• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Age?

121 posts in this topic

This current period of comics as everyone here knows is called the "Modern Age".

But what name would come after Modern? Ultra-Modern perhaps? And I wonder when that one is going to begin...

I vote for an "Ultimate Age" starting with USM #1 in 2000.

We can keep Golden, Silver, and Bronze.

Let's end Bronze at 1979... and start "decade eras".

1980s comics - Independent Age(?)

1990s comics - Chromium Age(?)

2000s comics - Ultimate Age(?)

I think that there's a different name for the current age that Overstreet uses. Copper or Chrome or something. But I think they've tried to avoid using the actual name "modern" age when referring to the proper name of the age.

This current period of comics as everyone here knows is called the "Modern Age".

But what name would come after Modern? Ultra-Modern perhaps? And I wonder when that one is going to begin...

No in fact we do use Modern Age, but it's a sliding designation that always applies to whatever unnamed Age we're in right now. As people will see in the new Guide, we nail down our definitions of Bronze and...the one after Bronze, but then Modern just picks up after that one and on to the present. When another Age is named down the road, Modern will just slide up and designate that present day. At least that's the way it works around here. There's nothing after Modern - it's always the current period.

Arnold

I vote for an "Ultimate Age" starting with USM #1 in 2000.

Why?

The Ultimate line of comics are really not that important in the grander scheme of things. Thats like calling comics from the mid-80's "New Universe Age". 27_laughing.gif

As long as it's not the "Ultimate Age," I'd be happy...

Yeah, referring to an Age using something as flash-in-the-pan as the "Ultimate Line" is like going out on a first date, and then tatooing her name on your arm.

A few years from now, when Marvel is revamping their line (AGAIN!), speculators and fanboys will be saying "Ultimate what?". 27_laughing.gif

The Ultimate line of comics are really not that important in the grander scheme of things. Thats like calling comics from the mid-80's "New Universe Age". 27_laughing.gif

You're forgetting of course, the 2099 Age, the Heroes Reborn Age, and the M2 Age, among others. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the clarification, Arnold. I thought that I had read it in Overstreet, but I must have gotten it from somewhere else.

No in fact we do use Modern Age, but it's a sliding designation that always applies to whatever unnamed Age we're in right now. As people will see in the new Guide, we nail down our definitions of Bronze and...the one after Bronze, but then Modern just picks up after that one and on to the present. When another Age is named down the road, Modern will just slide up and designate that present day. At least that's the way it works around here. There's nothing after Modern - it's always the current period.

Arnold

Call it the Age of Aquarius.

The worst that could happen is the music gets better. gossip.gif

I've always thought Chromium Age was more fitting for the '90's.

Denotes the greed and multiple covers that brought the industry to it's knees.

I have no idea what thie current age should be called.

"The Age That Has Almost Nothing I Want To Read" perhaps? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nah. That fits the 90's as well.

There's more to read now than the drivel they spewed out then.

With all this discussion of the "Age" thing...I have a question: If the death of Gwen Stacey was the beginning of the Bronze Age, what monumental event in comic continuity was the beginning of the Modern Age?

My vote would probably go to X-Men # 137, and not only because it was the death of Phoenix, but because of all of the stories I have been told of people buying stacks of the book the day it came out and the immediate price hikes that came with that type of speculation. Seems, in hindsight, a perfect characterization of the last 25 years in the new comic market.

With all this discussion of the "Age" thing...I have a question: If the death of Gwen Stacey was the beginning of the Bronze Age, what monumental event in comic continuity was the beginning of the Modern Age?

My vote would probably go to X-Men # 137, and not only because it was the death of Phoenix, but because of all of the stories I have been told of people buying stacks of the book the day it came out and the immediate price hikes that came with that type of speculation. Seems, in hindsight, a perfect characterization of the last 25 years in the new comic market.

How about Howard the Duck # 1 then, four years earlier? Too soon after ASM # 121?

If the death of Gwen Stacey was the beginning of the Bronze Age

Are you sure about this...what about Conan #1? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Yep, Conan 1 started the BA. thumbsup2.gif