florida.

He said the man asked to come up and see his collection which he agreed to. He said it was VERY obvious how excited the man was when he showed him his collection and it was VERY obvious the man was trying to hide how excited he was. He said he ended up selling the 500 book collection to the man for $5,000 in 1970 mainly because his father kept telling him it would be crazy to turn down $5,000 for a bunch of "funny books" he paid 10 cents for. He must have repeated to me 20 times how sorry he was that he ever sold them since he's read in the paper recently how much they would be worth and that he tries to never think about them and selling them. He doesnt have any books left now and never bought anymore after he was a kid.

Despite his age, he was VERY sharp and remembered pretty much every detail. He wasnt sure how many of the books he stamped but that he stamped most of them just to show that they were his. He actually apologized for stamping them to me and said he hoped it didnt ruin its value. I told him that some people dont like it but it doesnt really affect the value and for people like me, actually enhances the value.

He was actually very interested to talk to me and tell me the story and hear about CGC and how a bunch of us were discussing him and his book on the internet now.

I am really, REALLY glad that i found his number and got to talk to him. Hearing him tell his story made this book TEN times cooler to me now! :applause:

If someone ever asks what comic collecting is all about, link them to this post. :luhv:

I wonder who it was that bought the books frm him in 1970?

I should send him a pic of Chuck and see if he recognizes him! lol

1970 was the year of the first Overstreet Guide right? I think you could narrow it down to who was selling the Guide at that time as that sounds like what he sent away for.

I don't know if Overstreet sold them directly or if there were other dealers selling them but I am sure there are a few people here that would know.

Too cool!!!

If someone ever asks what comic collecting is all about, link them to this post. :luhv:

+1 (thumbs u